Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM

9 posts, read 14,251 times

Advertisements

Haha. Thanks a lot. I do have a Batchelors in Sports and Fitness, i've found that to be a major plus when going for coaching jobs abroad. I must of been getting the visas confused then as i thought i got a H2B before for my seasonal work in Chicago. Why do you have to return home for 6 months of the year with a J1? so you'd work over there for 6 months, then home for 6 then back for 6? Sounds like i'm getting confused with all the visa info. Still find it amazing how much effort it takes for a British person to simply come over and work in the states, i got my visa for Australia in 3 days and i worked in New Zealand for 6 months and that took a week to get a visa. Unneccessarily complicated! It does sound really nice over there so hopefully i'll hear back from Sone soon as i'm on tenterhooks right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 PM

338 posts, read 613,500 times
Bergen County!!

But for a 26 year old guy, South Florida is perfect place for you if job was no problem!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomworthington View Post
Haha. Thanks a lot. I do have a Batchelors in Sports and Fitness, i've found that to be a major plus when going for coaching jobs abroad. I must of been getting the visas confused then as i thought i got a H2B before for my seasonal work in Chicago. Why do you have to return home for 6 months of the year with a J1? so you'd work over there for 6 months, then home for 6 then back for 6? Sounds like i'm getting confused with all the visa info. Still find it amazing how much effort it takes for a British person to simply come over and work in the states, i got my visa for Australia in 3 days and i worked in New Zealand for 6 months and that took a week to get a visa. Unneccessarily complicated! It does sound really nice over there so hopefully i'll hear back from Sone soon as i'm on tenterhooks right now!
No kidding! If you were coming over from the middle east..no problem! I don't know why we treat our Allies as such... The J1 6 months..with a 3 month extension I believe is from the date you start work over here. It's complicated I know but we have become "experts" at it..lol : ) H2B is better if you can find a sponsor. Try looking through some of the high school and college openings. Nj.com and look under jobs - type in soccer coach. A few places are looking. High School and Colleges. This would be a better option for you... year round work with nice bennies.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
For 2000 a month you can try paramus, ridgewood areas they are very convinient to the city. I leave in these areas and moved to the U.S not to long ago. I pay around that for a very nice spacious 2 bedroomed condominium with indoor parking and the malls are close, lots of nice restaurants and easy travel to the city about 25 minutes. I liked hoboken but parking was crazy......

Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 AM

234 posts, read 537,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomworthington View Post
So it sounds like Essex county is a right off and not a good area to look at? The thing is i've lived in Chicago for 6 months and from an English perspective we always heard/thought it was a rough area but i never once saw a thing i was downtown a lot of the time, avoiding the south part of the city though. Is NJ like that? Overhyped and made to sound way worse than it actually is?
Maybe I can be of help. My husband is from Yorkshire (use to play for Harlequins), coaches Rugby and we both lived in Chicago also. NJ is weird. It's basically a big suburb of NYC. Most of the towns are like a movie set. Looks like a lot of shops, pubs, restaurants, etc in their "downtowns" but it's seems they are more of a facade because there does not seem to be much substance. I would recommend going to Setanta's website and see which pubs show the LIVE games. You can get Setanta on Cable TV here but you get a 24 hour delay. Go to The Hoboken British Expats Meetup Group (Hoboken, NJ) - Meetup.com and you can talk to some Brits in Hoboken and get their take. There are some good english shops, if you're jonesing for a pork pie or a cornish pastie http://www.myersofkeswick.com/- if Hoboken is too pricey, you could look at Kearney, NJ. It has a fairly decent amount of ex-pats. Town of Kearny

Hope it helps.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 2,856 times
Essex County despite having Newark is quite safe if you know where to go. Maplewood/South Orange is expensive, however there is a strong sense of community and if you're into the Brooklyn types (ie: independent film makers, authors, artists etc...). West Orange is a cheaper option and it's quite an integrated (politically, religiously, and racially) community. However unlike Maplewood/South Orange, there is no NJ transit train station within West Orange itself. Both these towns have a low crime rate despite their proximity wit Newark, East Orange, and Irvington. The Caldwells (Caldwell, West Caldwell, and North Caldwell) are also nice. As far as commuting is concerned, I would look at the NJ transit map and then look them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey