U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2008, 11:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,141,104 times

Advertisements

So the one example I used, free college for someone making 99,999 or less and no money for someone making 100,001 is good.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,257,547 times
No - I'm merely saying there are always cut offs... that's life. Try telling the IRS you are sending your payment one day late, see where it gets you.

If you need a 3.5 average to maintain an academic scholarship, and you get a 3.2, it's not good enough.

If Phelps would have come in 1/100th of a second later than another swimmer, he wouldn't have 8 golds now...

That's life. So if the cutoff on this is $100,000...then that's the cut off. It is what it is.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 AM

792 posts, read 2,064,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
It is what it is.
This saying has become daily verbage!!! LOL!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 AM

148 posts, read 454,013 times
EEEPNJ/ SUNIL'S DAD, I hear ya... I think the point that is being missed is that there ARE people who are working their "arse" off and are still not able to get ahead let alone just get by...so then what should a family with two working parents starve b/c their too proud to accept food stamps or donated clothing even though their income wont allow for them to sufficiently provide for their family....This idea that if you work hard it will pay off doesn’t allow for the fact that racism, sexism, prejudices, physical/mental handicaps, etc. keep many from getting any work at all...

Old 08-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
EEEPNJ/ SUNIL'S DAD, I hear ya... I think the point that is being missed is that there ARE people who are working their "arse" off and are still not able to get ahead let alone just get by...so then what should a family with two working parents starve b/c their too proud to accept food stamps or donated clothing even though their income wont allow for them to sufficiently provide for their family....This idea that if you work hard it will pay off doesn’t allow for the fact that racism, sexism, prejudices, physical/mental handicaps, etc. keep many from getting any work at all...
Let's not forget one other -ism that is SADLY becoming very, very big in our society - CLASSISM. It is totally against everything our country is founded on, but it is what we have become.... the elite in our society are doing all that they can to continue their growth at the expense of everyone else. We are the first generation that may see a DECLINE in our children's standard of living. This is reality. It's not a pretty reality, but agian... it is what it is. Doesn't mean we can't change it, but we're not doing such a great job of it so far.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
This saying has become daily verbage!!! LOL!!!
Sad but true. I used to hate that saying, but I'm becoming more grumpy in my old age. LOL

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM

23,985 posts, read 20,603,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I was using that as an example of how the govt. provides. No I wouldn't have taken free money to send my kid to a school that has many underachievers. I would rather die poor and be happy to say I was fortunate enuf to send my kids to good schools. I was just using figures supplied by the govt. My one son is going to graduate Princeton this year and daddy is paying 45K and I'm damn proud of it. I'm saying what mike was saying, go out and work your tail off and most likely you will be rewarded.

I'm glad you're so sure of this. Must be nice to be part of an America where that is guaranteed...........

Old 08-17-2008, 02:07 PM

5,306 posts, read 6,709,980 times
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN
I was using that as an example of how the govt. provides. No I wouldn't have taken free money to send my kid to a school that has many underachievers. I would rather die poor and be happy to say I was fortunate enuf to send my kids to good schools. I was just using figures supplied by the govt. My one son is going to graduate Princeton this year and daddy is paying 45K and I'm damn proud of it. I'm saying what mike was saying, go out and work your tail off and most likely you will be rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I'm glad you're so sure of this. Must be nice to be part of an America where that is guaranteed...........

More of reading what people what to read.

I don't see the word "guarenteed" in his statement. Did we read the same statement?

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Hard work "most likely" = success is becoming less and less of a reality for the majority of working men and women in the US. I think it is more important to address that than it is to pick apart words.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,073,852 times
Now wouldn't that be interesting--the majority becomes the minority. Suppose they turned around and started making claims on all the things the government had been reserving for the (former) minorities? I bet there will be an awful lot of protesting about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey