Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:41 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,499,958 times

Advertisements

Lived in Charlotte, NC from 1992-1998, in my 20s at the time, was an eye opening experience. Made the most of it, had a reasonably good time, made friends with some good people but ultimately decided to move back to NJ and it was the right decision for me. Just be warned - those that are considering flocking to places like Charlotte now - the traffic can be horrible and jobs are no longer plentiful. In fact, many people are moving down there without a job and are having a tough time of it. Too many people, not enough jobs. I suspect Atlanta is similar. Also be warned that crime/murders per capita in Charlotte is very high. It's not all peaches and creme down there. There's a give and take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM

17 posts, read 59,858 times
I lived in Marlton, NJ, all my life (just next to Cherry Hill), and moved to Roswell, GA about a year ago. Everything everyone on here says is relevant when it comes to your standard of living being higher here in GA. That being said, it is a different lifestyle. I have come to enjoy living here in Roswell, however my parents and sister are still in NJ and I miss them a ton! Plus, there are the little things there that I really miss, like awesome Italian food for example! Then again, that was home for me for a really long time, so I think it's normal.

If you didn't grow up there, I find it surprising you'd want to move somewhere that is going to be that much more expensive to live. I transferred here with my company last year, and took a 4% raise to come here. Then, about 3 months ago I took a new job with a different company and am now making about $10k more than when I left NJ. So, I wouldn't count on making a ton more money if you move to South Jersey compared to Atlanta. I found the salaries to be very similar (I have a Business degree and work in Finance/Accounting). If you went to North Jersey/NYC area, you woud make more money but have way higher housing expenses. When you add in the astronomical property taxes, it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

That being said, I still feel the urge to move back. But, that is more because I want to be with my family again and have the ability to see them whenever I want. I would have to take a cut in my lifestyle for sure, and probably would have to trade in my nice, new 1900 sq ft John Wieland townhome for a little 1200 sq ft condo that is probably 15 years old and has no upgrades It's all a personal choice, but if I hadn't grown up there and left my family behind, I don't think I'd be considering running back to NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey