U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,798,971 times
Default Anyone moved to NJ from the sun belt?

Anyone moved to NJ from the sun belt, and how has your experience been?

[I currently live in Atlanta, and plan to move to the northeast (likely NJ) in the near future.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 AM

... or intending to move to NJ (or northeast) from the sun belt, and how you make related decisions.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,241,020 times
Well, I made the move from NJ to Atlanta last summer, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. What are you trying to accomplish with the move?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,886,884 times
And we moved from Jackson Ms. to Jersey several years ago.
So ditto what Bob said!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Bob and JerseyJ,

Sun-belt: Low-cost, warm weather, reasonable employment opportunities, easy living

Northeast: Multiple cities in close proximity, natural (like Niagara Falls, shore) and man-made (like National Mall, Manhattan) structures, more exciting, ...

How does one make the decision (leaving issues like proximity to family, etc. aside). Is it a matter of:
(a) personality (which of the above you value)
(b) phase of life you are in (if you are going thru a stressful period of life, you want an easier location)
(c) whether you can manage it financially (I am assuming 100K for downpayment, 100+K family income needed for decent quality of life)

???
Thanks for your input.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Depends on what you want out of life, but IMO, the proximity to DC, NYC, etc., isn't enough to justify living there full-time- you just take a vacation if you want to visit those places. And living near these things doesn't make daily life any more "exciting", just like living in close proximity to Hollywood in LA doesn't make daily life there "exciting".

Unless there's something really pushing you toward NJ (like a job offer at a much higher salary), I'd say you're not going to really improve your situation- you'll deal with the same traffic, the same daily issues, etc.- you'll just get to work at a much faster pace and pay a whole lot more for your house and property taxes. Using your "$100k down, $100k salary" example, under standard mortgage industry practices, you'll be able to buy a house that's +/- $400k.

For $400k in most of NJ, you're going to get a small, older home on a small lot, and have property taxes of $6,000/year or more. There are exceptions to that rule (like heading far into south Jersey), but that's pretty much the norm. How well you'll live on the rest of your salary is going to depend on your lifestyle, number of kids, and a ton of other factors, but I can tell you that even at over $150k/year (with two kids), we were living a pretty mediocre lifestyle and living in a 3br, 1ba ranch that was built in 1950 in a so-so town. By comparison, we're living much better down here in Cherokee County on slightly less income.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Bob, Thanks for your input, I do understand all that you are saying.

I do realize that family incomes should really be much higher, I was using 100K/year as I seemed to have seen that as a low ball figure on the NJ forum in a couple of posts.

And I am thinking of Southern Jersey / Cherry Hill type location.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM

What's causing you to want to make the move to NJ, if I can ask?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
What's causing you to want to make the move to NJ, if I can ask?
There is no pressing reason other than the points I had made earlier about sun-belt positives vs. Northeast positives. I can live the rest of my life (comfortably, I believe) in Atlanta if I choose to. However, every visit to the northeast (where I have some family) feels wonderful and inspiring.

First and foremost, is it a matter of affordability? And second, the pace and expectations in the workplace that goes with higher salaries? If these can be effectively managed, would there still be a concern

Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,886,884 times
FromGA- Your quest is somewhat confusing. You seem to be rather comfortable with your life in Atlanta. Your motivation for moving is unclear.

Bobs' reply is dead on, the cost of living here is astounding (housing/taxes) compared to Ms. I am not sure why you are looking to leave Atlanta but you should factor in income, importance of family, life style etc.

Being close to NYC and Philly is great (unless you have that commute!) and Niagra Falls is a good 8-9 hours away by car. But we do have lots of lovely landscape and beautiful hills, shore etc.

So much for the lecture! We moved here for career advancement/life style and couldn't be happier, but that was after much research.

HEY BOB- We did the reverse commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey