Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 50,769 times

Advertisements

Is Springfield considered a nice place to live for young families? I know it borders some desireable towns (Millburn, Westfield), but seems to have more reasonable home prices. Is there a town center, or is Rt. 22 the main place to go for shopping? Any thoughts would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM

276 posts, read 747,225 times
springfield is ok. very very diverse. it seems to have a mix of bedroom communities, apartment complexes, nice homes, and a truck load of stores / shops. name it, you'll find it. traffic is horrid after they put in the Costco, do to merging onto 22. going West on 22 is much worse than going East. my wife works in springfield, but we would not want to move there, to be very honest. a lot of vagrants and drifters walking around on 22. they do not seem like a nice group of people, but rather tough. i would def. avoid.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM

157 posts, read 780,393 times
I agree with the last post. I would look in Westfield, Mountainside, and Madison. A little farther west: Berkeley Heights- you may get a little more for your money...

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 AM

22 posts, read 121,529 times
I agree with NJmom8, minus Westfield - they have one of the worst property tax reputations in NJ...if you are OK with this you can go but in looking at Springfield, I'd assume you want value and value ain't in Westfield LOL. The innermost sections in Kenilworth and Mountainside are OK.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM

170 posts, read 962,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
I agree with the last post. I would look in Westfield, Mountainside, and Madison. A little farther west: Berkeley Heights- you may get a little more for your money...
I live in Berkeley Heights - we are still in Union County so you still have the high property tax. Home values are the same. The taxes are a bit better in Mountainside because they do not have a school (they send their kids to Gov Livingston in Berkeley Heights) but property values are very high. Madison is insane property value-wise - a plain old 4 BD can go for over $800,000. Westfield has high taxes because there is no industry - my friend pay $12,000 for a small home with .17 acres.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 AM

60 posts, read 266,231 times
I'm just leaving Springfield after a couple years. It's a great town to live in! The schools are very good. They even have a public preschool. Lots of temples and (kosher) bagel joints. Taxes are much lower than the next county over (essex). All highways are close by. But 22 is a parking lot most of the day.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 PM

157 posts, read 780,393 times
Westfield has one of the top ten school districts in the state- that gives you some value for your money. The home values are VERY high, the person who pays 12000 may have a 1 million dollar home.

I live in Westfield- it is an amazing town- you get what you pay for....

Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM

170 posts, read 962,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
Westfield has one of the top ten school districts in the state- that gives you some value for your money. The home values are VERY high, the person who pays 12000 may have a 1 million dollar home.

I live in Westfield- it is an amazing town- you get what you pay for....
My friend paid $475,000 for his home and taxes arte $12,000 a year - very high taxes in Westfiled.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,571 times
My wife and I recently moved to Springfield. We are Jewish, so we enjoy the modern orthodox element that seems to be drifting around, also the Temples. The area certainly is spotty and diverse, you need to pick the right area/neighborhood as it is quite spread out. Having access to easy shopping on 22 is great and our house is located only 5 minutes from a Best Buy, Target, Whole Foods, New York Sports Club, PC Richards, Home Depot, and soooo much more, so it's very convenient. We are also 5 minutes from the Short Hills Mall, downtown Millburn, downtown Westfield, downtown Summit. What better than being right next to all of the action - and not having to pay the house prices to be located "in" the respective towns? BTW, we paid about $500,000 for our house, which is a split and completely renovated with about 2000 square feet, taxes are a mere $9,800 per year, not bad eh? Also, a walk to the bus stop gets me to NYC in the morning/evening, also a big plus. I think Springfield loses some value where we don't have a train station, such as Summit/Short Hills/Millburn. I hear the Westfield train station has a waiting list that goes for years out. Hope this helps!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
Do you live in Springfield or Union?

The Costco is not in Springfield it is in Union...as is the merge from 22. It is actually about 3 miles from the Springfield border so I am not sure what the Costco has to do with living in Springfield.

Also, there is only 1 tiny part of springfield that is anywhere near route 22...and definitely no vagrants walking around. Springfield is a great alternative to the high prices and taxes in the surrounding areas. Schools are great and small enough where each child gets the individual attention they need and everything is right there.

If you do not live there how would you even know how it is living there? I love when people put that a town is diverse like it is a bad thing...and BTW...it is not so diverse. The town is 40% Jewish, 40% Italian and 20% everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
springfield is ok. very very diverse. it seems to have a mix of bedroom communities, apartment complexes, nice homes, and a truck load of stores / shops. name it, you'll find it. traffic is horrid after they put in the Costco, do to merging onto 22. going West on 22 is much worse than going East. my wife works in springfield, but we would not want to move there, to be very honest. a lot of vagrants and drifters walking around on 22. they do not seem like a nice group of people, but rather tough. i would def. avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey