Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times

Advertisements

LMAO, I agree with wileynj and stripes17 hehehe!!! Besides, why make a simple left when you can go all the way to the right and around a jughandle? What's wrong with the scenic route lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Remember, there are two variations: the jug-handle, and the cloverleaf. I prefer the cloverleaf, since its all right turns. In some jug-handle cases, you have to make a left turn anyways.
Yes.

Other states do this too. They built a jug handle for the IKEA in Conshohocken, PA and Independence Blvd in Charlotte, NC has had them for years.

Having no left turns/jug handles means your arterials function more like expressways and less like city streets. So instead of the traffic having an average speed of 25mph it's more like 40mph. And instead of moving 800 cars per lane, per hour through an intersection you can move 1400 an hour.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Makes it easier for our seniors who forget to turn off their right turn signal
LOL WILEY!!

omg, too funny!

thanks to everyone for their responses!! I had some good laughs lol..........and understand it more!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Last month, when I was visiting New Jersey, I realized how far I had fallen, when I was simultaneously trying to make a left turn while using a cell phone.

Seriously, this made me laugh as I had done the same thing (sans cell phone). When I moved back to Jersey I kept looking for the left turn that doesn't exist. I can't tell you how far out of my way I would go just to finally get to the area where I had to make the left. I would wind up being totally infuriated with myself because what used to come so naturally wound up being lost for a while. Between that and getting totally smoked on the highways because my driving speed had slowed down some, I was a mess the first little while.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
LMAO, I agree with wileynj and stripes17 hehehe!!! Besides, why make a simple left when you can go all the way to the right and around a jughandle? What's wrong with the scenic route lol!!!
jughandles have been around forever, but if you don't like them, you can always blame corzine

Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Makes it easier for our seniors who forget to turn off their right turn signal
Talk about almost spitting my breakfast out!

Quote:
Last month, when I was visiting New Jersey, I realized how far I had fallen, when I was simultaneously trying to make a left turn while using a cell phone. (This was on Rt 37 west, coming from Toms River towards Manchester) The other people in the car corrected me about the left turn, but after that correction, it was also pointed out that I was on the phone, which constitutes a dubious 'double fault' in the Garden State. Oh yeah, about 3 hours later, I attempted to pump my own gas. Again, I was told "No!"
Don't most states have a cell phone law now?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not like it matters. I see people chatting away on hand held phones all day long while swerving in their lanes. Especially the soccer mom's in their Suburbans. I don't understand these people, they have to secure their kids in a giant "tanklike" galvanized steel vehichles, douse them with anti-bacterial everything and God forbid they get exposed to cigarette smoke, but yet they think nothing of talking on a hand held phone while driving them around.....real intelligent.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Talk about almost spitting my breakfast out!

In fact, Roslevr, most states do NOT have cell phone laws explicitly banning cell phone usage while driving. IMO, this is a good thing.

Handheld Cell Phone Bans: 5 states (California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Washington), the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have enacted cell phone laws prohibiting driving while talking on handheld cell phones.
With the exception of Washington State, these laws are all primary enforcement—an officer may ticket a driver for using a handheld cell phone while driving without any other traffic offense taking place.
Text Messaging: 4 states (Alaska, Minnesota, New Jersey and Washington) have a text messaging ban for all drivers.
Novice Drivers: 17 states and the District of Columbia restrict all cell phone use by novice drivers.
School Bus Drivers: In 16 states and the District of Columbia, school bus drivers are prohibited from all cell phone use when passengers are present, except for in emergencies.
Preemption Laws: Some cities, such as Phoenix and Detroit, have cell phone laws, but 9 states have preemption laws that prohibit local jurisdictions from enacting restrictions.
Some states, such as Utah and New Hampshire, treat cell phone use as a larger distracted driving issue.
Utah considers speaking on a cellphone to be an offense only if a driver is also committing some other moving violation (other than speeding).2
No state completely bans all types of cell phone use (handheld and hands-free) for all drivers.

New Mexico, where I live, you could probably spin a cell phone off your nose while driving while eating a Stouffers frozen dinner, and there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Not like it matters. I see people chatting away on hand held phones all day long while swerving in their lanes. Especially the soccer mom's in their Suburbans. I don't understand these people, they have to secure their kids in a giant "tanklike" galvanized steel vehichles, douse them with anti-bacterial everything and God forbid they get exposed to cigarette smoke, but yet they think nothing of talking on a hand held phone while driving them around.....real intelligent.
I'll have to think of a witty comment for the next time someone complains about me smoking while walking from my car to a store. You're right.

Quote:
In fact, Roslevr, most states do NOT have cell phone laws explicitly banning cell phone usage while driving. IMO, this is a good thing.

Handheld Cell Phone Bans: 5 states (California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Washington), the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have enacted cell phone laws prohibiting driving while talking on handheld cell phones.
With the exception of Washington State, these laws are all primary enforcement—an officer may ticket a driver for using a handheld cell phone while driving without any other traffic offense taking place.
Text Messaging: 4 states (Alaska, Minnesota, New Jersey and Washington) have a text messaging ban for all drivers.
Novice Drivers: 17 states and the District of Columbia restrict all cell phone use by novice drivers.
School Bus Drivers: In 16 states and the District of Columbia, school bus drivers are prohibited from all cell phone use when passengers are present, except for in emergencies.
Preemption Laws: Some cities, such as Phoenix and Detroit, have cell phone laws, but 9 states have preemption laws that prohibit local jurisdictions from enacting restrictions.
Some states, such as Utah and New Hampshire, treat cell phone use as a larger distracted driving issue.
Utah considers speaking on a cellphone to be an offense only if a driver is also committing some other moving violation (other than speeding).2
No state completely bans all types of cell phone use (handheld and hands-free) for all drivers.

New Mexico, where I live, you could probably spin a cell phone off your nose while driving while eating a Stouffers frozen dinner, and there wouldn't be a problem.
I do agree with having cell phone laws but think it should get enforced for everyone. I see many cops riding around talking with a phone to their ear.

I don't doubt that eventually more states will make it illegal to talk & drive.

NJ's roads are crowded. People don't pay attention for what ever reason. Cell phones are one more thing for them to do while not watching the road.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
I'll have to think of a witty comment for the next time someone complains about me smoking while walking from my car to a store. You're right.
Just carry around a couple of those masks that people wear for allergies and/or installing insulation and hand them out saying "here you go".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey