U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM

210 posts, read 432,974 times
Actually, this ends up saving on gas. UPS figured this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/ma...l?ref=bldgblog
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 AM

12,153 posts, read 10,469,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I moved here 8 mo. ago and always wonder why you can NEVER (rarely)turn left anywhere in this wonderful state? less accidents ??
It freaked me out I was driving alone with my handy dandy googled directions and it told me to make a left turn - then when i got to the intersection I saw the big "NO TURNS" sign. So I figured "okay, I'll just go to the light and make a U-turn but then I kept seeing the signs. Since I didn't know where I was going I didn't want to keep driving so I figured I'd just get in the right lane, turn that way and then come through the light from the opposite end, but when I got over I saw the U-turn sign and just followed it back around.

Driving in NJ was no where near as bad as driving in any city I've been to in Florida - the only time I hit a little traffic was coming back from Newark on Sunday, getting on the expressway - but even that wasn't bad compared to the traffic here in Orlando. There must be something to that "no turns" thing

Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,047,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Makes it easier for our seniors who forget to turn off their right turn signal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The state doesn't think its citizens are capable of pumping gas, let alone trying to make a left turn!

You both are too funny!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,047,134 times
All my friends from NY say the same thing about NJ. It cracks me up because I really do not know the true answer either.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

1,916 posts, read 2,832,884 times
I'm new to the state and I'm loving the no left turn. Brooklyn has become a completely lawless society with driving. Making U-turns whenever it suits you and cutting all four corners with people trying to cross the street. No left turns mean no u-turns and no people from the right lane crossing over to make the left. No getting stuck behind some idiot who didn't bother to put his blinker on, either. So far I'm adjusting nicely. Although I confess that I haven't yet ventured further than route 35 and 36!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 20,837,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I'm new to the state and I'm loving the no left turn. Brooklyn has become a completely lawless society with driving. Making U-turns whenever it suits you and cutting all four corners with people trying to cross the street. No left turns mean no u-turns and no people from the right lane crossing over to make the left. No getting stuck behind some idiot who didn't bother to put his blinker on, either. So far I'm adjusting nicely. Although I confess that I haven't yet ventured further than route 35 and 36!
It's survival of the fittest in NYC! I'd never drive here the way I drive in Brooklyn or Manhattan. You're either aggressive or just sitting there, driving 1 block every hour!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,668,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's survival of the fittest in NYC! I'd never drive here the way I drive in Brooklyn or Manhattan. You're either aggressive or just sitting there, driving 1 block every hour!
LMAO..it's soooo true T. What is it about your Dr. jeckell Mr. Hyde personality change once you get through the tunnel! I turn into an animal!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:46 PM

987 posts, read 1,733,806 times
Default Blame NASCAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I moved here 8 mo. ago and always wonder why you can NEVER (rarely)turn left anywhere in this wonderful state? less accidents ??
Because the quota of left turns are all used up by NASCAR racers and their fans, so we can only use what's left over (pun intended) -- either straight or right!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,668,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Because the quota of left turns are all used up by NASCAR racers and their fans, so we can only use what's left over (pun intended) -- either straight or right!
hut hummm... the PC term would be FORWARD please

Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,827 times
Hmm. .old topic?? NOT!! Not to this newbie - just arrived from WY (that's postal-code short-hand for Wyoming, for those of you who don't know!)..

I'm not going to let the NJ scenario beat me, but.. 5 days to my new office - 10 different ways to go and come back to/from my hotel....

My observations:

1) Other major metropolises have lots of people, and have lots of.. traffic and.. THEY manage left-hand turns!!

2) the argument that NJ is old - and has an already built-in infrastructure - doesn't "fly" - So is Mexico City, London, Rome, Paris (yes, I have driven in them all...)

3) the explanation that it is safer is LAME! Driving 45 mph is safer than is driving 55 mph. 55 mph is a "safer" speed than is 75 mph.

I for one, am glad I am not being instructed by the State of Wyoming that I must drive at the safer speed of 55 mph, or, God forbid, 45 mph rather than the more common speed limit of 75 mph.

I would rather have the consistency of being able to turn left as I am so used to doing on most other roads I have driven on - and "face" the dangers of the ... "LEFT TURN!!"

I mean, seriously!

So

It took me running dangerously close to empty (I had filled up in PA on IH 80) before I asked the front-desk clerk about a self-serve gas-station and I was told that that would be the exception rather than the rule...

So, yeah.. sort of funny... Lost - looking for a way to get "over there" (other side of the boulevard!), while talking on the cell-phone (illegaly here - NOT in WY) asking a friend how I might turn left somewhere - sometime - BEFORE I entered NYC, unintentionally!

I'm NOT a UPS driver. Don't make me drive with their "agenda". I feel that if I drive with confidence for 8 miles, it is far safer than me driving with uncertainty for 2 miles out of 10 miles (20 percent) - and madly looking around to ensure that I am on the right road.

just me, imho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey