U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,254,270 times
Default Why is NJ one big RIGHT TURN ONLY?!

I moved here 8 mo. ago and always wonder why you can NEVER (rarely)turn left anywhere in this wonderful state? less accidents ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM

2,738 posts, read 6,196,182 times
Because making a left turn across a busy intersection is dangerous, and when there are left turn lights, it slows down the flow of traffic from the opposing direction.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM

4,649 posts, read 9,262,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I moved here 8 mo. ago and always wonder why you can NEVER (rarely)turn left anywhere in this wonderful state? less accidents ??
Less travel time on the main line. By eliminating left turning movements (and hence a left turn signal phase) at intersections, there is more "green time" for through movements. It gets more traffic through than a traditional all-movements intersection. It usually adds delay to left-turn movements, but overall the intersection performs with less delay.

There is also a safety advantage because there are fewer "points of conflict" where the paths different turning movements cross one another. Also, the lack of left lanes means the intersection is 24-30 feet shorter for pedestrians to cross, but then the disadvantage is peds have to cross the ramps.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,436,427 times
Quote:
Makes it easier for our seniors who forget to turn off their right turn signal

Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM

362 posts, read 505,452 times
I think it's more because of the congestion. We sometimes can't afford to have left turn lane because it needs wider intersection. That's why most of the old crowded areas have jug-handle while newer areas, if they are less densed, have left turn lane. I might be wrong.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM

4,508 posts, read 6,026,157 times
Out here in "Happy Swell Meadows" NJ, we turn left all the time, just like the NASCAR drivers :O

Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 10,942,325 times
Last month, when I was visiting New Jersey, I realized how far I had fallen, when I was simultaneously trying to make a left turn while using a cell phone. (This was on Rt 37 west, coming from Toms River towards Manchester) The other people in the car corrected me about the left turn, but after that correction, it was also pointed out that I was on the phone, which constitutes a dubious 'double fault' in the Garden State. Oh yeah, about 3 hours later, I attempted to pump my own gas. Again, I was told "No!"

Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM

362 posts, read 505,452 times
If you are unlucky enough, you will see "ALL TURNS" sign and then when you get into the "ALL TURNS" lane, you will see that ALL SIGNS vanish all of a sudden. Then you are on your own to figure out how to come back and take a left turn.

NJ roads are very much intertwined and have lot of surprises.

That's why we don't want Cell phone talker. Just focus on your driving. Even with 100% focus, you are sure to make mistakes.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,089,981 times
Quote:
Remember, there are two variations: the jug-handle, and the cloverleaf. I prefer the cloverleaf, since its all right turns. In some jug-handle cases, you have to make a left turn anyways.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 PM

5,923 posts, read 6,479,827 times
The state doesn't think its citizens are capable of pumping gas, let alone trying to make a left turn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey