U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 AM

4,128 posts, read 7,818,807 times

Advertisements

Everytime we visit Jersey we stop and have our fill of grease at Rutt's Hut. Love them onion rings! I think the same waitresses are still working there from when I was a kid. Only cash accepted now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM

2,696 posts, read 4,797,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Ok, all I know it's not as bad as the "blue castle" - Let's see if anyone knows/remembers where that was?
Rt. 1 & 9 Jersey City

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,250,081 times
My guess is River Road and Belleville Tnpk, but I think that may have been a White Castle. We used to go there at 2am for "Rat burgers". (cuz it was on the river w/ river rats)
Do tell us where it was, Alex.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,521,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
My guess is River Road and Belleville Tnpk, but I think that may have been a White Castle. We used to go there at 2am for "Rat burgers". (cuz it was on the river w/ river rats)
Do tell us where it was, Alex.
the only eateries i can think of that have ever been near that intersection in my lifetime are the arlington diner (on the northwest corner of river road and belleville turnpike in north arlington) and stewart's, which is a 1950s-style hot dog stand (on passaic ave, just south of belleville turnpike in kearny). i don't recall a white castle at that intersection, unless it we're talking 30 years ago or more.

to answer the original question, people either love or hate the hot dogs at rutt's hut; seems like there are no lukewarm opinions about their food. personally i've always liked their "rippers", but i know many people who vastly prefer the hot grill in clifton, hiram's in fort lee, the now-closed callahan's in fort lee and elsewhere, or the "dirty water" dogs in newark such as tony's hot dog truck near branch brook park.

i think the reason why the detractors don't like rutt's hut is because of the deep frying; my friend thinks it simply doesn't taste as good as a grilled dog. personally, i think the deep frying is what sets rutt's apart, but to each his or her own. some people just prefer a certain style of cooking.

for what it's worth, i have a friend who recently moved to fort lee from the west coast and thinks that white manna's burgers are mediocre at best. this is sacrilege to many a north jerseyan, but in his words, "i just don't get the appeal". i told him he's crazy, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 AM

9 posts, read 11,841 times
Default Love Rutts Hut

Have been going to Rutt's Hut for 35 years and love thier dogs, not crazy about the cheap, synthetic tasting rolls but absolutely must have thier delicious onion rings on each visit. My #2 hotdog joint is Goffle Inn (?) in Hawthorne.

Anyone have info. on Jim Dandy's Barbeque in Westwood? Heard good things but have not been there.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
the only eateries i can think of that have ever been near that intersection in my lifetime are the arlington diner (on the northwest corner of river road and belleville turnpike in north arlington) and stewart's, which is a 1950s-style hot dog stand (on passaic ave, just south of belleville turnpike in kearny). i don't recall a white castle at that intersection, unless it we're talking 30 years ago or more.

to answer the original question, people either love or hate the hot dogs at rutt's hut; seems like there are no lukewarm opinions about their food. personally i've always liked their "rippers", but i know many people who vastly prefer the hot grill in clifton, hiram's in fort lee, the now-closed callahan's in fort lee and elsewhere, or the "dirty water" dogs in newark such as tony's hot dog truck near branch brook park.

i think the reason why the detractors don't like rutt's hut is because of the deep frying; my friend thinks it simply doesn't taste as good as a grilled dog. personally, i think the deep frying is what sets rutt's apart, but to each his or her own. some people just prefer a certain style of cooking.

for what it's worth, i have a friend who recently moved to fort lee from the west coast and thinks that white manna's burgers are mediocre at best. this is sacrilege to many a north jerseyan, but in his words, "i just don't get the appeal". i told him he's crazy, but hey, different strokes for different folks.
Yeah,
White Castle was right across the stret from Stewarts and a lil closer to the corner. There was also a cheesesteak place (Petes Place) right next door to Stewarts and sadly, I discovered it was turned into a Dunkin Donuts this year. I guess it could have been close to 30 years since the Castle was there? Yeah, very likely.
Wow! That made me feel really old!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah,
White Castle was right across the stret from Stewarts and a lil closer to the corner. There was also a cheesesteak place (Petes Place) right next door to Stewarts and sadly, I discovered it was turned into a Dunkin Donuts this year. I guess it could have been close to 30 years since the Castle was there? Yeah, very likely.
Wow! That made me feel really old!
wow, i totally don't remember the white castle in kearny. either my memory is failing me, or it must've closed and the building torn down a few years before my family moved to the area. too bad - i probably would've eaten there all the time if it had still been open when i was growing up.

i do remember pete's place very well, though. i didn't realize it closed down! too bad.

at least stewart's is still open - definitely a north jersey landmark. kearny has changed a lot over the past 25 years but going to stewart's makes me feel like it's 1983 all over again.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Stewarts was selling Christmas trees when I was there in Nov. Dec. They have been doing that FOREVER. I was VERY bummed to have Petes Place gone. All in all Kearny has held up pretty well. What years did you live in Kearny? I was there from 72-85. Graduated Kearny High in 79. I lived around the corner from "Satrielles" OK, West Hudson Auto Parts You??

Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,906 times
Quote:
Stewarts was selling Christmas trees when I was there in Nov. Dec. They have been doing that FOREVER. I was VERY bummed to have Petes Place gone. All in all Kearny has held up pretty well. What years did you live in Kearny? I was there from 72-85. Graduated Kearny High in 79. I lived around the corner from "Satrielles" OK, West Hudson Auto Parts You??
I know you aren't referring to me, but I am a former KHS graduate myself.

Well I used to live in the same area on Wilson Ave from 1986-1998. Satrielles fake pork store, lol. But I still go back to Kearny for Stash's subs and good fish & chips.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
i agree about kearny being in pretty decent shape. it isn't the flashiest town, but it's always been very respectable. the demographics have definitely changed over the years (especially in the southern part of town closer to harrison and east newark), which has brought about more ethnic restaurants and other businesses. still, everything always looks familiar to me when i pass through. there hasn't been a huge number of teardowns and new construction compared to some other north jersey towns, so it more or less looks the same as when i was a kid, except with more of a latin/ethnic flavor and less of a scottish/irish one.

i was actually never a resident of kearny (we lived in NA when we first moved to nj), but i did attend a parochial catholic school in town, so kearny was my home away from home for pretty much the entire decade of the '80s. my classmates, friends, foes, and little league teammates lived there, but when i finished eighth grade, it was off to high school in another town. i remember big stash's, pizzarama, chicken galore, sip 'n dunk, ben franklin (the 5 & 10 store), the video game arcade across the street from the library, frank's pizza (in the k-mart strip mall on passaic ave), two guys (which later became a channel hardware store), all of the fish-and-chip places (only a few of which are left), the movie theater all the way up near belleville turnpike, and of course the west hudson auto parts building (a.k.a. satriale's in "the sopranos"). it was always pretty cool to watch that show and see the mundane places of my youth in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey