Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
Holy ish! Are you kidding me???? I would not drop those charges ever!!! Keep calling and let them know you are not going away!! Just wondering....what race are you and what race the cops were?

Did you get a lawyer??

Yes I have two lawyers currently representing me and I intend on pressing charges - I am British and the officers involved were Hispanics..!!
I gave internal affairs a chance to correct what happened but it looks like its top cop protecting the other so when all is said and done and justice has been served they will know they messed with the wrong type of person this time around.

If you can get your civil rights violated just for driving through a town I wonder what else they can do to you if you decide to stop to go get something from a store within Newark.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 PM

146 posts, read 909,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
Yes I have two lawyers currently representing me and I intend on pressing charges - I am British and the officers involved were Hispanics..!!
I gave internal affairs a chance to correct what happened but it looks like its top cop protecting the other so when all is said and done and justice has been served they will know they messed with the wrong type of person this time around.

If you can get your civil rights violated just for driving through a town I wonder what else they can do to you if you decide to stop to go get something from a store within Newark.
Good for you. They shouldn't get away with that. I have heard so many stories about cops planting drugs on people it's not even funny. And its so hard to defend that in front of a judge. You are lucky they didn't say you were buying drugs to cover their azzes. I would go to the media too.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Default Somebody please give this Kid some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Ok you know everyone who says its disgusting doesnt live there. They have only drove through it or went to college there which doesnt mean that they experienced the city. People who do live there say it is bad but that it isnt like hell on earth like Camden is or Irvington or even East Orange. Plus it has a productive downtown so can I please hear from a Neward Resident that has lived in NEwark for a while and knows exactly what the city is like?
That is a rather strange request. If a Newark resident is here on city-data most likely they are looking to move out of there and will supply just another negative post. You really have to live in the area to know what it is like. These posts can not take the place of experience. Even just working there during the day would give you some idea. Newark is not a large city but it has big city problems. Some people liken the entire town to a bad section of Detroit but it has some areas that are just liveable and then more ghetto neighborhoods. The downtown is not that great. The museum is really nice, and symphony hall-but you will not get a taste of Newark from visiting those. You have to be with Newarkers. Many of whom are fine people despite often having to deal with 3rd world conditions in their town. Politicians in Newark are like anywhere else but only more so-they are owned by outside/special interests. That is just one of the reasons change never comes to places like Newark sadly. There is community/culture (Black and Latino driven) there that is positive but unless you are Black or Latino and seeking that-it will not benefit you. Newark is not integrated. That would not be a good thing at this point in time and it would only start to happen if current residents were displaced. Actually no one in Newark is expecting Euros to move back at this point so it is really not a concern. If you live in one of the "better" neighborhoods you will be living right next to the ghetto and dealing with all the same problems. I will assume you are white/asian and sort of naive(Based on the questions you have posted previously) for the purposes of this discussion. Whites are scarce or non-existent in most parts of Newark and if they do turn up it is often to purchase drugs or some other contraband. The police may eye you suspiciously if you are in certain areas-even in the day-time. This is kind of a no-brainer but some of your earlier posts make me think you are not very worldly or don't get out much. Either way-any one of us here would probably tell you the same thing. If you are considering an urban area-find one where there are some people who look like you. We all want new experiences but you have to use common sense as well. Many of the people in Newark are excellent working folk. They can not afford to live in the surrounding areas. This is the wrong website to go to for info on the realities of day-to-day life in Newark and places like it. If you really want to learn more- try a site like blackplanet. Also, once you move out on your own and become idependent-you will learn much very quickly if you are anywhere in the NY area. Just strike out on your own and many of your questions will be answered. You may not be very happy with what you find-but real life is very sobering and most of all instructive.

Last edited by cyntmac; 02-09-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Default Newark Is Well Known Throughout NJ

cyntmac wrote a great post. In NJ, it is not necessary to live in Newark to know how bad it is. Word travels fast, believe me.

My brother is in law enforcement and attends many seminars with officers throughout the state. Take his word for it, Newark is BAD.

In fact, which is worse-Camden or Newark? It would be quite a close call.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Quote:
Ok you know everyone who says its disgusting doesnt live there. They have only drove through it or went to college there which doesnt mean that they experienced the city. People who do live there say it is bad but that it isnt like hell on earth like Camden is or Irvington or even East Orange. Plus it has a productive downtown so can I please hear from a Neward Resident that has lived in NEwark for a while and knows exactly what the city is like?
I was born in Newark and grew up next to Newark. My dad was a Newark Homocide Detective....I don't think the hints can be any clearer than those I'm throwing your way, or that others are throwing your way. Newark may not be as bad as Camden, but then again, no city was last year because Camden was statistically rated as the murder capital of the country. So based on your theory that would make South Central L.A. a nice place to live. However, if you're looking to compare all of our cities in 21 counties in this state, then Newark and Camden are pretty much "fraternal" twins....hows that for bad....you can't base lifestyle on the business district because it's the business district, who lives plopped in the middle of that? Nobody. Not to mention those people that work in the business district...99.99999% of them don't live in Newark. They commute. You're asking our opinions and we're giving it to you. We are people who have lived in and/or around that place for years...yet you don't seem to trust what we're saying. Newark is bad...and I don't foresee any normal Jerseyan on here recommending you move there. If you don't believe us...go there...not to NJPAC, not to tour Rutgers, go walk the streets there, go sit in Weequaic Park, go walk South Orange Ave., take a look at the winners hanging in branch brook park when the cherry blossoms aren't in bloom, go check out grafton avenue and hallock street.....and see if you don't sh*t your pants or shake your head in disgust.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 37,099 times
Quote:
Seriously, you should just move there, settle down for few years, and experience everything on your own will if you think many people's suggestions are not useful.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
well.. i live in Elizabeth.. and i went a few times to newark when i was in HS to buy sneakers at Dr. jays.. after the 3rd time I never went back.. i saw a muggin going on in the middle of the day.. a couple were walking into some store and a van pulled up 2 guys got down and pushed the guy to the floor and just pocketed him and punch him a few times.. the girl was screaming for help but nobody did anything.. when they grabbed whatever they could they jumped back into the van and fleeted.. that was the last time i went out there.. not worth risking my life.. and i'm latino but damn, i felt like an outcast..

oh and another time i went to visit a friend who lived on north newark.. friend from college... meanwhile standing on his doorsteps.. 2cars were speeding by and the cops were right behind them.. it was a car chase.. few seconds later we heard a bunch of shots.. we went into the house 30 mins later i left.. on my way home, 4 blocks away there were people on the floor and blood all over.. it's like a hell hole..

Old 02-10-2007, 09:59 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Default Right On Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I was born in Newark and grew up next to Newark. My dad was a Newark Homocide Detective....I don't think the hints can be any clearer than those I'm throwing your way, or that others are throwing your way. Newark may not be as bad as Camden, but then again, no city was last year because Camden was statistically rated as the murder capital of the country. So based on your theory that would make South Central L.A. a nice place to live. However, if you're looking to compare all of our cities in 21 counties in this state, then Newark and Camden are pretty much "fraternal" twins....hows that for bad....you can't base lifestyle on the business district because it's the business district, who lives plopped in the middle of that? Nobody. Not to mention those people that work in the business district...99.99999% of them don't live in Newark. They commute. You're asking our opinions and we're giving it to you. We are people who have lived in and/or around that place for years...yet you don't seem to trust what we're saying. Newark is bad...and I don't foresee any normal Jerseyan on here recommending you move there. If you don't believe us...go there...not to NJPAC, not to tour Rutgers, go walk the streets there, go sit in Weequaic Park, go walk South Orange Ave., take a look at the winners hanging in branch brook park when the cherry blossoms aren't in bloom, go check out grafton avenue and hallock street.....and see if you don't sh*t your pants or shake your head in disgust.
Here, here, great post!

I don't know how better to put it then the above. I would recommend looking up the local papers online but remember that most of the real street crime doesn't even get reported because it's so common as to not even be reportable anymore. So at least two law enforcement officers have given their opinions, as well as other civilian New Jerseyans. One big thing I like about this forum is that people here will give out the REAL facts since nobody is trying to sell anything. And we all agree--Newark is BAD. Stay away from it if you value your life.

My little trip to Camden in November when we took a wrong turn left me waking up the next morning glad I was still alive. If an area is not safe, we don't hold back as none of us want to see anyone get hurt, or worse. The truth, even if brutal, can be found in these posts.

The best thing I can say about Newark is that the airport is located right off the NJ turnpike and you don't really have to drive through any environs around there to get to it. Not much of a positive remark, but that's all I can think of on the plus side.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
yea i am white but i grew up in an all black neighborhood. I am familliar with huge amounts of crime and drugs. What i am really more interested in is what Newark has to offer. I dont care about a crime rate because Ive been through that and know how to handle myself in tight situations. I know Newark is cheap which is what interested me. I want to know that if I lived in Newark i would be able to find a decent job, i would be able to find mass transit to take me pretty much whereever i wanna go and if I find an OK neighborhood in the process then i do. If not, so what.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Default Breaking it Down-final post

Quote:
yea i am white but i grew up in an all black neighborhood. I am familliar with huge amounts of crime and drugs. What i am really more interested in is what Newark has to offer. I dont care about a crime rate because Ive been through that and know how to handle myself in tight situations. I know Newark is cheap which is what interested me. I want to know that if I lived in Newark i would be able to find a decent job, i would be able to find mass transit to take me pretty much whereever i wanna go and if I find an OK neighborhood in the process then i do. If not, so what.
You would probably be o.k. working downtown -there are some decent jobs there. That area is also a transit hub. But it is not a case of the transit taking you wherever you want to go there. You will not be able to roam freely in Newark. You will learn this very quickly. It is not about handling your self in situations at all. If you are living in an all black area in NJ it is likely similar to Newark and you should already be aware of this. "I don't care about a crime rate" is like a statement from Mars for anyone in urban NJ. No matter what race you are. Where do you live? If you actually ever do live in Newark you will be operating in a very small area. I was thinking of the downtown area because that is the only logical place. You will not be roaming or using the subway to get around to the different hoods-trust me.(Newark has a small old school subway) Is there a reason you would be seeking employment in Newark specifically? If you are interested in someday investing in Newark (business, real estate)-that is a loaded issue and a high risk venture to be sure. Check out a website on urban renewal and be sure to go to a Newark (local) discussion board as well.
What does Newark have to offer you? Very little if you are white/asian and again you will not have freedom to roam. Look at the earlier posts. You can commute and go to the museum- no need to live there for that. You say you live in Nj. You should already know this. There are cultural/social/civic offerings for you if you are Black. A bit less if you are hispanic. Let's break it down.
If you are white/asian -Newark is a not advised.
If you are hispanic-I will not give my rec either. There are BETTER quality of life places for you that are similar enough to Newark but not as bad. Hispanics in Newark tend to be clustered or in sections. Again if you have to-I would say downtown area only.
If you are Black and young w/o kids-I will still not give my rec here. However there are cultural/social/civic options for you in Newark that you could check out. If you happen to fall into this category and like the cheap rents-you might be satisfied with Newark for a time but if you are not from there you should get your bearings before you roam around trying to do research on where to live.
If you are Black with kids-I will again not rec Newark. If you really have no other choice try East Orange first. You can network during daylight hours and you should not be out in the clubs anyway(you have kids!)

In closing, you will probably not see any more responses to this thread. Newark's offerings FOR YOU are best experienced as a commuter at this point in history. That may never change. Sometimes things are not about race but this is the real world and if you live in it you already understand. Most of the posters here would not rec Newark for non-whites(I would wager this). In those instances it is a case by case thing as I have stated. If you really grew up in an urban area as you say-you would be cautious just hanging in Newark. If you live in NJ you know there are a few lower income places adjacent to Newark that you might check out. You could take the train in for work. Check out the papers and websites. Start a thread on a local Newark chatboard about living downtown if you must be in Newark at all costs. Also the Colleges down there might have info on that. But they deal with commuters mostly so it may not be much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey