Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 AM

47 posts, read 255,630 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've got some options in both towns. I currently reside in S. Jersey so I don't know much about the North. I'll be commuting to Columbia via the train everyday. I do have a car and I'm scared to leave it just parked on the street all day while I'm at school.

Can anyone give advice, opinions, thoughts?

Since I'm going back to being a poor grad student, money is an issue now...the places I'm looking at are between $850-$1,000. I only need a 1BR with a closet and kitchen.

I'm only looking to rent for this year or two and then I'm gonna hightail it back to S. Jersey and buy a place in Collingswood or Mt. Laurel.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 AM

7,054 posts, read 19,251,680 times
My personal opinion? Forget Jersey. Go to craigslist and in the NYC section do an apartment search for "Inwood." It's cheap and IMO feels safer than most of the stuff you'll get in Jersey City or WNY in that price range for a 1-br. It's also a much shorter commute to Columbia. Get rid of the car and you can contribute a couple hundred more toward rent to get an even nicer place, or contribute to your down payment fund. Also, look into roommate situations. Morningside Heights is a bit pricier than Inwood but a roommate would make it more affordable.

If you must live in Jersey (for whatever personal reasons, etc.) I'd recommend getting a roommate. $2000 can still get you a bare bones 2-BR in downtown JC, or a reasonably nice place in Journal Square or the Heights (nicer unit, less nice 'hoods). In West New York I'd recommend staying close to the river (Blvd East or Park Ave, though these areas aren't cheap). There are buses which would take you to the PABT, from which you'd connect to the 1 or the A (your choice) to get uptown.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,254,205 times
Downtown JC is really the only area of JC you want to be in. I live there...for $1,000 per month you will NOT find a one bedroom. Maybe $1,300. But you can probably get a 2 bedroom for $2,000, if you're willing to get a roommate.

I don't think any of the areas in the Columbia area of Manhattan are safer than Downtown JC, or the nice part of West New York.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM

47 posts, read 255,630 times
selling my car is not an option, as i need it for work.

i also can't move out of New Jersey, i have to keep my resident status.

it's only 1 year so i'm not worried.

thank you so much for your tips! i'll let you know how i make out.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 28,894 times
I'll offer my opinion on JC - it depends on the demographics of the area you wish to live in ;
Newport/Paulus Hook/Downtown - pricey, though you might share an apt within the range you're looking at (look through craigslist shares); Safer; Cleaner; not so diverse (lots of asians); Not too many food options in the area; easy commute to NYC
Grove Street - moderately safe within a two block radius of the PATH station; less prices than newport by $200-300; diverse; lots of food options; easy commute.
Journal Square - less safer, again depends on the area you pick here; diverse; easy commute; lower prices (see the trend as you're moving away from downtown)

Again, all area which are within close proximity of the PATH stations are considered safer, and as you move away you'll get into dubitable neighborhoods.

Parking - Street parking is a nuisance; so be ready to shell out anything from $100-200 bucks for paid parking depending on where you stay.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,037,881 times
I live in WNY and work in JC and there is no way I'd want to live in JC> You can find cheap apt. in WNY if you look hard enough. Go with the company URBAN AMERICAN. That management company has many properties all over WNY and nearby to NYC without having to go over !,000 a month.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM

438 posts, read 963,520 times
you don't go to either unless you like punishment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey