U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,375 times

Advertisements

My car failed for inspection for having a hole in the manifold exhaust. I got it fixed yesterday but I'm being told by my father that if I take it back to inspection they won't accept it because I don't have a reciept from the mechanic who fixed it. He said that I'll need proof that a certified person fixed my car for this semi-serious problem.

Is this true or can I just go and get my damn car a passing sticker? I dont want to wait another 5 days for my mechanic to get back form vacation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,647,300 times
Ive heard of that too. I think you do need receipt, but not sure. Just go there and see. NJ inspections are so corrupted - all to make money..

Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 9,229,967 times
this is dumb, what if you fixed it yourself? do you need to be certified to replace or patch a muffler? just print something official looking and scribble PAID CASH on it.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,137,881 times
Need a receipt for this or proof that someone certified inspected the car and it was fixed.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,751,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcc2cc View Post
My car failed for inspection for having a hole in the manifold exhaust. I got it fixed yesterday but I'm being told by my father that if I take it back to inspection they won't accept it because I don't have a reciept from the mechanic who fixed it. He said that I'll need proof that a certified person fixed my car for this semi-serious problem.

Is this true or can I just go and get my damn car a passing sticker? I dont want to wait another 5 days for my mechanic to get back form vacation.
If the repair is considered to be an emissions related repair (I'm not really sure because you didn't provide enough detail) you need to either document that you purchased parts to fix the problem or you went to an emissions repair facility to fix the problem. A simple hole in an exhaust pipe (NOT the catalytic converter) shouldn't be considered an emissions problem, but rather a noise issue. In any event, who gets their car fixed and doesn't ask for a receipt? I would simply ask a person in the office to provide you with a copy of it just in case. Or you could go to Pep Boys, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc...and buy a 2' section of exhaust pipe for eight bucks or so, present THAT receipt, and just tell the inspector that you did the repair yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Ive heard of that too. I think you do need receipt, but not sure. Just go there and see. NJ inspections are so corrupted - all to make money..
Auto inspection in New Jersey is free...how are they making money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
this is dumb, what if you fixed it yourself? do you need to be certified to replace or patch a muffler? just print something official looking and scribble PAID CASH on it.
You can perform any emissions related repair yourself. It's very clear if you bother to read the regs on the DMV website.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 9,229,967 times
it was a rhetorical question.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:20 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,801,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Or you could go to Pep Boys, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc...and buy a 2' section of exhaust pipe for eight bucks or so, present THAT receipt, and just tell the inspector that you did the repair yourself.
My friend did this and he passed without any trouble.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,647,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Auto inspection in New Jersey is free...how are they making money?
Not the private ones. Whitman's 're-organization' of the inspection industry has cost tax payers tons of money on the garbage that went into it.

See also EZ Pass system for similar issues.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,751,555 times
Quote:
Not the private ones.
Hmmm...let's see. Pay $80.00 for a private inspection or get a free one from the state. Boy that's a toughie!

Quote:
Whitman's 're-organization' of the inspection industry has cost tax payers tons of money on the garbage that went into it.
Can't argue with you there.

Quote:
See also EZ Pass system for similar issues.
That's been fixed for a while. The sky is still intact, I assure you.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,402 times
My car failed inspection today because of tinted windows. I have never gotten my car inspected in NJ before beacuse I just moved here from NY....is there any way I can pass without having to take the tint off my car? I have NEVER failed before in NY for tint.....it was soo insane I couldnt beleive it!!...If I take it to a private place will they pass me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey