Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM

139 posts, read 723,827 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if you good people could make some suggestions to us. I am originally from New England and my husband is a lifelong New Yorker, for his job he works in both southern NJ and Manhattan. We currently live in NYC but want to move to NJ, can't move too far from the city, preferably not more than a 30-40 minute train ride.

We need a 4/ 5 BR home (as large as possible, we have a lot of kids and husband needs a home office), budget is up to $600k assuming we can sell our current home. Otherwise closer to $300-400k and we would keep our current home as a rental property.

We would prefer somewhere a bit diverse, i.e. not all white or all black (or all anything). And if there is any variation with property tax rates, of course we want to be where it is lower.

Obviously we want a place with low crime and decent schools. We could homeschool so the school district won't be "the" factor for us, but a good highschool would be nice. And being near a decent college would be good too (thinking forward for the kids...).

Okay, here's where it gets a little weird. My husband does not have a driver's license (grew up in the city, always used the subway) so we need a place in or near a "town center" so things are within walking distance (post office, library, train). We also prefer the older homes (colonials/ victorians), we really dislike ranch homes.

Any suggestions? Your advice is greatly appreciated. TY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
small budget for big house within 30-40 mins. of NYC. I usually play on gsmls.com
Take a peek at some of the areas so that you can get an idea what 600K gets you in towns near nyc : (

Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
keywords: close to NYC, train to NYC, "diversity", ecomomy, low taxes, good schools, close to a college.

answer: Try looking at the GREAT NOTCH section of Little Falls and SW sector of West Paterson near Montclair State University. Also look at the west side of Clifton too.

you will have to forgo the "walkability concept" here unless you want to take on some higher taxes and go into Bloomfield (essex county) along Bloomfield Ave.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
[
Okay, here's where it gets a little weird. My husband does not have a driver's license (grew up in the city, always used the subway) so we need a place in or near a "town center" so things are within walking distance (post office, library, train). We also prefer the older homes (colonials/ victorians), we really dislike ranch homes.

Any suggestions? Your advice is greatly appreciated. TY!![/quote]

Take Willeynj's advice and look at gsmls.com for anytown for like

Also add my town in
Rahway New Jersey Home Page

When you do a search
None of these are my listings but
Here are a few mls #s for you
They are all Victorian's and all within walking distance to the trains or bus

Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM

36 posts, read 139,291 times
You'll want to check out the public school government statistics, especially for high schools. There is a lot of variation in the performance and safety of NJ public schools, so pay close attention to that aspect of various towns.

NEW JERSEY SCHOOL REPORT CARD 2006-2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey