Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,180 times

Advertisements

My problem isn't with rent(yet)...but maybe someone can help answer this. My landlord sent his brother and a plumber to fix my toilet that wouldnt flush. After a half hour of snaking they took out the toilet and trashed it. Then they ran to home depot, came back and put the new toilet in. When I asked what they were doing they said they had to break the old one because there was some sort of deodorizer stuck in it.Two weeks later I get a bill from my landlord's plumbing co.for almost $900 (Cost of toilet,labor, and administrative fees). It only took them an hour and I never saw the "alleged" deodorizer. Not to mention, I'd only been living here for 3 months. Now, am I responsible for this bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
My rent was just raised over 10%. What constitutes an 'unconscionable' rate increase? I tried discussing this face to face with the manager who said that they had to bring everyone in the complex up to 'market price'.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,399 times
How much can private owner house raise rent increase in nj I have no write lease

Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
yes taxes go up.. but I'm not broke and still have a positive cash flow.. besides I prefer tenants that are on time and I'm already comfortable with than tenants that I have to get to know and take the risk of missing rents.. if someone misses 1 rent that's approx 1500. if I loose 30 bucks a month * 12 is 360 dollars more.. I'm still gaining.. that's the problem with many people, they get greedy.. yes I will raise rents eventually.. but prob 50. this year.. people like this idea better.. also i try to have 2 yr leases.. I know that for 24 months the rent will be there.. and they know the rent won't go up in 2 years.. i think this is a better business model.. there are tons of apartments everywhere.. landlords must be conscious with the tenants.. I guess that's why my tenants are content and stay for long periods of time..

I agree as well. Good tenants are hard to find.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredkiss View Post
How much can private owner house raise rent increase in nj I have no write lease
There is no set amount as far as I know. If you think the amount is unreasonable you are going to end up in court.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Without a written lease, I don't think that you have much of a legal leg to stand on when it comes to trying to resist the landlord's demands. However, as was already suggested, you could take the landlord to Housing Court.

The absence of a written lease makes me wonder if your apartment is a legal occupancy. If it is not a legal occupancy, then taking the landlord to court will inevitably lead to your having to vacate that apartment, so I think that your actions should be dictated by how much you like that apartment and how much you want to remain there.

And...for future rentals, make sure that both you and the landlord sign a lease, just so that the terms of the rental are clear to you before you move in.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM

Thank you all

Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM

I don't thinks is legal occupancy what do I do I don't want to move I have a one month old baby the original was with the mother not her daughter and the daughter getting involve smh

Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I agree as well. Good tenants are hard to find.
Agree +1

We have not raised rent on our tenant for 3 years even the property tax in Jersey City is getting crazy. Actually we cut the rent for them the second year they moved in because their social security got cut. They are good tenant and maintain our condo very well and always pay before due day. That's the most important thing.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Without a written lease, you have no rights at all and are month-to-month only, though they have to go through ordinary channels if they want to evict you. NJ, like all other states, requires a lease to be in writing. Otherwise, you don't have most of the rights that ordinarily accrue to tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey