U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 13,131,734 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Brick, NJ. We left NJ due to work relocation in 1990. Since then we've lived in three other states (VA, MD, NC); currently living near Charlotte, NC.

We miss these things: 1) Walking the Point Pleasant boardwalk in the evenings; 2) Our very dear friends and their family's (our families left NJ too); 3) Pork Roll & Cheese sandwiches at the Allenwood General Store.

Aside from those things, there is absolutely nothing I miss about NJ that would ever make me want to live there again. We'll stick with visiting NJ on occassion.

Sour grapes about NJ? Not in the least.
Taste of the good life in another place? Oh yeah! And it's a sweet nectar!
Rate this post positively

Old 05-04-2008, 05:55 AM

36 posts, read 81,150 times
I would go back in a heartbeat! Left NJ for FL about 5 yrs ago. Now I have 2 FL properties (residential & comm'l) that I need to unload first.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM

29 posts, read 87,721 times
As I write this, I'm sitting in a hotel room in St. Louis, MO. I'm in the second day of my trip to Tucson, AZ. to begin my new life. I couldn't take the sky-high taxes anymore in N.J. 7,8,9 or even 10 thousand dollars or more for property taxes???? Are we all insane? For me to remain in N.J., I would have to bury myself under a mountain of debt and I refuse to do that to myself. That's why I decided to leave. I'm sorry for everybody who loves N.J., but I just can't justify paying those exhorbitant taxes anymore. And for what??? Because people think the schools are that much better in N.J.?? I beg to differ. That's like saying that every other state is turning out stupid children because their residents don't pay as much in taxes as N.J. does. I'm sure that's what the NJEA would like everybody to believe. Anyway, goodbye N.J., it was nice while it lasted. But I can't afford you anymore. I'll try and visit a couple of times a year. Signed, a lifelong resident who was forced out by N.J.'s insatiable appetite for money.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM

474 posts, read 1,200,542 times
Default Absolutely Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssebnj View Post
As I write this, I'm sitting in a hotel room in St. Louis, MO. I'm in the second day of my trip to Tucson, AZ. to begin my new life. I couldn't take the sky-high taxes anymore in N.J. 7,8,9 or even 10 thousand dollars or more for property taxes???? Are we all insane? For me to remain in N.J., I would have to bury myself under a mountain of debt and I refuse to do that to myself. That's why I decided to leave. I'm sorry for everybody who loves N.J., but I just can't justify paying those exhorbitant taxes anymore. And for what??? Because people think the schools are that much better in N.J.?? I beg to differ. That's like saying that every other state is turning out stupid children because their residents don't pay as much in taxes as N.J. does. I'm sure that's what the NJEA would like everybody to believe. Anyway, goodbye N.J., it was nice while it lasted. But I can't afford you anymore. I'll try and visit a couple of times a year. Signed, a lifelong resident who was forced out by N.J.'s insatiable appetite for money.
I was very moved by what you wrote. It is a sad but true fact that it is New Jersey that has "left" people, not the other way around. Most people who say they love it here that I have spoken to are pretty set financially. Not rich, but certainly with an income approaching or reaching six figures. As more and more immigrants and others pour into the state, the hard working middle class will be called upon to carry more and more of the tax burden. There will be a day when the last natural patch of woods or fields will disappear under the developer's equipment.

I think we all have gone a bit mad. Being bred and born here, having spent the bulk of my life in this state, I have watched it deteriorate until it is almost unrecognizable. Your post is very much the truth.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM

5,801 posts, read 12,052,761 times
Quote:
I'm ONLY at almost 16,500 with the new school and mun. taxes. Gotta love it. We are being reassessed in the next few months so they could probably round it out to 20,000 to do me a favor.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,506,611 times
We've been in Oklahoma two months now. I like it here, DH likes it here, and my 16 year old daughter does as well. My 18 year old son hates it, but he's not making any effort to adjust either.

We don't have great bagels, but we have fantastic barbeque. We don't have phenomenal pizza, but great tex-mex food. We have Thai restaurants, a Chinatown, and most of the chain restaurants (Chili's, Red Lobster, Bennigans, etc.), as well as fabulous west and mid-west chains.

Our cost of living is about 45% lower than our col in NJ. I was just offered a job at the same salary I was making in NJ. DH has an interview tomorrow with a company who is offering a salary about $5000 less than he was making in NJ (after 10 years).

Aside from prices, everyone is much more relaxed here, and Oklahoma City itself is doing well. This is a quote from Forbes.com on the speculative recession:

Take Oklahoma City, Okla. With falling unemployment, one of the country's strongest housing markets, and solid growth in agriculture, energy and manufacturing, it looks best positioned among the nation's largest metropolitan areas to ride out the current crisis.

Sure, we've had a couple of tornado warnings, but we have sunshine about 85% of the time. There is no traffic congestion, taxes are low and life is good. We just received an offer on our NJ house today, which will be a great relief.

We won't be coming back to NJ. Even if this doesn't work out, we would go somewhere other than NJ. It's simply too expensive, too crowded, to stressful and has a government too quick to take your money for their own agendas.

Of DH and my 6 siblings only two are left in NJ, and at least one of them is currently looking to move out as well.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Hi colleeng47, it's funny that you posted yesterday. I'm in Oklahoma City right now but will be leaving in the morning to drive to Albuquerque and then on to Tucson Wednesday. When I was driving on I-44 today, I saw a car from N.J. and also one from N.Y. and one from PA. Maybe the whole Northeast is packing up and leaving, hahaha!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,532,427 times
Quote:
Wow, I have a twin.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,532,427 times
Quote:
Hi colleeng47, it's funny that you posted yesterday. I'm in Oklahoma City right now but will be leaving in the morning to drive to Albuquerque and then on to Tucson Wednesday. When I was driving on I-44 today, I saw a car from N.J. and also one from N.Y. and one from PA. Maybe the whole Northeast is packing up and leaving, hahaha!
You driving through Las Cruces? Stop by for a bite:

Three years here and debt free.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Mike0421, yes I will be passing through Las Cruces to pick up I-10. Also, thanks for the pic. I love Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey