Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We're going wild with ourselves and doing concrete anyway.
The concrete stamping is pretty cool! Have you checked that out? I did pavers..lotsa em! Over 1000 sf ourselves!! I just now have fingerprints again . It was hard work but it looks great! Did the area around the pool.. even did the bullnose myself which I am very proud of . A friend just had the stamping done around her pool..looks nice but it's already cracking . She had them tint it with a nice reddish brown slate looking color... nice touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Ugh, stamped concrete. Looks so fake and non-authentic. Plus...it CRACKS!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I was told that PAVERS aren't considered permanent and won't increase your taxes but that concrete is permanent and will increase them. Of course, it was the paver guy that told me that, so I'd double check.
It woulkd depend on how the pavers are installed. If you set them in sand, or some other permeable substance, they would not be considered impervious, and perhaps not permanent either. Most installers of pavers, however, will tell you that if you want them to continue looking good, and to require less maintenance, you will want to use a layer of concrete in which to set them.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
The pavers do look beautiful - maybe too nice. I don't want the house to be overshadowed. lol. I guess all tastes are different but I actually like the stamped concrete better for what we're doing. It does come with a 1 year guarantee so they'll repair any cracks during that time. He said if it's going to crack it usually does it during the 1st year. But I take everything salesmen say with a grain of salt! We're waiting for an estimate from the people who came last night. We're also getting a second fence estimate. It's a nightmare having to deal with people. We usually do a lot ourselves but I just don't want to do this. If the whole area was flat, maybe. But there's a grade and for once I'd like to just be able to hire someone and have them show up and do what they said they'd do. I'm sure I'm dreaming, though. With the mosquito situation I feel like we're really just building the patio for them anyway. And, darn it, they're not getting pavers!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Concrete will crack from shrinkage within the first year, but it will crack eventually due to the freeze-thaw cycle, and the heaving of the slab. I would never, ever, put stamped concrete at my house. Looks fake/cheap, and guaranteed to crack...often within only a few years. You may want to re-think...just my friendly advice.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 PM

By the way, Irish Eyes, the only way to truly "repair" cracks in concrete is to remove and replace the entire patio or a large portion of it. I doubt this company will do that (they wouldn't be in business), so be wary of this offer.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM

43 posts, read 175,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Approval from your local construction dept. and zoning officer. And yes, your taxes will go up but not much..couple hundred . Actually, mine went up by about $500/yr. but that included the pool. They went back down again this year by about the same
Willeynj,

Why did they go down? I thought property tax never go down.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have a feeling it's more of a "setback" issue - not coverage issue.

Actually, I think it was percentage of lot coverage, as opposed to rear setbacks. No metion of impervious ratios.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That strikes me as odd. The issue with covering a percentage of the property is usually a water permeability issue. They want to make sure that water can get into the ground & drain properly. So they set limits on "impervious coverage". A deck, because it is usually raised off the ground, and allows water to flow through & under it, does not USUALLY fall into the impervious coverage category. A patio, which is usually situated on or even IN the ground, with a layer of weed blocking black plastic, and often set with a layer of concrete, is much more often impervious coverage. How is it that yuor friend was not allowed a deck, but is being allowed a patio?

A small deck is nice ( 12 x 18 ) these guys want big, no need for a deck that big (22 x 40) even their patio, I think, is too big.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshum88 View Post
Willeynj,

Why did they go down? I thought property tax never go down.
Not sure but I'm sure as hell not going to call and ask why . All my neighbors went down as well. My theory... they started to build a million dollar playground but the people in my twp. complained so they shut down the project. Maybe they were collecting monies for this project and no longer need it? We really don't need a playground out here for the kids... the school has a huge one already and most of the lots out here are over 2 acres..plenty of room in our own yards for kids to play in. We are only 2000 strong - very small community. The playground would have been a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey