U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM

874 posts, read 2,693,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Hell I experience that right here in the Phlly area
Good for u
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,454,168 times
I've lived in 4 different state, NJ, SC, VT, and WV. By a looooooong shot, NJ is the BEST. Yes, the people here are real and take it at face value. When you go into a business, you will get what you went in for or they will tell you where you can.
It seemed to me, in the South, people just don't want to work. There are entire towns that shut down from 12-1 for lunch and there were many places that gave you 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for lunch as there was no way you could get it and have time to eat it in an hour. Made me crack up. Service can't be beat in NJ.

Kimberland - a word of advice - get over yourself and don't hate. Hate is ugly.

WV was about the most messed up of all - I can go on for hours about that place. VT was nice, but it is a different attitude. SC is just all messed up as well. Yes, they will be syrupy sweet - but only to your face. Don't turn your back.
NJ is the best - no question.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 AM

4,749 posts, read 9,229,967 times
What was your take on VT and where in VT were you?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 AM

617 posts, read 2,213,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I've lived in 4 different state, NJ, SC, VT, and WV. By a looooooong shot, NJ is the BEST. Yes, the people here are real and take it at face value. When you go into a business, you will get what you went in for or they will tell you where you can.
It seemed to me, in the South, people just don't want to work. There are entire towns that shut down from 12-1 for lunch and there were many places that gave you 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for lunch as there was no way you could get it and have time to eat it in an hour. Made me crack up. Service can't be beat in NJ.

This made me think of a thread I read where the person was not getting good service in a diner or restaurant he was in. It was actually very bad service every time he went in there. There's a lot of talk about "Northerners coming to change us..." etc... Well, let's say the service IS bad, would it be too crazy of an idea to buy some land or an existing restaurant and give BETTER SERVICE and hopefully make people want to come back to your establishment? If that is "changing things", then why not change things?

I'm not the type of person to ruffle feathers, especially when I go to a foreign place, but if it's broke.... AND I'm getting the short end of the stick... should I just accept it?

Surely not every place is like this, but I do hear a lot of stories about stuff like that, and about how Norhterners want to change things. Maybe I see why that is now.

Surely it's not that cut and dry, but I can see how these things may happen. 'People' are what make communities. It doesn't matter where you are, you can have the best, or worst experiences. Just playing the odds, maybe. Prejudice, I guess. Everyone has it. If not initially, then with experience. That's a whole other subject.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 AM

665 posts, read 1,308,143 times
Quote:
I agree,it's a very observational sharp type wit. Sometimes sarcastic,and it's something I have that I notice most people other than NJ'yans just don't seem to get. Alot of times it's referred to as 'negative' but I've rarely heard that word used in NJ...to us it's just reality!
I know what you mean. I have lived in the south almost a yr. When we came I told my husband he better explain his sarcastic humor to our new neighbor. I could see by the look on the man's face he wasn't sure if he was joking or not!I miss the openess , and sarcastic humor of NJ. Although we are teaching our neighbors Jersey humor, new words, and it's okay sometimes to be open..I think they take our to the point attitude as rude. I have been told more than once"you're from Jersey", you don't seem rude! I then proceed to try and explain Jersey peolpe...p.s. I miss my Jersey, awful!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,454,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
What was your take on VT and where in VT were you?
VT was probably second to NJ of my favorites, IMHO. I was in Bellows Falls, a long time ago, now. It was nice. We were right across the street from the river, (the Connecticut I think?) and on the other side of the river was NH. Not a bad place all in all. I really can't say anything negative. Different personalities, more serious (yes, more so than NJ if you can believe it). I think we are more friendly. I had to laugh at my husband when we pulled over once for directions and the guy barked them out like he was annoyed with us for asking and my husband didn't know quite how to take it. The guy wasn't annoyed, just that's how they are, not rude, just to the point with no joking or humor in their responses. They are nice though, when you get to know them and understand that they are just different than NJ people. I'd take it over the south, any day.

It was funny, when I lived in SC, and I'm not joking, you saw people with bumper stickers saying "I don't give a damn how you did it up north". And it wasn't just one vehicle I saw it on either.

As soon as you would speak without the southern accent, in most places, not all, people would immediately get their chests puffed up and want to battle you about how "this is the way it is" and had a "deal with it, this isn't the north" attitude. And that would be from just asking a question, trying to figure out how things work. Their point being, don't ask questions. That can leave a northerner very cynical. I mean I got to the point that I wouldn't ask questions and they had that attitude because THEY didn't know the answers. In my opinion, there are far too many places (people) in the south that are still fighting the war. They're stuck in a time warp and have nothing but disgust for anyone that's not. Nice place to visit....... I'm sure you know the rest.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,516,135 times
Quote:
VT was probably second to NJ of my favorites, IMHO. I was in Bellows Falls, a long time ago, now. It was nice. We were right across the street from the river, (the Connecticut I think?) and on the other side of the river was NH. Not a bad place all in all. I really can't say anything negative. Different personalities, more serious (yes, more so than NJ if you can believe it). I think we are more friendly. I had to laugh at my husband when we pulled over once for directions and the guy barked them out like he was annoyed with us for asking and my husband didn't know quite how to take it. The guy wasn't annoyed, just that's how they are, not rude, just to the point with no joking or humor in their responses. They are nice though, when you get to know them and understand that they are just different than NJ people. I'd take it over the south, any day.

It was funny, when I lived in SC, and I'm not joking, you saw people with bumper stickers saying "I don't give a damn how you did it up north". And it wasn't just one vehicle I saw it on either.

As soon as you would speak without the southern accent, in most places, not all, people would immediately get their chests puffed up and want to battle you about how "this is the way it is" and had a "deal with it, this isn't the north" attitude. And that would be from just asking a question, trying to figure out how things work. Their point being, don't ask questions. That can leave a northerner very cynical. I mean I got to the point that I wouldn't ask questions and they had that attitude because THEY didn't know the answers. In my opinion, there are far too many places (people) in the south that are still fighting the war. They're stuck in a time warp and have nothing but disgust for anyone that's not. Nice place to visit....... I'm sure you know the rest.
I've been in South Carolina, a lot. They love their college football there. The bumper sticker I saw there, (more than one) that I will never forget, is about their team, the Gamecocks. The bumper sticker: "You Can't Lick our *****!"

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM

468 posts, read 208,011 times
Quote:
That's like when I was in Florida I saw stickers that said 'You've Seen Fla...Now Go Home!'
I guess places just get tired of the same thing coming in all the time.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM

617 posts, read 2,213,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
) about their team, the Gamecocks. The bumper sticker: "You Can't Lick our *****!"

Well, maybe that's why their upset. I would be too.

Wait, is that NJ wit?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM

3,852 posts, read 6,124,117 times
Quote:
That's like when I was in Florida I saw stickers that said 'You've Seen Fla...Now Go Home!'
I guess places just get tired of the same thing coming in all the time.
I see the same type of bumper stickers around here. " Bennies go home", "I'm a local don't blame me". After speaking to many people in this area and meeting many "LOCAL" people they do dislike people from north Jersey. And I'm within walking distance to the beach not in the middle of the pinelands. So you can only imagine moving into the boonies of SC or NC or Tenn. Well since the NORTHERNERS went back to north Jersey, it's time to go to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey