U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

77 posts, read 214,652 times

Advertisements

I don't like rude, crude, loud and obnoxious people. Nor do I care for lazy, dirty, slovenly people. You can also keep arrogant types. You can find them in all 50 states.

You can also find some of the nicest people in all 50 states.

I've traveled all over this country and don't believe in the stereotypes nor the generalizations. Even if there ever had been any truth to them, we are so mobile and so many have relocated from every geographical area to every other geographical area that it doesn't hold water for me.

Even politicians, they're the same everywhere you go................

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM

3,859 posts, read 7,000,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
I can't wait to come back to NJ. Believe me I'm counting the day's until I can come home and be with you all again.

You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can't take Jersey out of the girl....

Absolutely!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 PM

4,895 posts, read 5,284,647 times
Default As a life long resident....THE PEOPLE HERE SUCK!

Jersey's so-called people...where do I start?

1: THEY ARE LOUD. I can't go to any restaurant, cafe, or shop without hearing people shouting at each other. They can be right next to you, and still, you hear "HAYYYYY! THAT'S A GREAT BEER!" urhhh...

2: They WANT to be angry. People here seem to live on strife. They will find an excuse to be angry in anything....someone sneezes and they'll throw the said person against the wall because his sneezing is obviously an insult to his mother, who died of lung cancer ten years ago. And those few times that they're not angry...

3. They touch WAYYY to much. I go most days without touching another human being, AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY. I do not have to give an acquaintance a hug every time they leave for the night and I certainly do not want a female putting her hands on me in public or expecting me to kiss her cheek. But, Jersey people can't accept differences like that...which brings me to...

4. The concept that someone who's quiet and introverted an not a *****-hole or a psycho is something that most Jerseyians cannot understand. People do not understand that some people actually like reading a book quietly and may like being alone. Example: I'm just sitting at a bar having my after work drink alone, as I prefer to, and some dumb Jersey female comes up to me and tries to talk to me. I was forced, after she did not understand that when someone gives nothing but one word answers to your first three questions that the said person is probably not interested in talking, to tell her "I would rather be left alone, no offense" at which point she called me a "douchebag" and walked away. Repeat similar instances about a hundred thousand times, and that is my experience with Jersey people.

5. They do not understand that just because someone is not a Guido or a thug, he/she is not necessarily weird. Every time someone asks me about the beach, and I say "I don't like the beach" the said person walks away and looks as if I have just announced that I have sexual fantasies about John McCain. I say "I like the woods and backpacking" and people react as if I have just painted a Nazi swastika on my car.
If you are not one of them and have interest in things other than what the Jersey people are into, you will find yourself instantly alienated.

I could go on, and on...AND ON...but I think I've said enough so far. If you need further info on what Jersey people are like, see here for a perfect example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,355,512 times
The touchy part I can't relate to. What ethnic group do you belong to?
My advice is- if you can't afford to move to a better neighborhood- it's time to relocate. You need to find an environment where people are not limited to meeting in creepy bars. Who reads in a bar? This must be a joke I hope.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,355,512 times
The people on your video are sporting NY accents- not actually NJ but I get your idea. It's hard to grow up in a violent type area and there are many parts of the U.S. where you could probably live on little money and feel very safe. I was lucky to grow up in a decent non violent type environment so I'm not goofing on you or anything but you have to create some options for yourself.

If you are a self hating whatever--you fill in the blank, you will carry that with you whereever you go. If I hated my ethnicity I would face up to that so that I could move forward with my life in a positive fashion. When you don't acknowledge certain things they tend to follow you whereever you go.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Jersey's so-called people...where do I start?

1: THEY ARE LOUD. I can't go to any restaurant, cafe, or shop without hearing people shouting at each other. They can be right next to you, and still, you hear "HAYYYYY! THAT'S A GREAT BEER!" urhhh...

2: They WANT to be angry. People here seem to live on strife. They will find an excuse to be angry in anything....someone sneezes and they'll throw the said person against the wall because his sneezing is obviously an insult to his mother, who died of lung cancer ten years ago. And those few times that they're not angry...

3. They touch WAYYY to much. I go most days without touching another human being, AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY. I do not have to give an acquaintance a hug every time they leave for the night and I certainly do not want a female putting her hands on me in public or expecting me to kiss her cheek. But, Jersey people can't accept differences like that...which brings me to...

4. The concept that someone who's quiet and introverted an not a *****-hole or a psycho is something that most Jerseyians cannot understand. People do not understand that some people actually like reading a book quietly and may like being alone. Example: I'm just sitting at a bar having my after work drink alone, as I prefer to, and some dumb Jersey female comes up to me and tries to talk to me. I was forced, after she did not understand that when someone gives nothing but one word answers to your first three questions that the said person is probably not interested in talking, to tell her "I would rather be left alone, no offense" at which point she called me a "douchebag" and walked away. Repeat similar instances about a hundred thousand times, and that is my experience with Jersey people.

5. They do not understand that just because someone is not a Guido or a thug, he/she is not necessarily weird. Every time someone asks me about the beach, and I say "I don't like the beach" the said person walks away and looks as if I have just announced that I have sexual fantasies about John McCain. I say "I like the woods and backpacking" and people react as if I have just painted a Nazi swastika on my car.
If you are not one of them and have interest in things other than what the Jersey people are into, you will find yourself instantly alienated.

I could go on, and on...AND ON...but I think I've said enough so far. If you need further info on what Jersey people are like, see here for a perfect example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M
VP: Didn't you move already?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM

19,089 posts, read 3,947,731 times
There are a lot of things I miss about Jersey. The one thing the sticks out is how, in a restaurant at lunch, Peopple would sit at a table with empty chairs whether they knew the others sitting there or not. Made for some really good conversations. Don't try it here in Pennsylvania, it's unheard of.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
What ever happened to the concept of the "Jersey Attitude"?
When did it peak - early/mid 90s?
Where did it originate/spill over from - NYC?
What is its epicenter - Lodi/Hackensack?
Is "Jersey Attitude" still alive and kickin' (people's a$$es)?

Let's focus on "attiude". comments anyone?
I've been out of Jersey since 1971 and my Jersey attitude is still as strong as it ever was. Of course I go back "home" every chance I get.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 9,830,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
VP: Didn't you move already?
We can only wish. I, for one, can't wait til he takes his endless complaining somewhere else!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
We can only wish. I, for one, can't wait til he takes his endless complaining somewhere else!
Send him to NorthEastern Pa. All they do is complain, especially about how people from NJ and NY are bringing in all of the crime and we're the cause of the cost of living going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey