Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:57 PM

55 posts, read 139,214 times

Advertisements

A few years ago the NY Times has a Sunday front page story of Cadem. The bottom line was the plan to make Camden 'The Westchester of New Jersey'. There was details reporting of the high crime. The proximity to Philadelphia seems to have been a factor, for the plan. I thought at one time Camden would have been a nice investment location. But, when I did my research it died on arrival. I do not know what the plans are now; It is sad that there are some good locations around, but because of people it is just not worst it.
I am in NY and looking forward to leaving. For the most part NY is just one big playground. Whether it is a public events or otherwise. Ever state has it own character. Some are just too much over kill, one way or another.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:52 AM

183 posts, read 521,439 times
They're all dreadfully ugly. Some have no street signs because the junkies have stolen them. But, character, bargains, great ethnic foods and even the best possible precision hair cuts for less than $20!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:32 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
New Brunswick really, I didn't think it was bad there.
Me niether, I love NB. Hoboken isn't bad either. I just ranked all the urban places in NJ I"VE been to from worst to best. I've lived in 2 cities mentioned on my list as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times
Quote:
I always hear mixed reviews on these areas. Some people say they are horrible, some say they are mixed good and bad, and some say they are not really dangerous at all. Are any of them not as bad as some people make them out to be? Out of them all (JC,Elizabeth,Paterson,Irvington,Linden,and Union City) which is the best?
From these cities, Irvington's the worst, and Linden's the best -- but that's not saying much. Camden's probably worse than all of them (though I haven't been there in some time). Perth Amboy, New Brunswick and Hoboken don't deserve to be on any "all worst" lists. They're three of the few cities in Jersey that are actually getting better.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post
They're all dreadfully ugly. Some have no street signs because the junkies have stolen them. But, character, bargains, great ethnic foods and even the best possible precision hair cuts for less than $20!

LOL, what are they going to do with street signs!?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
I NEVER said they were bad!!! Let me break it down CARE-FUL-LY so that nobody else missunderstands my list.

1.) The cities that I listed are the ONLY URBAN areas in NJ that I've visited, regardless if they are ghetto or not.

2.) I ranked them from worst (the top of the list) to best (the bottom of the list). This means, that out of all the urban areas in NJ that I've visited; Hoboken, New Brunswick, West NY, and Perth Amboy are the best (IMO) and Camden, Irvington, Newark, and East Orange are among the worst I've visited (again, IMO). Everything else falls in-between.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:22 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Going by this list why is Union City talked so bad about?
Because it is. Union City has a very large illegal immigrant population, because of this, a lot of crime goes unreported. (Illegal Immigrants tend to not not call the police.)

I don't think UC is as bad as say, Irvington, but it's not a great place to live.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
New Brunswick really, I didn't think it was bad there.
New Brunswick has it's sections.
I would not put Hoboken on the list though - it's Yuppie central.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I forgot to put West New York on here to. That is another town I hear mixed things about.
West New York is not all that either. But as much as Union City and WNY would not be the places I'd want to live, they are not as bad as other towns o n your list. You are fine there (for the most part) during the day - but not so much at night.

North Bergen - North and West of WNY, has good & bad sections. The sections up by the 80th street park are the nicest.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post
LOL - that's so true! I swear I know about 50 people who drive into Union City and West New York for hair cuts and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey