Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight07607 View Post
As previously stated in MANY other threads, most major/high populated cities will have some good and bad parts.
Speaking for Jersey City (Grew up and lived for 24 years) yeah, there are some bad areas but some good ones also. The Heights and downtown are fairly civil. The newport area is pretty decent as well.
Now going up to the greenville can get a little challenging
Especially if you're traveling up Ocean or M.L.K. blvd

I have heard Greenville was bad, but I have also heard a lot of people say the Heights is bad also, but there are some people like you that say it is civil.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
We'd meet in person.

There are two ways we would do this. Both involve you trying to intuit or deduce the kinds of things you believe you can intuit or deduce from total strangers by merely looking at them. I'd simply ask you about various people and you'd guess about the kinds of things you claim you can intuit or deduce by just looking at them.

Under the first method, the people actually are strangers to both of us. Then we talk to them and try to learn something about them and see just how right you are. Of course, we can't just go by what folks say, but we'd have to try to research them a bit more, too.

Under the second method, the people actually aren't strangers to me. They're people I'm familiar with, but you wouldn't know which people are the ones who are not strangers to me.
You mean walk up to a total stranger and ask them if they're "homeless" or a "drug addict?" LOL!!! Do you really think that's a smart move?? Look, I know I can handle myself when they get offended and start to swing. But what if they pull a gun or knife? I'm not catching a blade or a bullet just to prove some theory. Sorry.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
You mean walk up to a total stranger and ask them if they're "homeless" or a "drug addict?" LOL!!! Do you really think that's a smart move?? Look, I know I can handle myself when they get offended and start to swing. But what if they pull a gun or knife? I'm not catching a blade or a bullet just to prove some theory. Sorry.
I've taken a variety of martial arts over more than 30 years. You'll be safe.

But I didn't mean that you just walk up to someone and ask them if they're a "drug addict", etc. You can actually take some time to get to know someone, and you completely ignored the second means of testing you (using people that I know).

So now that you don't have those excuses, which one do you want to use now?

(And by the way, do you now mean to be suggesting that you're equating drug use and being a "scumbag" and being likely to commit crimes at the first opportunity?)

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I've taken a variety of martial arts over more than 30 years. You'll be safe.

But I didn't mean that you just walk up to someone and ask them if they're a "drug addict", etc. You can actually take some time to get to know someone, and you completely ignored the second means of testing you (using people that I know).

So now that you don't have those excuses, which one do you want to use now?

(And by the way, do you now mean to be suggesting that you're equating drug use and being a "scumbag" and being likely to commit crimes at the first opportunity?)
Yeah, I'm sure you're a real tough guy. You want to meet and prove your theory ... fine, but we do it in Elizabeth. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to meet a complete stranger on their turf surrounded by their friends??? Since you're now questioning my judgement, this has gone far beyond our perceptions of the Grove Street area. You want to see if I can pick a fiend, bum or good guy out of a crowd? Sounds good to me. But we can do that just as easily in Elizabeth as we can in Jersey City. If that sounds good to you, then PM me and we can set up a date and time.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you're a real tough guy.
Well, I'm certainly not afraid of talking to anyone, or walking anywhere, etc.
Quote:
Since you're now questioning my judgement, this has gone far beyond our perceptions of the Grove Street area. You want to see if I can pick a fiend, bum or good guy out of a crowd?
I'm not sure why your reading comprehension is suggesting that I'm just now questioning your judgment or that I'm going to ask you to pick out friends, etc. I've been maintaining that it's bs that someone can discern, merely from looking at someone, whether they're likely to commit crimes, etc. The reason to use people I know for part of the experiment (testing just how accurate you can be about folks merely by looking at them) is that we don't have to spend a lot of time querying what they're like after I've picked supposedly random (which some of them would truly be) folks out and asked you to tell me something about them (and my guess is that you'll end up telling me things that are wrong, given the people that I'd pick). The information would already be known. The reason to use some actual strangers for the other part is to try to avoid one form of possible experimental bias. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but the bottom line is that I think it's bs that one can tell the kind of information you're claiming to be able to discern merely by looking at people.

I'm going to be traveling for most of this month, but we can hopefully set something up for when I get back.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Default Oh Please

As far as the "just by looking" goes- If you know the neighborhood real well and grew up in it- yes I said grew up there- it would be easier to spot trouble makers. That is not the most politically correct thing to say but there is truth to it. For most people though- I would say judging by looking is a mistake for lots of reasons. The fact that you are a karate man is not relevant. Why waste time being preachy karate man?
Most people have heard- don't judge a book by its cover. We get it. We really do.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
As far as the "just by looking" goes- If you know the neighborhood real well and grew up in it- yes I said grew up there- it would be easier to spot trouble makers. That is not the most politically correct thing to say but there is truth to it.
For predicting that someone is likely to commit crimes, it would only work if you know the person already.
Quote:
The fact that you are a karate man is not relevant.
It's relevant to someone using paranoia about talking to people (because they believe they might be physically threatened or attacked) as an excuse to avoid demonstrating whether they're claiming bs or not. I'm not at all worried about that, partially because I can take care of myself in the unlikely event that it would happen.
Quote:
Why waste time being preachy karate man?
I don't think it's a waste of time to call folks on bs. Isn't City-Data ostensibly meant to provide facts to people wondering about various locations? I think we get too many opinions and too much bs masquerading as facts around here, and it's not a bad idea in my opinion to point that out.
Quote:
Most people have heard- don't judge a book by its cover. We get it. We really do.
Although E-TOWN-R.I.P. doesn't seem to. He seems to believe something else.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Quote:
I'm not at all worried about that, partially because I can take care of myself in the unlikely event that it would happen. Although E-TOWN-R.I.P. doesn't seem to. He seems to believe something else.
I have lived in the neighborhood too and I agree that nobody ever asked for money (and that was 12 years ago). But even then it was the best neighborhood in JC. The good part of that area's boundaries have grown and if you just stay around there you will not likely encounter problems. It is more likely in the other parts of town that people like myself can afford.
Sometimes you can be so cerebral about things that you forget some of us actually have instincts. Again I said some of us. Not all of us. And I realize this is not science.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm certainly not afraid of talking to anyone, or walking anywhere, etc. I'm not sure why your reading comprehension is suggesting that I'm just now questioning your judgment or that I'm going to ask you to pick out friends, etc. I've been maintaining that it's bs that someone can discern, merely from looking at someone, whether they're likely to commit crimes, etc. The reason to use people I know for part of the experiment (testing just how accurate you can be about folks merely by looking at them) is that we don't have to spend a lot of time querying what they're like after I've picked supposedly random (which some of them would truly be) folks out and asked you to tell me something about them (and my guess is that you'll end up telling me things that are wrong, given the people that I'd pick). The information would already be known. The reason to use some actual strangers for the other part is to try to avoid one form of possible experimental bias. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but the bottom line is that I think it's bs that one can tell the kind of information you're claiming to be able to discern merely by looking at people.

I'm going to be traveling for most of this month, but we can hopefully set something up for when I get back.
I would have no problem whatsoever meeting you and participating in this experiment. My only objection would be the use of friends - on both sides. That would almost seem like too much like a setup. For instance, either of us could tell one of our upstanding friends to dress differently or act differently to “fool” the other one. I’m not saying you would do that, but I just think the use of friends isn’t really fair. That’s why I’m against doing it on Grove Street. If you were against doing it in Elizabeth, I would understand – though I assure you I wouldn’t use any of my friends.

To make it as fair as possible, maybe we could do this in Newark, or Linden, or Roselle, etc. Somewhere where neither of us could use friends. I think using complete strangers is the only fair way to go. And I want to assure that I don’t “judge a book by its cover.” What I will do is ascertain the motives of someone as it pertains to their current environment. I know you don’t think that’s possible, but maybe I can show you otherwise.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Also, just to clarify, I no longer live in Elizabeth. But I do think that would be a good place to test this theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey