Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,918,936 times

Advertisements

I also heard that Union County is taking over something (forgive me only caught the tail end of it on News12) for Elizabeth because "so many of their murders are doing unsolved" and that they were the ONLY city in NJ where the town refused to compy with the states Gang Task force questionaire, so now that county has to do it for them.

So, if you feel safe there, fine....

Old 09-19-2008, 10:52 PM

43 posts, read 258,549 times
its obvious that a lot of you guys that make comments about Union City have never even been here and are just going off of what you read online...in fact i think that applies to much of the discussion on this forum about any city...if one more person says Union City is full of Cubans i'm gonna puke...
i live here, i'm from these streets, if you don't believe me, maybe the times will convince you

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM

217 posts, read 1,143,970 times
all them crime statistics are not dependable.

because inncidents in crime reported could be A LOT of little things but very few murders.. but some places are murderous but have less incidents then others

Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I KNOW that many people will disagree, but this is how I PERSONALLY would rank NJ's urban cities (the ones I've visited; from worst to best) based on what I've seen.

1.) Camden
2.) Irvington
3.) Newark
4.) East Orange
5.) Trenton
6.) Jersey City
7.) Paterson
8.) Elizabeth
9.) Passaic
10.) Union City
11.) Perth Amboy
12.) West New York
13.) New Brunswick
14.) Hoboken
I can say I agree with the first half of this list.. after that theres a bunch of towns big and small in the same ballpark.. ewing, ac, mt holly, lindenwold etc

Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 27,811 times
I went to college in Union, and it had some beautiful places. Nothing compared to my area in South Jersey though. Elizabeth wasn't too bad. But NEWARK on the other hand, I've never been so afraid in my life. There is too much crime and traffic in Union County. I hope I never have to go back up there. Jersey Gardens Mall though is amazing and worth the 90 minute trip.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 AM

142 posts, read 564,377 times
Linden really isn't bad at all. We lived there for several years. There's alot of nice areas in Linden. However the school systems are on the bottom of the list.

The other towns you listed, in my opinion, I wouldn't move there if a house was free. I know those towns, have been there, and have had family or friends live there. no thank you. I also use to work in Elizabeth. No thank you. I'm more of a girl who likes a little bit more land than the plots you get up north anyway. Anytime you have really big cities like that, there's going to be "problems" and the statistics of things compared to other towns won't look too good.

There's so many other nicer towns you can check out. Why those? Unless you really like the city livin' like that.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 PM

gabrielo - I know UC well and I wouldn't reccommend it at all. I also know that the majority of Cubans moved out a long time ago.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 343,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is there anybody on this forum who live in the "bad" areas of these towns that either think it is over hype or feel completley safe? Also, is there anybody on here that live in these "bad" areas and feel it lives up to the hype and feel unsafe? Or anybody live in so called "good" areas and feel like it is very similar to those bad areas or that it is over hyped as a good area when it is just as safe or as dangerous as the bad areas?
It's all relative and really more about what you are accustomed to.
I lived in Newark for years..when I would tell colleagues at work they would turn up their noses and talk about the crime etc. I could never understand what they thought was so bad.

Someone else mentioned..that if you don't hang around criminals or argue with them you will rarely find trouble. I've never been mugged or felt in any danger.
I will concede that my car was stolen about 5 times. (I got it back each time). I had two motorcycles stolen...I never drove through a green light without looking first after midnight..It was just life as I knew it.

I only realized how f-ed up Newark was when I moved. I swear I couldn't have been gone more than 2 months. I drove back and got off 78 at Clinton Ave.....I looked around....made sure my doors were locked..said "wow..now I know what people mean"

Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 PM

43 posts, read 258,549 times
EEEPNJ, i respect your opinion... if anyone wants the real deal on UC, pm me as websites such as thethreaduc.com or altessanj.com are very misleading

Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 PM

I think the hope is that gentrification that took place in JC and Hoboken will follow to UC by the development of these properties. It is possible, but not highly likely given the current economic climate.

I know UC has always been the "next big thing." I don't know if any of you know this, but back in the 1980's there was an article, I think it was in GQ, but don't quote me on this... but I am thinking it was GQ about how UC was the next chic city of the US. Well, 20 yrs later, it never happend. It must have been in 1980-82 because Musto was still mayor and his wife was quoted in the magazine saying the city stunk and she had no idea why they picked it. LOL Only in Hudson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey