U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

I know there has been alot of talk about Carteret,NJ. The good,bad,and ugly,however,I've been living there over a year and I like it. There are some improvements that need to be done.

But like any America city or town improvements need to be done. Chrome area in Carteret,NJ has been mention in a negative way numerous times on this blog and their may be some truth to that. Moreover,no solutions was mention to address the problem in the chrome area.

I always find that funny! I lived in the South Bronx and Harlem all my life. I've seen my share of crime and bad neighborhoods. I have a solution for the chrome area in Carteret. Education,Techonogy and Job training skills.

Finally,if there anybody who would love to help bring about changes to poverty in that area feel free to email at [EMAIL="planb2010@yahoo.com"]planb2010@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 AM

1,026 posts, read 2,063,792 times
We put a deposit down yesterday on a unit in Gateway in Carteret. I firmly believe that if you do not invest in a community, it is very difficult to bring about any change at all, and my husband and I both feel that this area is one that is up and coming, and and if you give back to a community that is faltering, it will allow for change.

Give us a chance to actually invest the money to close on this house, and move in, and we will likely be there with you fighting the good fight, Kevin.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
YIKES !!!!! Chrome Carteret? I hope things got better over the years. When I was younger I remember even the cops refused to go through there at night. But that is nothing new to Bronx or Harlem cops which were your 2 comparisons. I hear the Bronx is still Fort Apache but some tell me Harlem is a hip place to live. How can that be? There were more bullets flying in any one night in the Bronx then in the entire Vietnam war.

Has Chrome really come back some or are you just dreaming it would? If you say it is coming back then I will make a pass through it next time I go back. It should be interesting.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 PM

I don't know what Chrome used to be like, but I can tell you that the area is going through some major revitalization.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
YIKES !!!!! Chrome Carteret? I hope things got better over the years. When I was younger I remember even the cops refused to go through there at night. But that is nothing new to Bronx or Harlem cops which were your 2 comparisons. I hear the Bronx is still Fort Apache but some tell me Harlem is a hip place to live. How can that be? There were more bullets flying in any one night in the Bronx then in the entire Vietnam war.

Has Chrome really come back some or are you just dreaming it would? If you say it is coming back then I will make a pass through it next time I go back. It should be interesting.
It's not the warzone that it once was, but it hasn't "come back" by any stretch of the imagination. While Carteret has seen some new development recently, it's still got a long way to go- especially for anyone considering raising kids there. It's still the middle-class, blue-collar town it always was, but with a new condo complex and some new industrial space thrown into the mix.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 44,316 times
geez, and all failed to mention that BURGER EXPRESS is moving over to chrome........... yummi is back for the mid-nite feeding frenzy......

coming soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,984 times
Default Robbed!

I just moved to carteret in mid September. We are solidly middleclass and took the chance of renting here figuring it was up and coming and looking to see if we want to buy here. We're looking for an easy commute. My husband is in law enforcement and I have a graduate degree. (I do wonder though, what was meant in the post I read about "family first" people, it sounds like a slur but one I've never heard before so cannot even confirm if this is so) (I am wondering if we are "family first") I have one third grader living with me and two grown and out of the house. The school here is merely satisfactory; nothing great and not up to the school my child attended previously.

We moved to this so called "chrome" area, in the newly done "luxury" apartments. Well, guess what, my home was broken into yesterday.

The police are taking it very seriously but apparently there has been a rash of break-ins, the most they've seen in ten years I'm told. Supposedly, all of us newbies are bringing new life and new things/money to steal to this town. That coupled with the bad economy, I guess that means, it is ok for someone else to take and live off mine.....

I have to say I did like this little town and my new home. It really looked like development was taking over and the place getting ready to take off. But after this, I'm just not sure. I was told by police there was also a break in at Bristol Station, and they are supposedly "gated". Not liking it here so much anymore....

Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundr69 View Post
I just moved to carteret in mid September. We are solidly middleclass and took the chance of renting here figuring it was up and coming and looking to see if we want to buy here. Nevertheless, We're looking for an easy commute. I have one third grader living with me and two grown and out of the house. My husband is in law enforcement and I have a graduate degree. (I do wonder though, what was meant in the post I read about "family first" people, it sounds like a slur but one I've never heard before so cannot even confirm if this is so) (I am wondering if we are "family first") I have one third grader living with me and two grown and out of the house. The school here is merely ok, not up to where my daughter attended previously.

We moved to this so called "chrome" area, in the newly done "luxury" apartments. Well, guess what, my home was broken into yesterday.

The police are taking it very seriously but apparently there has been a rash of break-ins, the most they've seen in ten years I'm told. Supposedly, all of us newbies are bringing new life and new things/money to steal to this town.

I have to say I did like this little town and my new home. It really looked like development was taking over and the place getting ready to take off. But after this, I'm just not sure. I was told by police there was also a break in at Bristol Station, and they are supposedly "gated". Not liking it here so much anymore....
Oh man.. I am so sorry to hear this. We were originally supposed to close on our townhome on Roosevelt yesterday -- and I'm now even more glad that it fell through.

I hope you're able to recover something.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,611 times
I hated chrome when i lived there on bergen st years ago and i finally got out and went to the marines, and let me tell you i will never return!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
chrome carteret is not bad just a bunch of rumors its just a area where poor people live good town to raise a child theres no drugs or gangs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey