Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot View Post
Christina0001, you must be much younger than me. Mill Hill was the scene of
a very brutal torture- murder back in the middle or late seventies. One of the
original occupants of the newly revitalized area was a socialite named Emma Jean Stockton. She had roots all the way back to the Revolutionary War. It
was big news at the time. If I remember correctly, an arrest was made in the
case.

I remember this terrible event.

Emma Stockton suffered a terrible death, being tortured by, among other ghastly things, being burned over and over with a lit cigarette. Friends had been trying to get her to move out of Mill Hill (she certainly had enough money to live in a better place) but she insisted on staying there. If I recall correctly, an arrest was made in rather quick time as people had noticed the suspect hanging around beforehand. Again, it's been a while, but I believe the murderer had taken her car afterward, but that part I'm not so sure of.

I feel sorry for Emma but she should have noticed just had bad things were getting. She was a single woman living alone. What a horrible blot on Trenton's history. Her family's name is still around, such as Stockton NJ.

Trenton had already started to go downhill by the time of her murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Editing to give this URL regarding Emma's murder in 1979:

1979: The Emma Jane Stockton murder

I wonder where she is buried. I did look on that Find A Grave site but her name apparently isn't there.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,661 times
You're right. Trenton was well into its decline by then. I'm a baby boomer and I was born and grew up in that wonderful city. I attended
Trenton schools when they didn't need security guards. We could walk
to Cadwalder Park in the evening after dinner to go sledding with our
friends and nobody would bother us. You had to live in that town back
in the 50's and 60's to appreciate what I'm saying.
The Stockton murder was cracked in short order by the then head of the Trenton Police homicide division, my good friend Det.Lt. Leo McGann. As good as they come. They don't make them like that anymore. RIP

Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
Trenton has enough going on now (gangs, poverty, poor education system, illegal immigrants, violence, drugs)...I personally wouldn't hold the acts of a sociopath from almost 30 years ago against the city. Violent, sociopathic behavior is not city-specific, could happen anywhere. It's scary to think about, and what a terrible thing that happened.

Mill Hill isn't Princeton by any stretch of the imagination, but I still think it's one of the best areas in Trenton.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 19,430 times
Default Old Kerns soda bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky View Post
Anybody know @ histories, web sites, data, etc @ the E L Kerns Beverege (Soda) Company in Trenton, NJ. I think that they had an Elk head as thier logo and horizontally-ridged glass bottles? Any street addresses?

How about The Texas Wiener place downtown? Maybe State Street? Somewhere near the Movie Theater district. Possibly not far from City Beef Comp. Where was that located?
I have a really old Kerns bottle, was just trying to research it when I came across this post. My bottle has E. L. Kerns, Trenton, NJ in cursive writing embossed diagonal on the bottle, and an embossed elk head above. Anybody know the age or any comments, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 19,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
DecayingAngel:

Artic Ice cream is alive and doing well on Artic Prkway in Ewing twp.!

Porkroll...Hmmm...Case's or Taylor's ??

The skateing rink ???

Landollfi's (sp) cannollis

up in north trenton (polish)...St,Hedwicks, St. Joe's ,The Anchor Inn (Kalena Kobassa and home made hoarse radish ,really hot) and the Eagle bakery.

Do you remeber the Planters Peanut dude dancing on the corner and handing out hot roasted peanuts ?? (State and Warren I think)

When I was 12-13 me and friend from Prospect St, & Spruce ,would take bus downtown, go to movie at RKO Trent, Lincoln,Mayfair or Greenwood, get a pork roll sandwhich and soda, walk around, then get bus back home to Ewing.
Can ANYONE concieve letting a kid do that nowadays ?? I don't think so.

Hotdogs at Sears, hoagies at Kresgeies five & dime for 25 cents !!

My mother worked at the state house complex and her and many others would walk up town at lunch hour to shop at Dunhams, Yards, Sears,Arnold Constable,Nevius Vorhess...gee I wonder what drove all those big stores out of Trenton huh
What was the name of the store on Olden Ave. in Ewing, that everybody used to go to get their jeans? We used to go there from "The Square" in the 70s?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,435 times
Actually I can think of two places you might mean.

On Olden Ave was Ewing Bizaar and just around the corner on Prospect st. was Union Pants Factory.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,687,487 times
Thanks for the memories. Loved those Rossi burgers and Michele Lorie cheesecake! After we moved to North Jersey we would make the drive on holidays for the cheesecake and stock up. Loved Italian People's bakery and Landolfi's too. It's a shame what has happened to Trenton.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 AM

63 posts, read 136,639 times
Yes Hamilton is night and day compared to Trenton itself. Im in a really expensive area north of Hamilton. Alot of people i know have moved to Hamilton to have reasonable cost of living without gangs and serious crime. The worst parts of Trenton make Newark look like sunday school but the surrounding areas are really quite nice. Heres my list for NJ/ PA. Hamilton, Lawrenceville, hopewell, Pennington, Titusville, Lambertville. Acroos the river in PA, Morrisville, Yardley, Doylestown, Makefield, New Hope, Newtown. All decent to live but Hamilton/Lawrenceville are most affordable.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 AM

Default EL Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherieshields View Post
I have a really old Kerns bottle, was just trying to research it when I came across this post. My bottle has E. L. Kerns, Trenton, NJ in cursive writing embossed diagonal on the bottle, and an embossed elk head above. Anybody know the age or any comments, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
I can tell you this--E.L. Kerns was located on Smith Avenue in South Trenton, though I don't know the number. It would have been between St. Stanislaus Church and Junior High #4 (which is not on Smith but at the end of that street).

Did a search and can't come up with anything about the company, but it was up and running in the early '50s and probably well before that.

As kids we used to watch through the big window at the soda bottles going around on the conveyor belt that put the caps the top. And that beautiful elk--you have a real treasure there! Maybe not in $$ but in finding a part of historical Trenton.

Never did give us kids any samples, though. The Hoffman Doll Factory relatively nearby used to throw us dolls from the windows on the second floor. They were "irregulars" but we kids didn't care.

E.L. Kerns--thanks for posting this and bringing back some great memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey