Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM

59 posts, read 173,894 times

Advertisements

We are going through the attorney review phase. I'm doing research on inspectors right now. Our home will be in Boonton. Has anyone ever used Sergio angione from Homemasters, or David Polo. Both are Ashi certified. Hoping that either someone has heard of them before or that someone could recommend someone they've used before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Homemasters stink. The people they send out tend to have NO CLUE when it comes to what they are doing. They like to scare the potential homebuyer with ridiculous issues that HAD these morons of inspectors REALLY been qualified, they would already know that there were no issues.

Wouldn't use them at all. I can say this b/c I have used them on both ends...one for buying and have had buyers use them on me. Absolutley amazed at how they have consistently shown to have no clue in the world. My Realtor won't use them anymore either...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM

thanks... wasn't sure about them, but i won't use them... anyone know about david polo or someone else in the parsippany area?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
I used a great guy out of Succasunna area when I bought my house... very thorough and reasonable. If they are still around it's Homestead Inspection Services (973)927-8343. James Benson.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 AM

THanks wileyNJ. I'll give him a try and see if he'll travel the half hour to inspect the home. Anyone else? I'd rather go by recommendations rather than eenie, meenie, miney moe, of the ashi website. thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I really wish I could remember the name and will try and look for you, but the one I use is this guy that is awesome. He is a great home inspector. Works on his own. Is very thorough, not an alarmist and finds anything. He gives you his very detailed report but will verbally give you any problems so you don't have to read through absolutely everything to get to the important stuff. He was very reasonably priced though.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM

thanks jerseyt719... let me know if you find any information out....

Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Reasonably priced is not part of the equation when looking for a home inspector. I did prepurchase home inspections for 20+ years.....over 5000 inspections. What your seeking is EXPERIENCE. ASHI is only a starting point in your search. New Jersey requires state certification, classroom time and a state test. It all looks good on paper but doesn't compare to field experience.....you can't relate book knowledge with field experience. The fact is there are many johnny-come-latelies in the home inspector business since state licensing all presenting themselves as "qualified" home inspectors because they took a course, read some books and passed a written test. Avoid anyone who requires that you sign an inspection waver that requires arbitration if they overlook something important during the inspection.....signing this waver legally prevents you from suing to recover losses. Your first question in interviewing an potential inspector should be how long have you been doing this full time and how many inspections have you done.....not how much is this going to cost.....saving $50-$100 is of little value if the inspector has little experience. Also......get a radon test !!!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Sorry I couldn't find it. I can't remember the name of his business, I tried the phone book.
He was reasonably priced and really good. Nothing wrong with combining the two traits.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 AM

52 posts, read 172,618 times
My dad used the Morris County branch of Pillar to Post a few years ago when he moved to Parsippany. He had good things to say about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey