Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 63,237 times

Advertisements

I hear that is where Bon Jovi's from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM

In response to the sayreville comment - i hear that's where bon jovi's from. ha

Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
If you are looking to rent, just be sure if possible to not be bringing any pets as you will find the rental situation almost impossible.

For what you have described, I don't think I would pick middlesex county though.
It's not almost impossible, you just have to do most of the work yourself. I personally would stay away from the brokers (aka: people who can't find real jobs) who want all the money to find you a place that was originally posted on craig's list. Do hit up craig's list or even the local papers. Get in contact with your future co-workers and ask them if they know of any nice rentals in the area. Some offices have a "hot board" with postings. Remember, there are a lot of older property owners around here that still like to use the classified adds and would rather not own a computer. I always went directly to the owner and explained how my pooches are very well trained and sell the fact that you have a stable job, good credit, and you've always respected your landlord's property. I've lived in mucho cities and have always found a way to talk owners into letting my dogs live in their rental properties.

Or....just do what "The" Boyer says. Pawn your dog off at the pound, let it go on the side of the highway somewhere or sell it to Michael Vick's training camp.

Last edited by the transient; 09-04-2008 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the transient View Post
It's not almost impossible, you just have to do most of the work yourself. I personally would stay away from the brokers (aka: people who can't find real jobs) who want all the money to find you a place that was originally posted on craig's list. Do hit up craig's list or even the local papers. Get in contact with your future co-workers and ask them if they know of any nice rentals in the area. Some offices have a "hot board" with postings. Remember, there are a lot of older property owners around here that still like to use the classified adds and would rather not own a computer. I always went directly to the owner and explained how my pooches are very well trained and sell the fact that you have a stable job, good credit, and you've always respected your landlord's property. I've lived in mucho cities and have always found a way to talk owners into letting my dogs live in their rental properties.

Or....just do what "The" Boyer says. Pawn your dog off at the pound, let it go on the side of the highway somewhere or sell it to Michael Vick's training camp.
Negative Negative.

I did not tell this person to Pawn their dog off, I gave them very sound advice. We are in a very tight rental market because of all the home buyers who have been sitting on the sidelines for the past 2.5 years. In most towns, a good share of the decent rentals are rented, and those which are not soon will be.

Criag's list is a good source, of course many of the homes posted for rent on craig's list are also listed there as well as in the local MLS by REALTOR's and as such will still have the 1 month of the rent fee involved.

If you were a landlord which would you pick if the tenants are otherwise equal, one with pets or one without pets?????

I could make bad comments about you or your profession but let stop that stupid stuff and act like professionals and help each other out where we can.

James Boyer

Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 AM

Thanks all for your input. We don't own any pets right now anyways, so it shouldn't be an issue. We'll check the local papers and see if anyone at work can make some good recs. I think we've surfed thru craig's once already and found a couple of potential places, we just need to actually check the rentals out in person. Do you thinkit is a good idea to get a realtor involved - to help with the hunting for rental property? And do you know if that costs anything?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM

526 posts, read 1,391,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yttrium View Post
Do you thinkit is a good idea to get a realtor involved - to help with the hunting for rental property? And do you know if that costs anything?
It is up to you, unless you intend to actually use the services of said REALTOR and likely rent something though that person I would look on your own for a little while. I say this because there is a cost to using a REALTOR, sometimes that cost can be negotiated so that the landlord pays part or all of it but many times it cannot. That cost is usually 1 months rent.

There are many on here who devalue the worth of the services that a REALTOR can give you, and that is fine, but just remember they are not the ones who are needing to find a place to live.

Best of luck to you.

James Boyer

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
If you don't want the hassle of long-distance apartment hunting and are prepared to pay then I say, go for it, use an agent.

OTOH, a realtor in NJ isn't going to have access to much more than you would via the internet. Using a rental agent is a lot more common in NYC because the network is a lot more developed/sophisticated.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM

55 posts, read 87,385 times
Hi! both of you are moving to exactly where I would love to move to!!! Why don't you like it there? I know the pay is different did you move with the expectations that you could pay your bills easier? I don't know how much I will have to move with but it seems like it's the right move. Why are you guys moving back?
Country Heart

Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm not moving back there, I'm moving there for the first time. My fiance tried living in NC but couldn't find work so moving back to NY was the only option since finding employment was not a problem. Therefore, it's my turn to relocate. I'm sure taxes will be higher and all but we don't own a home so I don't think that will really be a problem for us.

Last edited by yttrium; 09-05-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey