Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM

18 posts, read 63,221 times

Advertisements

Since there are plenty of people who moved to the triangle from the North, can someone from the North give any advice for someone from the South? I plan to move from Wake County to Middlesex County - looking to rent, not buy, seeking out a neighborhood that is diverse, cultured and with hopping nightlife/entertainment for young couples without kids???? Any suggestions on where to live/comments/feedback is welcome and appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Maybe around Rutgers - New Brunswick campus ?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 PM

That's what I thought, thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions on where in New Brunswick or parts to avoid???

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yttrium View Post
That's what I thought, thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions on where in New Brunswick or parts to avoid???
I'm too old to know, haha...I hung out there in '87...

You might have good luck on the New Jersey forum though, and perhaps get an idea by looking at the apt listings on Craigslist. Try the Rutgers newspaper as well - The Daily Targum

The Daily Targum

(I'm still bitter that those of us on the paper at the Newark campus (Rutgers Observer) were forever in their shadow. Hmmph.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Hoboken, Montclair, Morristown..all pretty safe and hoping for young people! Princeton is also a nice area but I've heard young people complaining because there is no night life? You may want to check out New Hope on the PA side as well..not far from Princeton and it's extremely diverse and hoping!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
New Brunswick is OK if you're looking for a more urban version of Chapel Hill. There's enough going on there to keep you busy but it's very "college." The rents can be pricey for a nice place (as is the case in Chapel Hill) but, unlike CH you have a train that gets you to NYC in about 30 minutes.

I don't know if you were asking about Middlesex Co. because you have a job offer there of if you're just looking in Central Jersey but if you're just looking for a town center in the suburbs that has shops, restaurants, a few bars, etc. Those towns are all over NJ. Princeton, Morristown, Metuchen, Woodbridge, Red Bank, South Orange/Maplewood, and Montclair just for starters. They all compare favorably to Chapel Hill or Carboro but they're not all in Middlesex County.

Hoboken can be pricey but is like nothing anywhere in the Carolinas. Think Asheville or Charleston but with all the energy of being a 5 minute subway ride from NYC. It's an awesome place to live if you're in your 20s or 30s and don't have kids.

If you can be more specific about where you'll be working/going to school, how long you want your commute to be, what type of housing you're looking for, what type of neighborhood, whether or not you'll have a car, etc . . . we can be more precise in our recs.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 AM

Thank you all for your recommendations.

I mentioned Middlesex County because I thought it to be a good location since one of us will be working near Princeton, while the other will be traveling to the city for work. We are going to share a car but the ideal living situation is to reside somewhere within walking distance to a train station. The commute to the city should be less than 1 hour by train and the commute to Princeton should be no more than 30 minutes by car. Living somewhere similar to Chapel Hill is fine. Any more recommendations?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,763 times
I think sayreville is the spot to be next to the clubs on rt 35

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,434 times
If you are looking to rent, just be sure if possible to not be bringing any pets as you will find the rental situation almost impossible.

For what you have described, I don't think I would pick middlesex county though.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 PM

83 posts, read 279,106 times
Default Moving back too

Yttrium,

Heh.... no great insights here, just a note that I'm doing the same'ish thing.

Moved from NYC in 2000 to triangle (Durham) and am moving back soonish.... both work and lifestyle are the motivators, and financial issues are keeping me stalled here until I close some critical business.

Best o' luck and feel free to share any thoughts on the 'reverse escape' as I'd be interested in your perspectives on same.

diogenesNY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey