Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's your Cable Daddy?
Comcast 10 31.25%
Cablevision 9 28.13%
Verizon FIOS 2 6.25%
Other 8 25.00%
I don't have cable b/c I spend all my time on CityData 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
most of the "fees" are flat rates, so it doesn't matter if you have a $100 plan or a $15 plan, the fees remain the same. i have verizon, basic of basic plans, and taxes/fees account for 80% of my bill.

to answer NHH, I have directv - LOVE IT. we have about a billion and half stations (ok, about 175), 8 HBO's (which we'll probably drop if Curb Your Enthusiasm doesn't start soon). 3 TV's, 2 TiVO's, 1 HD DVR and our bill is about $90/mo. If I drop HBO it'll go down to $78.

i had comcast prior to directv and hated it. big ripoff. i originally only stayed with it b/c i wanted high speed. after I got directv my work luckily paid the $70/mo for cable modem (since I didn't have cable TV, they really raked me over the coals). Once DSL came to my area I was all over it. I'm not 100% thrilled with DSL, but refuse to pay over double what I pay now just for cable modem. I would consider bagging it all for FIOS if and when it gets my way.
I love Curb. I hope he does another season but I haven't seen anything yet-still waiting. Maybe his real life divorce will leave him needing some cash and he will have to do another season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,901,364 times
Default My fav HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I love Curb. I hope he does another season but I haven't seen anything yet-still waiting. Maybe his real life divorce will leave him needing some cash and he will have to do another season.
Nope he doesn't do it for me.....

My only reasons for HBO are/were The Sopranos, Big Love and Six Feet Under.

Profiling myself I'd say I like: Morbid, Sex, Violence. LOL j.k

Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Nope he doesn't do it for me.....

My only reasons for HBO are/were The Sopranos, Big Love and Six Feet Under.
I find that-people really like Curb or not at all.

I really enjoyed Six Feet Under. The creator of Six Feet has a new series about vampires on HBO this Sunday. Not sure what it is about. HBO is free this weekend on DirectTv so I am sure we will be checking the first episode out.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM

173 posts, read 818,104 times
I dropped HBO once John Adams and The Wire ended. I use Netflix for my movie fix. My wife will want to re-up once Big Love starts again. Anyone watching Generation Kill?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM

259 posts, read 923,757 times
I use Comcast for Cable and Internet. Honestly, I wanted Cablevision but they weren't available in my area. Comcast is a huge ripoff. Their on demand feature in cable never works. Their internet is slower than an old man in a marathon. Their customer service is like talking to the living dead. Needless to say, I was a stone throw from switching to Fios which IS available in my area. The only thing that kept me from switching was a friend of mine who used Fios. He hated it. Said the price was all over the place, there was no consistency in his bill. He also said that he didn't get alot of HD channels. I think he still uses Verizon for internet though.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I find that-people really like Curb or not at all.

I really enjoyed Six Feet Under. The creator of Six Feet has a new series about vampires on HBO this Sunday. Not sure what it is about. HBO is free this weekend on DirectTv so I am sure we will be checking the first episode out.
That's my experience too. No middle ground!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,054 times
I have everything through one company.... sort of. Embarq for phone & DSL (cheaper this way), and I pay my Dish bill through Embarq (also cheaper). I get the best of all worlds

Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
I signed up for comcast triple play for 2 years. It was 99 a month for cable, internet and phone. Now with hign def tvs and HBO and other options it's about 140 a month. I'm happy, one bill and they come out pretty quick if u have a problem.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,364,929 times
Im hearing very bad things about Fios...Too much money and not fast enough..Verizon really dropped the ball on this one..taking so freaking long to come out. Comcrap is no better. Probably best was Optimum online..

Never understood Direct TV as their internet service (if they even provide one) does not come with it. Also, no phone as well.

Im sticking with cable...$99 package has it all. all the movies - thats what the net is for.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Never understood Direct TV as their internet service (if they even provide one) does not come with it. Also, no phone as well.
Because there is no direct uplink. Its satellite.

DSL providers (such as Verizon, where FIOS is not available) package Dish and DirectTV plans, which is how you get phone, internet, and TV.

[quote=todd72173;5111856Im sticking with cable...$99 package has it all. all the movies - thats what the net is for.[/QUOTE]

Until the trial period is over, and it goes to the full retail price....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey