Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM

154 posts, read 666,407 times

Advertisements

I am moving to an apartment building and was told by building management that I need to have the movers/furniture companies/painter/curtain installer to provide “certificate of insurance”. I think this is the standard nowadays for apartment buildings. Anyone know how much additional this will cost me? Also do you guys think the movers/furniture companies/painter/curtain installer know they are required to provide insurance if I didn’t specifically tell them about this? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
Nothing.

The certificate of insurance is something they need to hold anyways, and any of them who have worked with apartment buildings already are familiar with this need. Additionally, if you're unsure about doing things yourself, you should absolutely have a contractor (of any type) that is certified and insured - its something to ask. If they can't show it, they aren't real contractors - skip them.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:42 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
I am moving to an apartment building and was told by building management that I need to have the movers/furniture companies/painter/curtain installer to provide “certificate of insurance”. I think this is the standard nowadays for apartment buildings. Anyone know how much additional this will cost me? Also do you guys think the movers/furniture companies/painter/curtain installer know they are required to provide insurance if I didn’t specifically tell them about this? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Should not cost you anything... my ins. co. does not charge for issueing certs. Not a bad request though...always good to make sure contractors are insured and always handy to have their ins. info. around in case they damage anything.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 12,539 times
My movers damaged and broke many items in the apt. building I moved too (Experienced Vanlines - DO NOT USE THEM!!!) I was unaware that I should ask for a cert or that even one was suppose to be provided bc it never was. I was never told by my landlord, it is not stated in the lease and the moving company never provided with all my docs. I asked for it now (about 3 weeks after my move) and the moving co refuses to produce the cert...what are my options?! please help, I have been dealing with this horrific moving company for over 4 weeks now and I have claims mounting to over $5000...and I can not afford to have my landlord charge me for damages caused by the movers which amount to over $700.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
Unfortunately you have to look at you contract that you signed. A lot of times the contracts limit the responsibility of the movers and when you sign it you are agreeing to hold them harmless for any damage.

If this is the case, it does not matter what type of insurance they have since it will not cover your claim as you would have signed your right (and probably the apartment buildings right) to collect from them away. I believe in this case you would be responsible for the damage that the movers caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah83 View Post
My movers damaged and broke many items in the apt. building I moved too (Experienced Vanlines - DO NOT USE THEM!!!) I was unaware that I should ask for a cert or that even one was suppose to be provided bc it never was. I was never told by my landlord, it is not stated in the lease and the moving company never provided with all my docs. I asked for it now (about 3 weeks after my move) and the moving co refuses to produce the cert...what are my options?! please help, I have been dealing with this horrific moving company for over 4 weeks now and I have claims mounting to over $5000...and I can not afford to have my landlord charge me for damages caused by the movers which amount to over $700.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
This is common, and as stated, will involve no cost to you. The apartment owners and manager are just verifying that these contractors are insured, at what amounts, and with which carriers. The certificate does nothing more than confirm this coverage. These can be quickly processed, generally by e-mail attachment. Any contractor that refuses or gives you a runaround is raising a huge red flag about their integrity. They are NOT charged for the issuance of these documents. Or they just don't carry insurance in the first place, which is not out of the question.

Hopefully the property manager gave you a written document with insurance specifications. Pass those to your contractors. The document may spell out different types of coverage that they will need to see. Typically the original certificate is mailed, faxed, or today e-mailed directly to the certificate holder. However, you should ask for a copy as well.

In some cases, the owner and/or manager may require being added as an Additional Insured on the contractor's General Liability policy. This is more problematic because the contractor is not contracting with them directly, just entering their premises. Either way, pass along the written request to the contractor for them to send to their agent or company.

Rhys

Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,550 times
Just realized this was a 2008 thread. Oh well, perhaps it will help someone else.

Rhys

Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,168,248 times
I know this is old but from my experience. I you purchase large appliances the store you purchase from will and should have a COI for you and/or you Maintenance Assoc (HOA). If you hire a contractor be sure they too are insured. This is especially demanded when they have to go through a common area for delivery and if in a multi-dwelling type of Condominium/apartment.
Another thing is how surprised I am to find so many landlords do not have the proper liability insurance for when tenants move in and out. This covers the landlord for again an accident from moving and the landlord should know to attempt to receive the COI from the movers, assuming the tenants are not skipping out. Since most tenants will not do this then landlords do need to talk to their homeowner agent.

So many people I talk to have no clue they have every right to see and obtain a copy of their COI for business. People often confuse the difference between Homeowner Liability Policy and the COI work/business Policy. When any company or individual contractor refuses to show their standard COI don't hire them!! unless you are willing to risk a boat load of problem if they make a human error or accident. This protects both the homeowner and contractor, business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey