Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM

646 posts, read 2,663,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Yes, for public schools. Moorestown friends is a private school with higher SAT scores.

Higher then,Newark Academy,Pingry,Delbarton,Oak Knoll,Kent Place,Raney???Do you have a link to this info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think you need to take some of these rankings with a large grain of salt. I think the tiers are OK but the absolute numbers are not. And there's a certain reputational moxy that isn't accounted for. No offense to anyone but a kid taking AP classes in Moorestown is going to have an easier time getting admitted to MIT than the kid from Cranford.

Nope,you need to go work in a college admissions office.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, for public schools. Moorestown friends is a private school with higher SAT scores.

Nope,are you talking about Moorestown Beard school?

Nope ,sorry I found it.Yes it's a good school but there are many ,nothing about it being any better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorestown_Friends_School

Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,624,483 times
Quote:
You'd be incorrect, as mentioned MHS sends a lot of kids to the IVY League.

IVY League Sports.com Field Hockey report. Check player of the week and rookie of the week.

Ivy League Sports (http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=1889 - broken link)
What makes you think that MHS sends lots of kids to "IVY League" because they're from MHS, as opposed to the possibility that those kids from MHS scored very well on their SATs and had good extracurricular activities.

You seem to think that if two students have equal grades, equal SAT scores, and identical resumes, that the one from MHS has a better chance at getting into Harvard than the one from Cranford, presumably because Harvard is so impressed with MHS.

I think that's laughable.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,502,707 times
I'm not sure what you guys are getting so steamed about. The facts are MHS is a feeder school for the Ivy League and others elite schools like MIT. It's just a fact of life. It's an ultra competitive school in a wealthy area. It is what it is. NJ sends lots of kids to the Ivy League.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Higher then,Newark Academy,Pingry,Delbarton,Oak Knoll,Kent Place,Raney???Do you have a link to this info?
There is a small handful of private schools in NJ with higher SATs than MFS.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,624,483 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you guys are getting so steamed about. The facts are MHS is a feeder school for the Ivy League and others elite schools like MIT. It's just a fact of life. It's an ultra competitive school in a wealthy area. It is what it is. NJ sends lots of kids to the Ivy League.
Again, you miss the point.

A school very well may be a "feeder school" for ivy league universities, but that does not mean that it's because of the school. Parents with lots of money spend lots of money on getting their kids' SATs scores up, getting their kids into lots of extracurricular activities, and generally stay on them about their grades. That's no surprise.

But my example stands: a kid from Cranford (or any other school) with equal grades, equal SAT scores, equal family connections, and equal extracurricular involvement stands an equal chance of getting into Harvard.

The name of your public high school counts for squat at any university.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Nope,are you talking about Moorestown Beard school?

Nope ,sorry I found it.Yes it's a good school but there are many ,nothing about it being any better.

Moorestown Friends School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You mean other than the fact in 1993 one its alumni won the Nobel Prize in Physics?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Again, you miss the point.

A school very well may be a "feeder school" for ivy league universities, but that does not mean that it's because of the school. Parents with lots of money spend lots of money on getting their kids' SATs scores up, getting their kids into lots of extracurricular activities, and generally stay on them about their grades. That's no surprise.

But my example stands: a kid from Cranford (or any other school) with equal grades, equal SAT scores, equal family connections, and equal extracurricular involvement stands an equal chance of getting into Harvard.

The name of your public high school counts for squat at any university.
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Admissions counselors know what HS have top students that are Ivy League material. It is more than SATs, it is reputation and quality of honors programs, etc. Sure any top student might be admitted to the Ivy League but it is MORE LIKELY coming from MHS and several others like Princeton HS. There is an established pipeline, at your average NJ school there is not.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Admissions counselor's know what HS have top students that are Ivy League material. It is more than SATs, it is reputation and quality of honors programs, etc. Sure any top student might be admitted to the Ivy League but it is MORE LIKELY coming from MHS. There is an established pipeline, other schools there is not.
LOL,yeah ......ok ,never let a fact get in the way of a good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey