Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 105,517 times

Advertisements

I think I am slowly getting how serious a problem safety around SH is ...thanks guys for your inputs. Hope to check Bayonne tomorrow and get a better feel.

In terms of investment though which would seem better since there is a diferential of 6K a year on tax.

I did read in another forum about cop problems in Bayonne ... hard to believe but if it is true then thats a big issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Those places Tommy mentioned made me cringe and remind me of my old condo in JC. These are really just converted apartments and renamed to 'condo' for the money appeal. 800SQ is extremely small. Too small for anyone unless you are a single person. I cant stand the layouts - 1 giant room that is supposed to be your kitchen, living room, and den. The bathrooms are like port-a-john size.

With that being said, maybe you can get more space for your $$ if you rent. I would not move to Society Hill. Bayonne is tough commute to downtown. You might want to try another neighborhood further from city - Rutherford, Cranford..

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Hmm, nobody seems to want to move to Society Hill so who are all those people I see everyday on the Society Hill busses?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Also, I have never been to Bayone or Society Hill, but I am wondering.

If you live in Society Hill, it looks like a pretty big complex/community. Why would Greenville be an issue? I mean, you don't have to go there if you don't want to. Why would someone living in Society Hill be "confined" to just there? When they can easily get into their car or on the bus and go wherever they like? Just because it borders on a bad area does not make it unsafe.

There are lots of nice places that border not so nice places.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM

23 posts, read 105,517 times
Good question Lynne

Since I have surveyed society hill a lot I do know a lot of happy people living there (old and new phase) who say the safety is good inside ..otuside it is definitely iffy. I am trying to get in touch with some people at boatworks so that I have similar feedback from them and be able to compare. Will post it soon hopefully for others.

One thing though worth noting is that despite all the bad vibe about SH, the prices of those properties is pretty stable with only 10-15% erosion ..they still are pretty expensive. On the other hand boadworks costs have crashed, I know one that has come from 511K to 399K. These has to be reasoning behind this too.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amru View Post
Good question Lynne

Since I have surveyed society hill a lot I do know a lot of happy people living there (old and new phase) who say the safety is good inside ..otuside it is definitely iffy. I am trying to get in touch with some people at boatworks so that I have similar feedback from them and be able to compare. Will post it soon hopefully for others.

One thing though worth noting is that despite all the bad vibe about SH, the prices of those properties is pretty stable with only 10-15% erosion ..they still are pretty expensive. On the other hand boadworks costs have crashed, I know one that has come from 511K to 399K. These has to be reasoning behind this too.
I really can offer only my opinion, and it comes from living in Bayonne (and the JC area) for 25 years. All things being equal, I'd personally pick Boatworks - it's definitely more "neighborhoody" and the surrounding area is infinitely safer. I COMPLETELY understand your reluctance due to the taxes though. As far as prices crashing, I looked at the records - those who purchased in 04 paid anywhere from 320 - 370 (this is on Boatworks Dr.). Those who purchased around 06 paid mid-400's to mid-500's - that's right around when things started going south. If units are going for around $400K now, that doesn't seem *too bad*. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't predict future value, but given that both places have good public transport to NYC, I think they'll recover faster than more outlying areas.

If you decide on Society Hill, what will you do about schools for your son? Catholic?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Lynne, I think it is very safe INSIDE Society Hill. But are there food stores, etc all in there? I don't think there are. I would personally feel confined. Even if you DRIVE out to other areas, you are driving through Greenville which is NOT pretty.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Lynne, I think it is very safe INSIDE Society Hill. But are there food stores, etc all in there? I don't think there are. I would personally feel confined. Even if you DRIVE out to other areas, you are driving through Greenville which is NOT pretty.
I think the closest grocery store is Pathmark on 440 - I used to shop there. An episode of COPS was filmed there, 'nuff said. LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Tahiti, I live in Jersey City FYI

This is what I'm wondering re: Greenville. Must you drive through it to get anywhere? Does the bus that goes from JSQ drive through Greenville?

I honestly don't know. All I;m saying is that if someone is aware they are moving to a gated community that is nearby a bad part of town, they probably realize they are going to have to drive to get groceries, etc. Some people don't have issue with this (like everyone in the suburbs). I'm just wondering if there are other ways to drive except through Greenville cuz I wouldn't want to HAVE to drive through there every single day.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Society Hill is on the west side of Rt.440 and is a fairly safe community by JC standards. BORDERING SH to the east is the Country Village section which is also a fairly safe section. The side of greenville that is close by is called west bergen side which is so so area. The part of Greenville that is the pits with major, major crime is east of Kennedy Blvd. That being said SH has 3 phases, one still ongoing that is the safest and most affluent section. There are 2 guard gates coming into and out of the facility. SH has a very active HOA which keeps the area up and up. Many professional people along with judges, senators, police officers and fireman live there. So the police make a habit of dropping in to make sure their families are safe. It is racially diverse area with hard working people. As far as schools go, no good. As far as shopping goes there is a Pathmark right next to the complex. Sometimes a rough crowd in there on weekends as I have worked security in Pathmark. If you lived in Newport, society hill might be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey