U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

23 posts, read 70,434 times

Advertisements

We have been searching for a place but have many constraints like budget (lower 400s max), commute (to Exchange place) should be reasonable since both me and my wife work there and we need a good size townhouse. Good schooling is prefered but not a must since our dear son is a few months old at the moment.

I know you guys might think its crazy to choose between JC and Bayonne but it is very appropriately placed as far as commute goes. Downtown JC is beyond our budget for a descent sized house. We have been searching for sometime and have taken a liking to Boatworks, Bayonne and Droyers Point in Jersey City.

Can people give their opinion as to which one is going to be a better choice on the parameters below:
1. taxes
2. commute
3. amenities within the complex
4. Safety in and around the neighbourhood where these complexes are located
5. Which of these is a better investment few years (say 5-6 years) down the line.

Anything peculiar that people know (negative or positive) about these two places will also help. Two different towns despite being close geographically makes it tough to choose.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM

11,682 posts, read 21,240,239 times
I can't compare and contrast the 2 since I'm not intimately familiar with either, but I can speak to the general area where Boatworks is located. It's a very safe area, in a very good part of Bayonne, but the problem getting to Exchange Place is that it's not as easy as walking out the door and catching the light rail or bus. Boatworks is downtown, near the Bayonne Bridge on the far west side of town (it's on Newark Bay). The Exchange Place bus can be caught on Ave C, which is a few blocks away. The light rail is even further and you'll need to drive there - it's clear across town on the far east side, and up about 10 (?) blocks. Regardless, count on about 1 hr to get to Exchange Place I'm thinking.

I just did a little searching on taxes - VERY steep - $12K'ish

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks Tahiti. Feedback about that part of Bayonne was very helpful. I agree on the tax front with Boatworks Tax around 11-12K while the same at Society Hill is 5-6K. Both are close to 440 with Society hill being just off 440. From our study, society hill has a larger community and hence a better feel with ample amenities .not much sure about boatworks. We will get better idea by this weekend with another visit.

I think schooling is poor in both places but that is not a priority.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amru View Post
Thanks Tahiti. Feedback about that part of Bayonne was very helpful. I agree on the tax front with Boatworks Tax around 11-12K while the same at Society Hill is 5-6K. Both are close to 440 with Society hill being just off 440. From our study, society hill has a larger community and hence a better feel with ample amenities .not much sure about boatworks. We will get better idea by this weekend with another visit.

I think schooling is poor in both places but that is not a priority.
schools are MUCH better in bayonne. Ok, so you're talking about the Society Hill off 440 - I know where that is (I didn't know what Droyers was). Personally, between the 2, I'd pick Boatworks in a heartbeat (EVEN with the taxes). I don't think SH is all that safe (JerseyMan can chime in on that), plus it's about 20 yrs old and probably is showing some age where Boatworks is just a few years old and very safe. SH seems kind of far removed from public transport in JC, there could be a jitney or something to the Blvd, I don't know.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM

730 posts, read 1,848,009 times
I know there is a bus I always see at Journal Square that says Society Hill so there must be some type of transportation over there.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 AM

Some information that I have collected.
Commute:
Society Hill has a dedicated bus just for those people which takes them to JSQ for $100/month. There is also NJ Transit but that is just outside Society Hill which can be a long walk depending upon where you live.
Boatworks as of now I think has no public transport options at a quick walk, right ? I know the light rail station will extend to 3-4 blocks but that is next year.
Construction:
Droyers point = Society Hill phase 3 is constructed in 2004-2005 with some houses as new as 2006 and I am looking at those and not the older ones. Tax is half of whats at boatworks

Now you see that these two are pretty close in comparison making it difficult to choose

Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,947,406 times
How many bedrooms are you looking for?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 AM

We are looking for a 2 BR house and the one's we have seen are 2 BR + family Room. I think both places have similar layout town houses with maybe difference in size a little bit

Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amru View Post
Some information that I have collected.
Commute:
Society Hill has a dedicated bus just for those people which takes them to JSQ for $100/month. There is also NJ Transit but that is just outside Society Hill which can be a long walk depending upon where you live.
Boatworks as of now I think has no public transport options at a quick walk, right ? I know the light rail station will extend to 3-4 blocks but that is next year.
Construction:
Droyers point = Society Hill phase 3 is constructed in 2004-2005 with some houses as new as 2006 and I am looking at those and not the older ones. Tax is half of whats at boatworks

Now you see that these two are pretty close in comparison making it difficult to choose
ah, didn't realize there was a 'newer' phase of Society Hill, my knowledge is a little outdated.

the walk to the Avenue C bus which takes you to Exchange Place is about 5 blocks away - take look at google maps. It's about a 10 minute safe walk. the Blvd bus is closer, but that doesn't go to Exchange Place, but rather, JSQ.

I'm a Bayonne native (I went to HS right in front of Boatworks, which wasn't there then, and I lived right on North Rd near the entrance) so I guess I'm biased towards it. So naturally, I would still choose Bayonne over JC - tradeoffs are the taxes and the commute is longer, but the area is light years better, IMHO. I'd be interested to hear Tommy and JerseyMan's take on the crime situation there, I think I recall hearing it's not totally safe.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,947,406 times
Society Hill is kind of an isolated community because Route 440 separates it, but it is RIGHT near Greenville, which is basically the most dangerous area of JC. I would not feel comfortable living that close to Greenville.

You said 2 bedrooms. And you work in Exchange Place. You can DEFINITELY find a pretty nice 2 bedroom in Downtown JC for the low 400's. Just not in a development.

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - JC, Downtown, NJ, 07302 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=07302&typ=2&sid=4c234f5f22a8 43fb98d1c00b0204e193&pg=6&lid=1102143296&lsn=53&sr cnt=335#Detail - broken link)

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - JC, Downtown, NJ, 07302 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=07302&typ=2&sid=4c234f5f22a8 43fb98d1c00b0204e193&pg=6&lid=1101571109&lsn=54&sr cnt=335#Detail - broken link)

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - JC, Downtown, NJ, 07302 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=07302&typ=2&sid=4c234f5f22a8 43fb98d1c00b0204e193&pg=7&lid=1099136757&lsn=68&sr cnt=335#Detail - broken link)

That last link, you would be able to WALK to Exchange Place (approx 10 minute walk) Very very safe walk. The other 2 listings, you would have to jump on the Path for ONE stop (7-10 minute commute, door to door)

At these places, not only will you be in a much better neighborhood and have a FAST commute, but you will feel like more of a part of a community. Those sterile developments suck (my opinion of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey