U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Central NJ
1,026 posts, read 1,875,387 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I am chill out! And I thought you were getting nasty with me with that "are you even from this area" comment.
We both need cosmos! Yum!

I honestly wasn't sure if you were from the area, given that your showing as being from Toronto. So I apologize, and the next round of cosmos is on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,629,711 times
Reputation: 613
It is NOT doable. You wold regret it daily. I was going to LI twice a week, non rush when my Mom was dying of Cancer. I was traveling from Manalapan to Lawrence, LI, which is near the queens border by JFK. The belt Pky going thru Brooklyn is the worst. and Roslyn is even futher than I had to travel.
I am sure you could find afordable housing on LI if you concentrate on the Southshore rather than the North Shore. There are a few main roads that go from North to South so if should not take all that long.There are also towns inbetween that may fit your budget. Think about how much the bridges will cost you to get back and forth. Between bridges and Gas its crazy to even Consider doing this. Having lived in LI most of my life and in NJ 14 years, I feel I am qualified to answer this question.

Diane G

Last edited by Diane Giam; 09-06-2008 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 3,954,814 times
Reputation: 573
Yeah, i didn't want to say it either but between time on the road, wear and tear on a car, gas and tolls it's just sheer insanity. There's no way I would do it that more than once a week.

I would definitely rent for a time until they figure things out.

If they live in NJ try to find a place that's near a train station within 30 minutes of Penn Station. That would keep it a 1:30 on the train. It's an easy transfer to LIRR and maybe he can drive in on Monday morning and leave his car at the station during the week and drive it home on Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Status: "Freezing in Coastal New Hampshire" (set 21 days ago)
 
9,045 posts, read 10,903,450 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
I honestly wasn't sure if you were from the area, given that your showing as being from Toronto. So I apologize, and the next round of cosmos is on me.
OMG This is why I love Jersey people! We tell each other the way we see things than we laugh afterwards. I actually realized I was Jersey when I was lived in Australia and I was missing Taylor Ham, bagels, and people who did not laugh at me when I asked for KAWFEE.

Have you tried gin and cranberry juice? I;m looking at what I have in the kitchen and its alls I's gots in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Status: "Freezing in Coastal New Hampshire" (set 21 days ago)
 
9,045 posts, read 10,903,450 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It is NOT doable. You wold regret it daily. I was going to LI twice a week, non rush when my Mom was dying of Cancer. I was traveling from Manalapan to Lawrence, LI, which is near the queens border by JFK. The belt Pky going thru Brooklyn is the worst. and Roslyn is even futher than I had to travel.
I am sure you could find afordable housing on LI if you concentrate on the Southshore rather than the North Shore. There are a few main roads that go from North to South so if should not take all that long.There are also towns inbetween that may fit your budget. Think about how much the bridges will cost you to get back and forth. Between bridges and Gas its crazy to even Consider doing this. Having lived in LI most of my life and in NJ 14 years, I feel I am qualified to answer this question.

Diane G
Hey sorry to hear about your Mom. I went through that with my mom 3 years ago and it still hurts and I still feel she is around at times! My heart sincerely goes out to you..

I think they are best to just rent a place in Queens or LI and figure out if they can afford to live there and if the job is what they want! Ease them into NY easily. And I FORGOT how expensive the tolls are on those bridges.. I still have Ez-pass and its easy to forget that its costing you when you have one of those tags and they automatically deduct it from my Amex..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,629,711 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Hey sorry to hear about your Mom. I went through that with my mom 3 years ago and it still hurts and I still feel she is around at times! My heart sincerely goes out to you..

I think they are best to just rent a place in Queens or LI and figure out if they can afford to live there and if the job is what they want! Ease them into NY easily. And I FORGOT how expensive the tolls are on those bridges.. I still have Ez-pass and its easy to forget that its costing you when you have one of those tags and they automatically deduct it from my Amex..
That's ok, its been quite a few years now since I lost my mom. Tolls are at $10 now according to my son who is still in NJ, until he finds a Job here in Nashville. He is flying in for interviews on Thursday. Hopefully he will be living here soon .
I think they can find some rentals not so far from their employment.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top