Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,340 times

Advertisements

I just witnessed a Newark city police officer beating a compliant and unarmed man. Can anyone tell me to whom I can report this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
I would guess you could call City Hall and ask for Internal Affairs.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:07 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Contact the ACLU.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
You need to contact Internal Affairs. Call the Essex County IA office and tell them. They may know where to send you. You can call directly to Newark PD, but you may get the run around. The county may be able to give you a direct line.

Make sure you really know what you're talking about though. Not that you just passed an incident briefly. Sometimes, you don't know the underlying causes of an arrest or restraint.

That being said, those are the people to call.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
^ and if that doesn't work, there's always News 12 New Jersey!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Now you will be the next one beaten unless you do it anonymously.

Not a threat from me. Im not a cop.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,055 times
Hmmm wont be easy do you have SOLID proof at all?

A wrongful arrest situation happened to me a while back and the Newark Internal Affairs unit was a joke they called me in to interview me as to what happened and somehow along the way the case got closed I never got notified and several calls to them to find out what they concluded about the case has been useless because nobody returns calls plus them folks handling them cases get promoted left and right --- if you have solid proof I'd say get a police abuse/civil rights lawyer involved like I did if you really want these officers brought to book else honestly you will be wasting your time for nothing -- anyways just my $0.02

=======

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorelies View Post
I just witnessed a Newark city police officer beating a compliant and unarmed man. Can anyone tell me to whom I can report this?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
Good luck getting News 12 New Jersey on your side because of a police abuse story - they are too busy for nothing such cases don't tickle their fancy no more..!!!

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
^ and if that doesn't work, there's always News 12 New Jersey!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Hahaha you got a great point right there .. !!!!

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Now you will be the next one beaten unless you do it anonymously.

Not a threat from me. Im not a cop.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,239 times
I was involved in an incident in Keansburg. The conduct of the police was ganglike. An officer grabbed my 15 year old daughter around her throught. I responded by telling him to take his .... hands off of her. He then put me in a head lock and two more officer tackled me. I am a woman and three officers attacked me. I was then placed under arrest and falsley charged with assault, rioting, resisting arrest, to name a few. When I protested my charges the arrestiing officer told me " I will do and say what ever I want because I can". That is scary to have an officer with a gun who feels he can do and say what ever he wants. I had heard stories of the misconduct of Keansburg police, however I did not believe it until this happend. I just could not believe the utterly unprofessional conduct they portrayed. I have retained an attorney and intend to fight until all charges are dropped. It is unfortunate that police forces have officers who feel just because they have a badge they can do what ever they want. Unfortunately, inocent people become victims of their power trip. I would like to just tell you, "be careful I have been told by longtime Keansburg residence that if I continue to fight these charges I will be harrassed by police. I have know intention to let this go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: