Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl217 View Post
In the town I lived in (Hopatcong), they were discussing red light cameras 4 years ago before I moved. I know they did put cameras up on top of the lights at intersections in town, and said they would also help bust people not wearing seat belts, as well as catch people on cell phones when they made the hands-free-only thing.

There was a town in another state that bought them, and then decided to get rid of them because they no longer were getting any money from tickets being written for running red lights. They were "TOO effective".
TOO effective????
Does it make sense to everyone that if the vast majority is breaking the law then maybe just maybe.....the law is too strict? If so few are obeying a law then it is indeed too strict and quite obviously the law is written for the sole purpose of extorting more money from the hard working peons....oops I mean citizens.

In the 30 something years I lived in NJ I dont ever remember red light runners as a problem. I can't even remember it ever being discussed. Like most of you already said, I too believe it is just another revenue raiser for the fat cat P { MARGIN: 0px } UL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px } OL { MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px } bureaucrats. And yes like a few of you also said, the contract was given to some ones brother (just like the million dollar a mile sound walls).

I lived in a few places since. One being Canada where red light cameras are the norm. No one liked them but like the USA, the govt just jambs it down the peons....oops - citizens throats whether they like it or not. In Las Vegas where I most recently escaped, the NHTSA lists Las Vegas as having the highest amount of red light runner related accidents. The local govt has installed cameras at every single light in the city however to this day by law they can not be used for traffic citation purposes.

Some one said these cameras are being used to catch seat belt offenders? Whats next? NJ is starting to sound like California where the govt regulates your thermostat from Sacramento Big Brother to control thermostats in homes? and you cant opperate it from your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
JerseyGirl217.......they no longer were getting any money from tickets being written for running red lights. They were "TOO effective".:
That's what it's really all about. Cash-ola.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
They are installing 2 down by me in the Brick area on Rt. 70. One at the intersection of Chambers Bridge Ave. and the other at Cedar Bridge Ave. One intersection had 80 accidents and the other 69. I hope this bull$hit moneymaker helps the accident ratio to go down besides generating mooohla for the local town and the state. They split it 50, 50.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 AM

315 posts, read 1,091,695 times
so if a family member is driving my car, and runs a light, i'm responsible? i get the ticket and points? that's ridiculous!!! that same family member gets pulled over for speeding while driving my car and i don't get the points. where's the difference? geez. can the state of nj find anymore ways to tax, rape and bleed us dry?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,370 times
Default More towns are willing to install red light cameras

State to monitor 14 more dangerous intersections - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey