Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Do any of you live there? Relax and don't get so friggin offended. I hung out there too, and dated a few girls from there and had a few friends from there. Nobody said you can't hang out there. Hell, it's a great place to hang out -- the girls are hot as hell. The point being made here is about LIVING THERE. I'm half-Hispanic and I (along with others) simply stated that if you are not Brazilian or Portuguese and you LIVE in the Ironbound, you'll feel like an outsider. I don't think this is news or that I'm breaking any headlines here. It is the best section of Newark (though that's not saying much) and I happen to like it, but that doesn't mean it's a diverse section -- IT'S NOT. You can probably count the number of solely White or Black residents there on two hands. Now, if you're White or Black and LIVE in the Ironbound and would like to disagree with me, then have it. This would be the first time I've heard otherwise.
I'm white, and lived in Ironbound for almost 5 years. I'm not Portuguese or Brazilian. And I didn't feel like an outsider.

First off, Portuguese people are European. 'nuff said.

And the younger generation of Brazilians and other South Americans moving into the Ironbound are no different than you'd find in many urban areas, if anything they are more attached to their native culture and less attached to typical ghetto culture of America, which I find more alienating than simply hearing people speaking Portuguese or Spanish.

Are there places I would fit in better than the Ironbound? Sure. But the Ironbound is probably the only neighborhood in Newark where I wouldn't feel like an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I'm white, and lived in Ironbound for almost 5 years. I'm not Portuguese or Brazilian. And I didn't feel like an outsider.

And the younger generation of Brazilians and other South Americans moving into the Ironbound are no different than you'd find in many urban areas, if anything they are more attached to their native culture and less attached to typical ghetto culture of America, which I find more alienating than simply hearing people speaking Portuguese or Spanish.

Are there places I would fit in better than the Ironbound? Sure. But the Ironbound is probably the only neighborhood in Newark where I wouldn't feel like an outsider.
Typical ghetto culture of America??? Well excuse me, oh holier than thou. If you’re so against ghetto, then why did you decide to live for 5 years in Newark - one of the most ghetto cities in America. As much as I like Ironbound, let’s not make it out to be some isolated Nirvana. It’s situated blocks away from one of the most dangerous sections of any city in this country. Don’t think for one second that the gangsters across the highway don’t venture into Ironbound and rob people and steal cars. Because I know for a fact that they do. Thugs aren’t afraid of soccer balls.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
Never felt like an outsider and you don't speak the language? That is sort of unusual but there are exceptions to everything.
No one here asked for opinions about ghetto culture but regardless there are different types of ghettos to be sure. Relating to European culture makes you feel more at home in a place where most of the residents communicate in a language you don't even speak yourself?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Relating to European culture makes you feel more at home in a place where most of the residents communicate in a language you don't even speak yourself?
English? They do speak english, you know. And are quite friendly, and ready to do it, too.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM

217 posts, read 1,146,925 times
What i think is that the ppl who are bashing Ironbound saying its a dirty trashy Portuguese area are afraid of urban areas and minorities.

Truth be told.. theres a lot of *ussy's on this site they are afraid of many towns with a minority rate higher then 20%. Thats why you cant rely on this site so much on that subject. I mean ppl are afraid of my home town Hackensack??? be very afraid

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Typical ghetto culture of America??? Well excuse me, oh holier than thou. If you’re so against ghetto, then why did you decide to live for 5 years in Newark - one of the most ghetto cities in America. As much as I like Ironbound, let’s not make it out to be some isolated Nirvana. It’s situated blocks away from one of the most dangerous sections of any city in this country. Don’t think for one second that the gangsters across the highway don’t venture into Ironbound and rob people and steal cars. Because I know for a fact that they do. Thugs aren’t afraid of soccer balls.
Thanks - but I don't need a lesson in Newark's geography, having actually lived there, thankyouverymuch.

I'm not saying it's Nirvana. I'm saying that just because there are many people who speak Spanish/Portuguese it doesn't mean that an English-speaker will feel out of place. Nearly everyone in the Ironbound speaks English as well.

What makes me feel out of place is ghetto culture, not the language that people speak. And the ghetto culture in the Ironbound is less than in other parts of Newark, and less than in some other towns as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Relating to European culture makes you feel more at home in a place where most of the residents communicate in a language you don't even speak yourself?
Yup. Most Ironbound residents are bilingual and speak English as well, so I never had a problem communicating with anyone. And, as a European-American, but not someone into ghetto culture, what's surprising about feeling more at home among other European-Americans than among those English speaking people who are into ghetto culture?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
I would never say they don't speak english but that is not really saying much.
Using the ghetto comparison- at least it's not the ghetto? If that's why you feel at home then I guess it makes sense for you but you can like other cultures and not feel "at home".

Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

Brasilians for the most part are not Hispanic. I've actually not known one Hispanic Brasilian, it's just not something thats usual. Were usually either Mixed ancestry (pardo) or white as in Caucasian. Brasil's propulation is over 50 percent white/european ancestry, mostly Portuguese, German and Italian. Look at the Brasilian supermodels, they represent racial population in Brasil.

However, most Brasilians who immigrate the the USA are mixed raced usually. Most Brasilians will likely go back , the economy is doing alot better in Brasil right now than in the USA.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasil34 View Post
Look at the Brasilian supermodels
I try to as often as possible

Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,245 times
Afraid of urban areas and minorities? Sure ... I was the one born and raised in Elizabeth, not some sissy Bergen County town. This thread wasn't about what areas the toughest, it's about where a person would feel comfortable. If you would feel comfortable living around a bunch of people that don't speak your language, then go knock yourself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey