Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times

Advertisements

Did any of you go to school?

Sorry not all school is boring

Elementary was a lot of fun, but it was not the classes, it was the playtime

Gym classes are fun, playing orchestra in front of a live audience was fun, but that got old quick

Industrial arts was fun in the beginning

The core classes were boring, the electives were fun because we goofed off

bottom line is class is boring

That does not mean you cannot excel in school

Again the challenge is to have enough discipline to get passed the boredom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Still disagree NJ Chutzpah.... I actually didn't find learning boring.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
How old is your child? You use the term courses which makes me think middle or high school. Usually in these grades classes are leveled and students placed with others at a similar level. In high school you would want to look at what AP courses are offered.

At the elementary level you can inquire about the districts Gifted and Talented program and see if your child could be considered.

As a teacher I can say that often the first couple of weeks of school are a review. Students often forget some of the basics over the summer so it is a re-hash.

Schools have the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards that dictate what skills should be mastered by each grade. Different districts have different ways to meet these standards but usually they build on previous years skills and add new ones as the current year progresses.

I agree that sometimes the delivery of the material is boring...I run a very non-traditional classroom. (for example to learn about govt (social studies) the class was divided into two teams, the democrats and the republicans - they had to choose a member of the group to run for class president - Now they are making campaign posters (writing)), so as soon as my kids have to sit and listen to new material they say they are bored. It doesn't mean they are all mastering the material.

Look at your child's grades. If he/she is mastering in certain subjects I would conference with the teacher and ask how your child can receive additional, more challenging assignments. Teachers teach to the middle of the class. The kids on the bottom often have their work modified and the kids at the top should be provided more enriched opportunities. It is called differentiating instruction. It's a lot of work for a teacher but it's our job to do it.
Thanks
I have a child in early teens, ( I know the feeling of being bored, sometimes is a wandering mind and hormones) My child has given a gift, reading at the age of two, truly unique, is in several advanced courses, has been enrolled in skating, basketball, scouts, community service and such. I feel I am doing a disservice not challenging inherent skills.
Have recently learned of the Magnet school for my County, we are going to test and await results.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
How old is your child? You use the term courses which makes me think middle or high school. Usually in these grades classes are leveled and students placed with others at a similar level. In high school you would want to look at what AP courses are offered.

At the elementary level you can inquire about the districts Gifted and Talented program and see if your child could be considered.

As a teacher I can say that often the first couple of weeks of school are a review. Students often forget some of the basics over the summer so it is a re-hash.

Schools have the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards that dictate what skills should be mastered by each grade. Different districts have different ways to meet these standards but usually they build on previous years skills and add new ones as the current year progresses.

I agree that sometimes the delivery of the material is boring...I run a very non-traditional classroom. (for example to learn about govt (social studies) the class was divided into two teams, the democrats and the republicans - they had to choose a member of the group to run for class president - Now they are making campaign posters (writing)), so as soon as my kids have to sit and listen to new material they say they are bored. It doesn't mean they are all mastering the material.

Look at your child's grades. If he/she is mastering in certain subjects I would conference with the teacher and ask how your child can receive additional, more challenging assignments. Teachers teach to the middle of the class. The kids on the bottom often have their work modified and the kids at the top should be provided more enriched opportunities. It is called differentiating instruction. It's a lot of work for a teacher but it's our job to do it.
Thanks for reply
Have recently been informed of Magnet school in my area. We must test and apply. I will also inquire as to the "differentiating instruction" as well.
Regards
Sligogirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey