U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 31,850 times

Advertisements

OK, A little history, I'm 37yrs. old, married, on small child, boy-9yrs. old. Left LI-NY in 1993 and moved to Wilmington, NC until now. Moved here years ago to relocate with a company that is now gone. Always missed the North-east, growing up in the 70's-80's Graduated HS-1989. Now possibly looking to come back. My job search is strong in the central and northern NJ area. But the areas I grow up in, nice family areas back then, does not seem like a place i would want to live now! I need some info on, if this even exists anymore, nice mid to small town area, not tooo far from the coast or water, good schools, maybe even private Catholic if necc. and a safe place to raise a family most important. Does this exist anymore?? I'm I looking for a lost place in time?? I visted the NY area a couple times a year, and unfortunetly the area I grow up in does not seem like home anymore. Housing prices, not apartments, of course important, prob. rent for awhile, need to be looking for under 2k a month. Any-help, greaaaaatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,321,792 times
How about Metuchen?
About Metuchen, New Jersey

St. Francis of Assisi Cathedral

Old 09-13-2008, 02:51 PM

44 posts, read 196,591 times
Metuchen, Spotswood, South River, Milltown, Clark, Cranford.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:34 PM

42 posts, read 95,394 times
Try Fair Haven

Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 PM

53 posts, read 101,758 times
The Somerset Hills area is wonderful... Bedminster, Bernardsville, etc. And Flemington and Clinton in Hunterdon County are very nice.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,544,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper's Judge View Post
The Somerset Hills area is wonderful... Bedminster, Bernardsville, etc. And Flemington and Clinton in Hunterdon County are very nice.
Bernardsville? The OP said under 2K a month, not under 2K a week............

Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,660,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmansmom View Post
Metuchen, Spotswood, South River, Milltown, Clark, Cranford.
I may be laughed out of the thread for this, but East Brunswick. They've got a decent sized Catholic presence there, from what I remember. Plus St. Bart's is right there in the middle of town.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,037,928 times
Take a look at Franklin Park. I recently saw it in a great place to live poll. I grew up accross the street in Kendall Park, but that's too pricey. There's a great Catholic School there called St. Augustine's too.

When I live there, the Franklin Park schools weren't that great, but I'm starting to hear good things now. I do have family that lives there now and loves it. It's close to the Brunswicks and is near the heart of Central NJ, so you're close to everything.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,660,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Take a look at Franklin Park. I recently saw it in a great place to live poll. I grew up accross the street in Kendall Park, but that's too pricey. There's a great Catholic School there called St. Augustine's too.

When I live there, the Franklin Park schools weren't that great, but I'm starting to hear good things now. I do have family that lives there now and loves it. It's close to the Brunswicks and is near the heart of Central NJ, so you're close to everything.

Good Luck!
Remember the discussion we had about East Windsor? Imagine that for Franklin, 100x worse.

There is a major issue with the area of Franklin bordering New Brunswick.

So yes, there are some nice areas of Franklin, but the hype about being a great place to live is just that - hype.

Schools in Franklin are still pretty bad. Hillsborough, East Brunswick, North Brunswick, South Brunswick - much better.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM

53 posts, read 101,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Bernardsville? The OP said under 2K a month, not under 2K a week............

Yeah, I can read. Lots of condos available for rent. Especially check into the rent controlled condos in Bedminster in the Hills for people who meet certain income criteria. Perhaps Peter Cagnisola of Bedminster Hills Realty can help you. It's a wonderful place to raise a family. Crime is non-existent, great access to everything via major routes, excellent school system and good Catholic schools and excellent private schools available (if you can afford those). I love it there and sometimes wished I hadn't left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey