Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,679 times

Advertisements

I'm a student at the Richard Stockton College of NJ, i have off campus housing about a mile from school. I share the house with my roommate and myself, my roommate owns the house therefore gets use of the driveway. Besides the front of my car scrapes coming out of the driveway anyway.

Its a residential street with a speed limit of 25, no shoulder and no middle dividing line. Am i allowed to park in front of the house on the street? I see no signs saying no street parking, but the neighbor across the street said i would get a ticket if i did. I've been there about a month now with no trouble yet, am i breaking the law?

Any help is appreciated...Thanks You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
A lot of towns in NJ prohibit street parking overnight. Most of them post such a prohibition on signs located at the municipal limits, and not on every block of every street. See this example from West Hartford, CT:

Look for similar signs at the limits of your town, and call town hall or the police department to ask if they have such an ordinance (you don't have to give your address/name or tell them that you're parking now, just ask if such an ordinance exists).

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Yup just call the town and explain you recently moved into town and wondered if its ok to park on the street. You may have to give the street name.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 19,209 times
Not to be mean or anything, but wouldn't calling your local cops be the first thought, before posting to folks that have very little chance of living anywhere around where you are? Again, no swipe at you saying you are a college student or anything. In fact, being a student from an era of much lower technology, (late 70s-early 80s) I wish I had the web as a resource. It just seemed like such a local thing.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
If the neighbor said you will get a ticket, then your probably will. Do you see any other cars parked in street? If not, then there is no parking allowed.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 14,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre98 View Post
Not to be mean or anything, but wouldn't calling your local cops be the first thought, before posting to folks that have very little chance of living anywhere around where you are? Again, no swipe at you saying you are a college student or anything. In fact, being a student from an era of much lower technology, (late 70s-early 80s) I wish I had the web as a resource. It just seemed like such a local thing.
well i googled "new jersey street parking laws" or something of the sort and this came up.

I didnt want to draw police attention unless i had to. There are other cars parked on the street they pull a little bit into the grass, thats what i started doing.

Thanks for the replies

Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Street parking laws are different in every town. Local ordinances enforced by local police. Check with your town. The info is probably not on the town's website, so if you want to be sure, call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey