U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 20,837,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Man this has taken a SERIOUSLY ugly turn! LOL!

First of all... if we were playing "Death is not an option.." (Ever play that???) and it was McC or Palin I'd have to go for Palin and just ask her to PLEASE not talk. That said... no freaking way in hell to either! LOL!

Now, I think this is just a garbled sexist attempt to distract through the real issues of the campaign. Honnestly, with me and Wiley being the first all woman (GIRL POWER!!!!!) team to attempt to take over the white house - it's just plain wrong.

Wiley --- tell B&C to start planning the soccer games on the lawn. And start thinking of who should play us on SNL.....
easy tiger on the palin thing...yooz knows the rulez....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM

393 posts, read 687,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It all goes into one big pot....SS is paying out far more then what is being taken in due to people living longer...when SS was implemented what was the life expectency...65-70 ...people are living into their late 80's and beyond
My kids will be lucky if they ever get a SS check when they retire
True, true, I guess I'm a bit peeved since my folks worked 80 years collectively. My Mom was taken out of school in order to support the family. Both worked 'til 65 yrs of age, then Pop died at 70.
I have had this discussion with my husband, over and over..., his view, "How else will the new arrivals be supported, they will ask for more services from the Government, if not receiving an SS check"
Say, an new arrival comes to the U.S. and works only ten years, and collect SS for over thirty, where is the fairness...?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,007,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
easy tiger on the palin thing...yooz knows the rulez....
Tell me you are not going to make me pick McCain over Palin (in this, and only this, scenario...) if death were not an option? LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,007,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
True, true, I guess I'm a bit peeved since my folks worked 80 years collectively. My Mom was taken out of school in order to support the family. Both worked 'til 65 yrs of age, then Pop died at 70.
I have had this discussion with my husband, over and over..., his view, "How else will the new arrivals be supported, they will ask for more services from the Government, if not receiving an SS check"
Say, an new arrival comes to the U.S. and works only ten years, and collect SS for over thirty, where is the fairness...?
This is comparing apples and oranges.....

First of all, if the new arrival was "illegal" they will not ever collect a SS check...even if they have paid into it... because many have this very scenario play out.

Second, if they are LEGAL, I don't know what the rules are on SS... but they would not earn any more than any other person would...it's all financial formulas...

Third, the reason that your Mom gets to choose the higher amount stemmed from a time when most women did not work... but they certainly did contribute to the earning capability of their husbands.

The fact that your mom gets the higher amount is a good deal.. considering... but there is no way you can collect for 2 people if there is only one left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey