Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times

Advertisements

Michele: Check your Direct Messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
There is a great company in Glen Ridge NJ called Smith Design.. check them out. I did freelance work for them years ago. Great place.. great people, but unfortunately I didn't have enough experience at the time.

Looks like they have a position open as well.

Smith Design

Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelef1l View Post
I'm a graphic designer currently living in Philadelphia. I desperately want to get out of this city, and my boyfriend might possibly be taking a job in Brick, NJ. Where would be the best place to find a graphic design job? Are there any places that are sort of close by? We figured we could live somewhere in the middle of wherever we both work if I find a job more north.

Any suggestions?
Even if you stayed working in Philly, I don't see anywhere that you could live where both of you would travel 30 minutes. I was thinking Southampton NJ, the drive for each of you would be about 50 minutes or more depending on traffic. I also checked Trenton.

What I did was went to Google Maps, put in Philadelphia PA as the starting point, then Brick NJ as the end. I then looked at what was in between.

It might be easier to figure something out for your BF. What type of work does he do? I do have a suggestion for work with you being able to stay in Philly. We live in Williamstown, the commute to Philly isn't bad. Hubby went to the airport a month ago, took about 25 minutes.

Quote:
I'm sure I'll find something eventually....I hope! I just really REALLY would like to live by the shore. I LOVE the beach and have always wanted to live close to it. And especially after living in Philadelphia (I haven't even been here that long but I HATE it and need to get out) I just want to live in a nice, quiet suburban area that is SAFE, possibly with nice people (the people here are mostly ignorant a**holes), and some decent entertainment (and by that I mean good shopping centers, which Brick seemed to have plenty of, good restaurants, a couple good movie theaters, and an overall good community. I hope this is possible without a complete career change!!
I could never live in Brick, too congested for me but some people like that.
If I listen to the traffic report, seems like there is always some sort of congestion in Brick.

If I was you, I would check the area out at different times of the day. Make sure you keep 101.5 (FM) on to listen to the traffic reports while you are there.

Williamstown actually fits what you're looking for. We have tons of stuff, shopping mall is at the Deptford mall. Route 42 has tons of shopping as well as other streets.

Only thing we don't have is the beach..

Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 PM

71 posts, read 337,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Even if you stayed working in Philly, I don't see anywhere that you could live where both of you would travel 30 minutes. I was thinking Southampton NJ, the drive for each of you would be about 50 minutes or more depending on traffic. I also checked Trenton.

What I did was went to Google Maps, put in Philadelphia PA as the starting point, then Brick NJ as the end. I then looked at what was in between.

I could never live in Brick, too congested for me but some people like that.
If I listen to the traffic report, seems like there is always some sort of congestion in Brick.

If I was you, I would check the area out at different times of the day. Make sure you keep 101.5 (FM) on to listen to the traffic reports while you are there.

Williamstown actually fits what you're looking for. We have tons of stuff, shopping mall is at the Deptford mall. Route 42 has tons of shopping as well as other streets.

Only thing we don't have is the beach..

If you read my question it says that I DO NOT want to stay in Philadelphia, nor do I want to work in Philadelphia. The question is that my boyfriend might have a job in Brick and I wanted to know what the job prospects are like for graphic designers IN THAT AREA. NOT PHILADELPHIA.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
You will most likely have a commute on your hands.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
If you read my question it says that I DO NOT want to stay in Philadelphia, nor do I want to work in Philadelphia. The question is that my boyfriend might have a job in Brick and I wanted to know what the job prospects are like for graphic designers IN THAT AREA. NOT PHILADELPHIA.
Wow.. Out of everything I posted, that's all you said?
I did see that you said you don't want to stay in Philly but I did read the post and it looks like you'll have to work in A CITY, so I gave advice as a just in case, you don't have to be rude about it.

Your BF might have a job in Brick, you probably need to work in A CITY. NY to Brick is about 1 hour 29 mins (up to 2 hours 20 mins in traffic). Philly to Brick is about about 1 hour 38 mins, so if you had to work in A CITY, you are better off keeping your job in Philly

You can't afford to place an ad, you appear new to graphic design (from things you've said). You very well could be leaving a job with good benefits & salary, move up potential to work at a smaller place where you won't be paid as much.

There are other posts here where people complain about the salary. I thank my lucky stars my son changed his major.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
I changed my career from graphic design. It was way too difficult to get a job around here that wasn't in NYC. Unless you stay near a big city it will be very difficult, especially now that jobs are getting cut.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM

I believe there are two things that can help with finding design jobs: You need a niche, and like others have said, you need to be near a big city. The need to be by a big city are the main reasons why we are looking to move not far from Manhattan - because it'll give me easy access to NYC.

I also have a couple of niche design skills. I am a presentation designer, which is hard to find because most graphic designers scoff at having to use powerpoint. Well, I charge a nice hourly rate, and have a pretty strong client base as a result of the fact that I am pretty good at what I do.

My other niche is label design, helped out by the fact that my husband manufactures a bottled sauce, and knows the ins and outs of the technical side of it, and I have learned how to design with not much space to work with. Really good label designers (and apparently not so good label designers) can make a nice buck doing this kind of design too, as it is also a specialized skill.

Regular print designers are a dime a dozen. Web designers are a dime a dozen (though really good web designers can demand and get top dollar, and probably the same with print designers). Get a niche, and you can really work at writing your own ticket.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM

71 posts, read 337,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
You will most likely have a commute on your hands.
Are most of the jobs actually in NYC or are there jobs out in the West or Northern parts of NY? I'm really just trying to get a feel for the NJ/NY area.

Thanks!

and a question for Monack--

Is there a big demand for presentation and label designers? What areas? Do most places require a background in that field or do they take graphic designers as well?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Anywhere where there is going to be big industry is going to give you a chance of getting a job. Take a look on Craigs List and monster.com to get some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey