Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM

33 posts, read 131,957 times

Advertisements

Catskills in NJ, that sounds nice. Funny somene recommended Wayne to me & here you left it for Randolph. I will stay away from Ginsberg for certain. Great sport programs sounds good. My son plays ice hockey and I hear the program is good in Randolph. About high taxes, I will take that under advisement...but I am will to pay more for better schools and community programs. But wasteful spending, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Ice hockey in Randolph is definitely among the stronger programs in the area and the town generally has great youth sports programs.

You're right to try to balance the taxes against the schools and other services. We moved to Randolph from Morris Township and we miss the lower taxes. Morris Twp has some great neighborhoods, but a relatively higher percentage of people end up sending their kids to private school.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
all

1 posts, read 2,593 times
Smile Great Town to Live In

Randolph is a great town to live in. Great schools - almost excellent-
providing many services and choices to students. The NJ Monthly ranking is not all inclusive.

There are many excellent town services - parks and recreation -offering many choices of trails, and parks for hiking and enjoyment. The excellent recreation dept. offers sports training and teams for many sports, art classes, dance classes, summer camps, and pre-school is available through the town. Randolph has a nice library offering many excellent programs for all age groups. There is well-managed snow, recycling, and garbage removal, a responsive police department, & fire department. Scenic, and large property/lots. Taxes are high in all of northern NJ.

I enjoy shopping in Dover - it is multi-cultural. It has a nice children's museum, a well-respected Auction House, a large reliable Paint & Wall-Paper store, and inexpensive gas. It has old-world charm.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM

33 posts, read 131,957 times
Good to know there are lots of programs offered, very family oriented. It sounds like there are great people there too. Plus, if lower taxes mean I will want to send my kids to private school, that is no bargain!! I am hoping to find great schools where I move. Randolph seems like it might fit the bill.
: )

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
We've lived in Randolph for 11 years, and love it. Randolph has solid schools, great outdoor recreation options (parks, trails etc) and though we don't have a town center, other towns and shopping are all very close. We're somewhat more rural and less developed than towns to the east of us. We have many friends here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 15,048 times
The other three towns would probably be considered a bit more up scale. I grew up in Mountain Lakes. It's a great town. I wish I hadn't left. The Mountain Lakes public school system is among the top 1000 school systems in the country. Mendham and Chester are also very nice towns. I know there have been some new homes built in Randolph in the last few years that are beautiful. Randolph also has the County College of Morris, which is a top-notch community college.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,472 times
Default you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I feel like Randolph is on it's way down. It's just not the same uptopia with amazing schools it once was. I would pick any of the other 3 towns you mentioned even if it meant a lesser house. Best of luck.
I am wondering if the schools are on their way down, too. I found this letter on the HS website.
http://www.rtnj.org/files/32141/CSSpiritWeek.pdf (broken link)

It's a huge school, so it must be hard to manage.
Are they on a block schedule? I'm not a big fan of that.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist09 View Post
Catskills in NJ, that sounds nice. Funny somene recommended Wayne to me & here you left it for Randolph. I will stay away from Ginsberg for certain. Great sport programs sounds good. My son plays ice hockey and I hear the program is good in Randolph. About high taxes, I will take that under advisement...but I am will to pay more for better schools and community programs. But wasteful spending, no thanks.
actually Mount Freedom was the real first borscht belt!! There were hotels and resorts!! Hard to believe but true!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj4u View Post
Are they on a block schedule? I'm not a big fan of that.
The high school did just move to the block scheduling. Still going through adjustment period... opinions vary at this point.

As far as "on the way down"? I think that would be overstating it, although many of the rankings are not as high as they were. But I would still call it a very good school system that continues to invest in additions, technology, etc.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
The high school did just move to the block scheduling. Still going through adjustment period... opinions vary at this point.

As far as "on the way down"? I think that would be overstating it, although many of the rankings are not as high as they were. But I would still call it a very good school system that continues to invest in additions, technology, etc.
I think the bolded text is the definition of "on their way down".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey