U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM

10 posts, read 48,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and i moved from out of state...times have been very tuff since we got back to jersey...bills have got higher and pay has been cut in half...

I need to find a stable job with decent pay $25/hr+++ with plenty of overtime available!!!....i dont have a degree so i was thinking some kind of government job like workin for the township????

Please help with any suggestions you have to support my wife and baby girl!!!

Thanks in advance for all the valued advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 126,546 times
it would prob be easier to find a job that pays 15-18 dollars an hour and have ur wife work a few days a week as well.......you can try and be a correction officer, they pay that much and u can get tons of over time..but are you up for that? And you would have to pass the test, which isn't to hard.

Working for big cell phones stores pays really well too, spec during holidays and when new phones comes out. The com. is GREAT. But when the year ends it may only end up around 18-20 dollars an hour.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,751,584 times
Most of those prison shows are in Cali where they have race wars goin on

I do not think the Jerz prisons have that problem

Not that it will be a cake walk, but no job is

If you do corrections officer for maybe like 3yrs, you can probably move to different LE or security fields

Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM

21 posts, read 126,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Most of those prison shows are in Cali where they have race wars goin on

I do not think the Jerz prisons have that problem

Not that it will be a cake walk, but no job is

If you do corrections officer for maybe like 3yrs, you can probably move to different LE or security fields
my dad worked at 2 prison's in NJ for 20 years, and they were not easy, but wasn't horrible! He did get into a cpl fights and of course had problems.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 20,831 times
I HAVE a college degree and I cannot find a job anywhere!
Let alone one that pays over 25$ an hour!
Do me a favor and let me know when you find that job so I can apply for it too!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,372,460 times
I worked in the prison system for 10+ years. Good job, great benefits and a really good union. Try it. It's not that bad, I actually miss it! I know, it sounds nuts, but it's a world of it's own and a very interesting one at that. The pay isn't great for what you're dealing with but many many people make a good living from it.
If you have any kind of technical or vocational skills, try to get in with PSEG or something like that. Again, good job, good benefits, great union and pretty good pay.
Good luck to you.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM

7,577 posts, read 14,875,232 times
Air traffic controller! It pays really well and all they require is a HS Diploma!!! It is, from what I hear, a very stressful job but it does pay well. Another high paying job is "Toll Taker" Some of them are making over 100K yr. with all the over-time they are putting in.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 AM

142 posts, read 386,284 times
I'm sorry, and no offense to anyone, but toll takers get paid waaaaay too much for what they do.

Anyway, if you're not afraid of heights, Union Ironworkers get paid MAD MONEY. They have a great union, with awesome pay and incentives (annuity, pension fund and vacation pay every 3 mos). My DH LOVES his job, and the pay is amazing. It is dangerous...yes, but there's nothing else he rather do. He built the tallest building in NJ....in Jersey City, the Goldman Sax building.

The apprenticeship is now 4 years (instead of 3), but once you're done w/ that, you get paid full pay and it's so worth it. Oh, and before hand you need to take a test....a written, and a walk the beam test. Then if you pass, you start the apprenticeship.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:25 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,529,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammaof2girls View Post
I'm sorry, and no offense to anyone, but toll takers get paid waaaaay too much for what they do.

Anyway, if you're not afraid of heights, Union Ironworkers get paid MAD MONEY. They have a great union, with awesome pay and incentives (annuity, pension fund and vacation pay every 3 mos). My DH LOVES his job, and the pay is amazing. It is dangerous...yes, but there's nothing else he rather do. He built the tallest building in NJ....in Jersey City, the Goldman Sax building.

The apprenticeship is now 4 years (instead of 3), but once you're done w/ that, you get paid full pay and it's so worth it. Oh, and before hand you need to take a test....a written, and a walk the beam test. Then if you pass, you start the apprenticeship.

Good luck to you.
And given the major slowdown in the construction industry in NJ (and in the US in general), the chances of him getting into the IW local is slim to none. I haven't checked the website recently, but I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of folks riding the benches at the hall right now.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM

10,928 posts, read 15,475,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbnjbound View Post
My wife and i moved from out of state...times have been very tuff since we got back to jersey...bills have got higher and pay has been cut in half...

I need to find a stable job with decent pay $25/hr+++ with plenty of overtime available!!!....i dont have a degree so i was thinking some kind of government job like workin for the township????

Please help with any suggestions you have to support my wife and baby girl!!!

Thanks in advance for all the valued advice...

Only thing I can think of is try to get into one of the trade unions..pipefitter, electrician etc but the first 5 years you are an apprentice, so I don't think you will make $25 ph after that 5 years your salary sky rockets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey