Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,468,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
They think they are the only real Jews
i dont think you have to defend anything because of anyone else. you are responsible for only yourself.

however, maybe they are the only real jews. we have been raised reform jews and my mom thinks its such a great religion. in the meantime, she really does nothing to follow the religion except has family get togethers for the holidays. i dont really think its right to pretend like you follow a religion when you barely do anything required of the followers.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
This thread reminded me--a friend of mine had to go to a christening in a town near Lakewood a few years ago. While driving through Lakewood, she stopped at a traffic light and a young Orthodox man was crossing infront her. He stopped, opened his coat and exposed himself to her.

She was shocked because it was so unexpected, but she did say God had been very good to him.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 PM

57 posts, read 308,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think you have to defend anything because of anyone else. you are responsible for only yourself.

however, maybe they are the only real jews. we have been raised reform jews and my mom thinks its such a great religion. in the meantime, she really does nothing to follow the religion except has family get togethers for the holidays. i dont really think its right to pretend like you follow a religion when you barely do anything required of the followers.

CaptainNJ,

In my home we do more than nothing. My wife lights Shabbat candles every week, I went to a modern orthodox yeshiva as a child and my son went to Schechter. I grew up with all kinds of Jews but none like the Yeshivish in Lakewood.

Lots of Jews love being Jewish and do a little more then just get appetizing to break the fast on Yom Kippur. Plenty of Jews practice nothing but still have a great connection to the Jewish people and the land of Israel.

NO these people don’t represent me personally but they put on a uniform and represent all of us collectively. The Mormons go out into the world and put their best foot forward but the haredi don’t care what the goyum think

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 30,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgtr View Post
Hi everyone
My name is david im a religious jew im modern orthodox and I was born in europe and now have lived in lakewood for 17 years. I will try to clear up a few issues going on here . Im a open mided person and work with people of all races and religion I go to a gym in jackson and I get along with most people. first if all , yes friday is hectic and everyone is rushing which is not too good on traffic something has to be done about that but before you judge think of x-mas eve with shopping and everything ....think of this as as x-mas every friday lol.....next I dont think jewish people are rude ( again there all all sorts of flavor in the bag) most of them are just shy and reserved since they seclude themselves from the outside world they get a little flustered and lost when they go out , most of the time if you talk to them they like sports just like everyone my rule in life is that everyone deserves kindness and respect until they cross the line then I become goliath....lol( it was just a joke if you have any questions just ask me and ill try to answer
I've lived in Lakewood for 34 years. Back in the '70's the only Jewish people could be found at the north end of Forest Ave. We used to call it the "Jew Section"
14th St was where the "regular" Jews lived(I do not know the proper term). These were the folks who dress "normal" and don't observe the Sabbath. They drive normal cars(not the beat up station wagons or Buicks).
I'm not trying to offend, but this is the way it is.
Most of the Jewish community was on the north side of the lake, soon they migrated to other parts of Lakewood as kids grew older and bought houses of their own in other towns. The parents also relocated.
I do believe the Jewish people created a fals real estate market by offering double what a house was worth so they could buy it.

The non Jewish saw this as a way to cash in and make a ton of money. That hurt the rest of us who grew up here and enjoyed it. EVeryone saw dollar signs and took it and now the population of Lakewood has exploded.

Whoever is in charge has the Jewish people buying up land wherever they can tearing down the woods and building the ugliest buildings and houses.
It's ruined the town.
My taxes have doubled and I don't get any more service from the township, if anything I get less.
If I put garbage out on the street to early, I get a violation notice. The Jewish people put their garbage out and in some cases it stays on the streets for weeks( I know of one house that put a bay window on the curb over a month ago and it still sits there, the garbage truck has even hit it once or twice).

When I do get a violation notice(such as parking a car off the driveway), I comply, but yet all my neighbors don't seem to get violation notices or they ignore them. When I called the code office, they swear that those who don't comply, get fined progressively from $100 for the first time up to $1000. I can't see any Jew paying a fine for anything when they don't want to spend money in the first place(unless it's for something essential).

My biggest problem is with the entire Jewish community not obeying any traffic laws. None of them. Always speeding through residential neighborhoods, backing out of driveways without looking first and causing accidents. Running red lights, running through stop signs, pulling into traffic without looking, tailgating etc.
If they would just obey the law, over 50% of my problem with them would be gone.
The other half consists of the rudeness and the destruction of our landscape.
At this rate, the Township of Lakewood will have to be changed to Lake since there will be no more woods.
I will leave Lakewood since the Lakewood I once knew and loved no longer exists and never will again and it's a shame.
I can't even move to Howell or Jackson since they are taking over there as well and I've heard they are starting businesses in Brick as well( I hate Brick anyway so I would never consider living there.
Toms River is too crowded, that doesn't leave much in Ocean County to move to, and I need to stay in Ocean County due to my job being in Lakewood.
If I could get the Rabbi's to instruct all to obey the traffic laws, I would be in heaven, but I know that won't happen so I will continue to exist in the Hell of Lakewood until I can find a more suitable place.

Quote:
David,
I’m sure you are a very nice modern orthodox person. I’m also sure that you are not typical of the orthodox in Lakewood.

It’s not about the traffic before Shabbat; it’s about people who believe no other people mater. It’s about people who teach their children to stay away from people not like them. You may work and socialize with all kinds of people but the Haredim do not.
While there are many fine examples from the community only the rude stand out. This is an on going problem for us (secular Jews) who have to defend all Jews because the Haredim cause as much trouble here as they do in Israel.

Far too many are arrogant, unpleasant and seemingly unhappy people.
They think they are the only real Jews well I got news for them, there are more of us and we love and support Israel while they do not.

I can’t tell you how happy I am to be the hell out of Lakewood and away from these people.
I'll have to agree with this.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Plenty of Jews practice nothing but still have a great connection to the Jewish people and the land of Israel.
then what makes them jews? anyone can feel a connection to the jews and israel. i think if you want to consider yourself a member of a religion you should follow the religion.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM

57 posts, read 308,982 times
Quote:
then what makes them jews? anyone can feel a connection to the jews and israel. i think if you want to consider yourself a member of a religion you should follow the religion.

Being Jewish is more than supply a religion. The Jewish people are a nation with the official religion being Judaism. Many Jews practice Buddhism but are still Jewish and identify as Jewish. We are a unique people with a unique history. I see the Jewish people as more then just the Jewish religion.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 PM

228 posts, read 506,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This thread reminded me--a friend of mine had to go to a christening in a town near Lakewood a few years ago. While driving through Lakewood, she stopped at a traffic light and a young Orthodox man was crossing infront her. He stopped, opened his coat and exposed himself to her.

She was shocked because it was so unexpected, but she did say God had been very good to him.
It was probably some weirdo dressed up as an Orthodox Jew. I bet he did it to everyone who was stopped at a traffic light.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Being Jewish is more than supply a religion. The Jewish people are a nation with the official religion being Judaism. Many Jews practice Buddhism but are still Jewish and identify as Jewish. We are a unique people with a unique history. I see the Jewish people as more then just the Jewish religion.
i dont totally disagree with you. im not trying to be confrontational with you, but these are things i have thought about myself with my family. i dont believe in the religion or do anything except get together on holidays. while its convenient to still say we are jewish, it is a religion with rules and i think that if you dont follow the rules, you arent really jewish. same goes with catholics that dont follow their religion properly or anyone else. on the other hand, it is kind of an ethnicity and in spite of my beliefs, the nazis would have thrown me in the gas chambers with everyone else.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 AM

17 posts, read 15,278 times
Quote:
I never knew many Jews and the ones I do know are not at all religous. Anyway, I thought I would ask you Lepke, because you seem to be extremely knowlegeable and accomodating on this thread. Anyway, my question is: Do all Jews consider themselves descended from the original Hebrews? Excuse me if my question sounds ignorant but from what I have read and heard the whole Jewish religion/ethnicity thing is confusing to me at best.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,476,302 times
Quote:
My SIL converted to Judaism (married a Jewish man who didn't know much about his religion until he married my SIL..who is also a narcissitic pig). Shortly after her conversion process she felt the need to travel to her "homeland". 9/11 changed her plans a bit. Didn't get to go. She was also once a Christian/liberal/feminist and totally anti-Israel...funny how things change. She now thinks of herself as part of a "RACE"... not just a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey