Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 87,287 times

Advertisements

This is interresting, I was talking to a lady today at a yard sale just outside our condo grounds. She told that yesterday she was driving down her street and there were five UOJ women with five strollers and about a dozen kids walking down the middle of the street. She was behind them for about a block and got tired of creeping along so she beeped her horn, she said they went crazy accusing her of trying to run them down etc. She worked her way through them a pulled into her driveway, they followed her in her yard calling her names etc. Her husband came out and told them he was a policeman (actually just retired) pointed to his PBA plaque on his car and they said we don't care what you are you mean nothing to us, only the rabbi means anything and they are going to report him and his wife for trying to kill them. This is nice, the police mean nothing only the rabbi matters. What kind of nonsense is this?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 PM

57 posts, read 309,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodresident View Post
This is interresting, I was talking to a lady today at a yard sale just outside our condo grounds. She told that yesterday she was driving down her street and there were five UOJ women with five strollers and about a dozen kids walking down the middle of the street. She was behind them for about a block and got tired of creeping along so she beeped her horn, she said they went crazy accusing her of trying to run them down etc. She worked her way through them a pulled into her driveway, they followed her in her yard calling her names etc. Her husband came out and told them he was a policeman (actually just retired) pointed to his PBA plaque on his car and they said we don't care what you are you mean nothing to us, only the rabbi means anything and they are going to report him and his wife for trying to kill them. This is nice, the police mean nothing only the rabbi matters. What kind of nonsense is this?
Good question, what kind of nonsense is this?
While I’ve no doubt that this woman told you this story, I do however doubt the veracity of her statement.
I’m sure this episode only happened in her mind. Orthodox Jewish mothers don’t go around starting fights with strangers in the street. I’m sorry to burst your bubble. I encounter Haredi Jews walking in the street every day and they always get out of the way of passing cars. When you are walking in a group it’s easier to walk in the street then on the sidewalk. These women would never say something like “you mean nothing to us”.
And certainly would never say to anyone that only the “rabbi” means anything and the police mean nothing. Even if they thought such a thing (and I doubt very much they even think it) they would never say it.

So let me give you back the same question. What kind of nonsense is this?

By the way here is a link to a short article about what’s going on in your community.

JBlog Central - The Jewish Blog Network | Lakewood, NJ - Rift Among Residents for Turning Condo Into Synagogue

Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 87,287 times
A little positive update on our community here in Lakewood, the building department came along and put up some nice red signs saying the building is unsafe and cannot be used. They were also told that they have to put the building back the way it was.
Also they are not allowed to have a synagogue here.
But of course from what I've heard they are now using another house on a different block.
Oh, also they just built a brand new synagouge about a half a mile away on Hope Chapel Road why not just go there

Last edited by lakewoodresident; 06-12-2007 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 AM

Congratulations on this small victory.
Unfortunately it’s only one battle in an ongoing war. My neighbor a Haredi himself (although he doesn’t dress like one) explained to me that his community is intent on taking over A Country Place. As a retirement community the residents will be dieing off over the next few years and that they (the Haredi community) will take over in time.

He staunchly defended the right of people to pray in that house and insisted that “technically” it’s not a synagogue but a house. He pointed out federal law and legal rulings of freedom of religion. I pointed out that it maybe the letter of the law but goes against the spirit of the law. He was unmoved by this. Then I pointed out that it is arrogant, un-neighborly, and simply not nice and bodes poorly on the Haredi community, to this he had nothing to say although I could tell he agreed.

Again I reiterate that if you are gentile or other then Haredi (secular, reform or conservative) don’t move to Lakewood.
Even most modern orthodox would be uncomfortable here.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Extremists, all religious extremists are dangerous.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Extremists, all religious extremists are dangerous.
Very true!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Very true!!!
I think fundamentalist Tibetan Buddhist monks are harmless.
But I could be wrong

Old 06-30-2007, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post

Another silly post in my opinion.
Comparing a NY City street to the aisle in(dirtiest) Walmart (in America) is just plain silly.
In Walmart (Howell) and Shoprite (Lakewood) you have a near certain chance of being bumped into numerous times by a Hacid woman with her 5 or 6 kids. Do they apologize? They are not allowed to talk to me, so how can they? Not that they would.
Of course this post will prob. be deleted because how dare we bring out any negative opinions of a majority minority religion in Lakewood. It's anti-semetic!
As for them moving into Howell. Believe me when I tell you they are looking at every angle poss. to do the same that they did to Lakewood 25+ years ago.
you know, whats interesting is that u sound like u have a lot of hate and resentment in you for whatever reason be it valid or not against the jewish orthodox community.
You cant judge the entire community on a whole, based on a few of the incidences you have unfortunately experienced.
I can tell you first hand that most of the people are not like that. you have rude ppl in every religion and in every place in the world, thats just life, but its unfair to judge everyone because of just a few. can you honestly say that youve never been rude or ignored someone yourself? never?
You really have to just let ppl be and let them practice whatever religion they want to. in the end, its whats gonna make you a better happier person.
and just so you know, if Lakewood's wallmart and shopright are so dirty, how come Lakewood's shopright gets a reward every year for being the nicest shopright around? why wouldn't Manhattan or any other "nice" place get noticed? think about it.
Oh, and also, Lakewood is EXTREAMLY over crowded. Do your research before you post.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Lightbulb Read the entire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyone View Post
you know, whats interesting is that u sound like u have a lot of hate and resentment in you for whatever reason be it valid or not against the jewish orthodox community.
You cant judge the entire community on a whole, based on a few of the incidences you have unfortunately experienced.
I can tell you first hand that most of the people are not like that. you have rude ppl in every religion and in every place in the world, thats just life, but its unfair to judge everyone because of just a few. can you honestly say that youve never been rude or ignored someone yourself? never?
You really have to just let ppl be and let them practice whatever religion they want to. in the end, its whats gonna make you a better happier person.
and just so you know, if Lakewood's wallmart and shopright are so dirty, how come Lakewood's shopright gets a reward every year for being the nicest shopright around? why wouldn't Manhattan or any other "nice" place get noticed? think about it.
Oh, and also, Lakewood is EXTREAMLY over crowded. Do your research before you post.
Many people have posted on this thread and many echo the same feeling or experiences with the Ultra/Orthodox/Hassidm Jewish People of that area. It's certainly not just LawrencevillGA and I honestly don't sense any hate nor resentment in his posts.
However, you are using some pretty strong words yourself. It's apparent that you are new to this forum/board. Just one little line of advice, perhaps you should read the entire thread before your next post.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodresident View Post
There are may elderly people living here who own these houses and this is all they have. Many are terrified of these UOJ's roaming the streets day and night...Also beware this could happen in your town next.
rotflmao!!!

Better whip out those lynching ropes now! First it was Negros, then the Gays, and now the orthodox Jews of Lakewood!!! Darn those awful minorities!!!

I wouldn't want to live in a town where the bulk of the population had very different cultural beliefs than I... I think most people feel more comfortable around people with similar beliefs. But to harass them while they follow the law (to their advantage), and then complain and accuse them of being scary when they don't cower under your threats and harassment, is wrong. They are as entitled to live there as anyone else...this is America, remember? If you don't like your neighbors, then move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey