Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times

Advertisements

I would only ever do Verizon or ATT now. Verizon is the most expensive of all the carriers IMO but I have NEVER had a dropped call or no signal anywhere in NJ even in the tunnels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Sprint..Sero..all the way...I had verizon for many many years..After paying a fortune for no features, I had enough. Switched to sprint for $30/month - unlimited data/text. Awesome! Reception very good..Some drop calls...Centro smartphone excellent.
Customer service - just go online and chat..done.. Will never go back to the money grubbing, no feature verizon again...

Old 09-25-2008, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 173,831 times
I'm also changing providers.... I have T-mobile and calls are always being dropped. We ordered phones and service from amazon and are going to try att....

Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I know there are a few cell phone threads, but my question was more specific.

I'm wondering (though it's all personal opinion/preference), which the best cell phone provider has been cost wise and reliability wise, in NNJ. Being that I'm moving to NJ in January (more than likely West Orange, though that may change), I need to get a new plan /provider (individual, as I'll be alone [I had Alltel up until about a month ago, and was really happy, though they're not offered in NJ without roaming).

Thanks.
Alltel is crap. A neighbor & my SS had them about 2 years ago they were always dropping calls. I don't know if they've changed since then but for NJ they were not that great.

If you are getting a house phone Verizon has a few great plans that include all the long distance you can make plus one to Canada, cost was under $65.

We've had Verizon for cells for a long time, hubby's had them for over 10, I've had them about 7. Yes they were a bit over priced but if you go online & see the plan prices have changed, they will gladly change you to that. They've also called us that the plan was not the best for us.

Look at their coverage map & you'll see they beat everyone else. Look at all the sites and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I hate Verizon for cell and landline
More info?
Why do you hate them?
When was the last time you used them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I've had verizon for 5+ years now and never had a problem.

It's also about the phones. I have an EnV2 because I text alot, which isn't available from other vendors.
Exactly. You buy cheap you get cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I would only ever do Verizon or ATT now. Verizon is the most expensive of all the carriers IMO but I have NEVER had a dropped call or no signal anywhere in NJ even in the tunnels!
Only problems I've had are on the back roads from Browns Mills to Great Adventure, there were 2 or 3 spots but they've been fixed.

Depending on the phone model, age & software, some phones worked in our house while others dropped calls. The newer the phones the better they were.

All of our phones have been purchased within the last year and a half, no problems in the house now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Sprint..Sero..all the way...I had verizon for many many years..After paying a fortune for no features, I had enough. Switched to sprint for $30/month - unlimited data/text. Awesome! Reception very good..Some drop calls...Centro smartphone excellent.
Customer service - just go online and chat..done.. Will never go back to the money grubbing, no feature verizon again...
Go look at their plans now, they've changed a lot.
They had to, they had to be more competitive.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Alltel is crap. A neighbor & my SS had them about 2 years ago they were always dropping calls. I don't know if they've changed since then but for NJ they were not that great.

If you are getting a house phone Verizon has a few great plans that include all the long distance you can make plus one to Canada, cost was under $65.

We've had Verizon for cells for a long time, hubby's had them for over 10, I've had them about 7. Yes they were a bit over priced but if you go online & see the plan prices have changed, they will gladly change you to that. They've also called us that the plan was not the best for us.

Look at their coverage map & you'll see they beat everyone else. Look at all the sites and compare.
Thanks! I don't know - Alltel is pretty popular around here, out of the nearly 2 years I had them (was on a shared plan with my brother, and I didn't want to start a new contract of my own, given that I'm moving in Jan) I only had one or two dropped calls, and one area (outside of Buffalo, NY [way out in the boonies]) that I couldn't get a signal without roaming around in the yard (but that was everyone that was with me).

Yep, I'll be needing internet and cell. No cable tv though, as I won't have a tv (don't watch it enough to invest in one).

Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Thanks! I don't know - Alltel is pretty popular around here, out of the nearly 2 years I had them (was on a shared plan with my brother, and I didn't want to start a new contract of my own, given that I'm moving in Jan) I only had one or two dropped calls, and one area (outside of Buffalo, NY [way out in the boonies]) that I couldn't get a signal without roaming around in the yard (but that was everyone that was with me).

Yep, I'll be needing internet and cell. No cable tv though, as I won't have a tv (don't watch it enough to invest in one).
We have Comcast for internet, it's a bit pricey but what isn't?
My step son just started working for Verizon, he said he's keeping Comcast internet because it's cheaper. I'm a little confused on that, I keep getting offers in the mail for a one year signed contract, 6 months free with the other 6 months being $30. I doubt it is for FIOS and if it is for their high speed they can keep it as I know people that have had it and had issues connecting. Every few weeks they'd have to call to have something done just to get online.

I know people that do have FIOS and love it, so I would price out FIOS or Comcast. You would also have to go to the FIOS site to see if it's even in the area. Right now, it's not in my area but they've been running the lines for it.

FIOS pricing - cheaper if you have Verizon phone service, I assume they mean a house line not cell.

Comcast link - click on shop

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
I have had cingular (AT&T) for years, and I thought it was pretty good. About a year ago my practice switched to verizon and I quickly realized how much better verizon is in this area. I live in Livingston and work in Montclair.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have had cingular (AT&T) for years, and I thought it was pretty good. About a year ago my practice switched to verizon and I quickly realized how much better verizon is in this area. I live in Livingston and work in Montclair.
Thanks! You'll be my new neighbor. I should be living on the WO/Livingston border.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We have Comcast for internet, it's a bit pricey but what isn't?
My step son just started working for Verizon, he said he's keeping Comcast internet because it's cheaper. I'm a little confused on that, I keep getting offers in the mail for a one year signed contract, 6 months free with the other 6 months being $30. I doubt it is for FIOS and if it is for their high speed they can keep it as I know people that have had it and had issues connecting. Every few weeks they'd have to call to have something done just to get online.

I know people that do have FIOS and love it, so I would price out FIOS or Comcast. You would also have to go to the FIOS site to see if it's even in the area. Right now, it's not in my area but they've been running the lines for it.

FIOS pricing - cheaper if you have Verizon phone service, I assume they mean a house line not cell.

Comcast link - click on shop
Thanks! I'll look at that. One of my good friends up there has Comcast and he hasn't said anything bad about it...but I'll give both a look.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You are going to get varying opinions...for me AT&T hands down. Never had a dropped call and worked fine for me when down in the islands. Never had any problems reaching a human when I needed to contact them
I hate Verizon for cell and landline
I totally agree with NJKATE. We tried T-Mobile and Verizon; dissatisfied with both. Verizon sounded garbled and would drop off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey