U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,207 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a used pick-up truck in New Jersey. I got it home and found there was no dmv inspection sticker on the windshield, and no mention of motor vehicle inspection in any of the documents. Can anyone tell me what is the dealer's responsibility for inspection when selling a used car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 AM

3,858 posts, read 7,412,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9068 View Post
I recently bought a used pick-up truck in New Jersey. I got it home and found there was no dmv inspection sticker on the windshield, and no mention of motor vehicle inspection in any of the documents. Can anyone tell me what is the dealer's responsibility for inspection when selling a used car?
I can't say what the dealer's responsibility would be, but my advice would be to just head to a state run inspection station (free) and get it done. You'll probably just give yourself a headache trying to fight with the dealer.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM

5,295 posts, read 6,088,988 times
Its your responsibility and it is free.

GL they are usually pretty thorough and ALWAYS look at emissions, ALL lights (even small ones like license plates) and brakes.

On 3 inspections they made sure power windows worked on 2. Checked the suspension on this shaking thing on 1.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,122 times
as soon as you get your registration, license plates and current insurance card take it to a state inspection facility. as far as the dealer goes they dont have to do anything unless they told you that they gaurentee inspection and most dont unless you are getting some type of warantee

Old 06-13-2017, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 263 times
I have been a used car dealer for the past 36 years...The other day going from point a to b got pulled over and ticket for no inspection sticker...Car I was driving is owned by the dealership with my used car tags on it ,Told cop I was not required to have an inspection sticker still got ticket....Where can I find where it states used cars held for sale by a licened dealer in nj does not have to inspect the whole inventory

Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 PM

13,800 posts, read 9,170,685 times
Depends on the year, got a notice that the 1989 jimmy no longer has to go to inspection. not sure what the cutoff year is, 1989 or later?

any paperwork as to when the truck was last inspected?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:01 PM

6,445 posts, read 3,318,115 times
If the car is older than 2 years (If I recall), the dealer cannot give it an inspection. You have to do it. The police will not bother you while you have temp license and registration. You are suppose to get it inspected no later than 10 days after the expiration of the temp license/plate.

I generally will hold on to my new plates/registration until I am at the station. Put them on and then head in for inspection.

If the car is older than 22 years, it can be exempt from inspection.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 PM

5,046 posts, read 10,840,795 times
If you're not required, the judge will toss it. Cops probably write things to justify themselves.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 PM

6,445 posts, read 3,318,115 times
Just noticed this From State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Beginning August 1, 2010, purchasers of used, non-commercial vehicles purchased in or out of New Jersey will no longer require an inspection until they are at least five model years old:
Vehicles purchased without a New Jersey inspection sticker will receive a decal valid until the last day of the month of registration, five years from the vehicle model year
Vehicle owners will receive Form SS-19 at the time of registration
Visit a state-operated inspection station with a valid registration card, NJ insurance ID card, driver license and Form SS-19
In addition, effective August 1, 2010, New Car Dealers will be allowed to issue new vehicle stickers to used non-commercial vehicles less than five (5) model years old
Used vehicles with a valid sticker are not required to be inspected until the month and year of the noted expiration date

Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 PM

278 posts, read 840,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If the car is older than 2 years (If I recall), the dealer cannot give it an inspection. You have to do it. The police will not bother you while you have temp license and registration. You are suppose to get it inspected no later than 10 days after the expiration of the temp license/plate.

I generally will hold on to my new plates/registration until I am at the station. Put them on and then head in for inspection.

If the car is older than 22 years, it can be exempt from inspection.
Yes, cars made for model years 1995 and older are exempt from nj inspection due to no OBDII port present. OBDII PORTS were installed for 1996 cars and newer. NJ only inspects emissions via OBDII ports....no more tail pipe, brakes, headlights, suspension, etc. I saw a car, not a jeep, but a car with a missing door pass inspection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey