U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2008, 02:36 PM

527 posts, read 888,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
OK another dumb question from me. I have been noticing more and more of these large stars on peoples homes. What do they stand for? Does it mean they are catholic,christian,jewish,islam,astrologists. WHAT.
It is a sure sign that the owner of the home is style and decorating challenged. The star thing became widely popular in New Jersey recently when Pottery Barn started having them in their catalogue and stores 3 or 4 years ago. Now you can buy them at Wal-mart and other mass market stores.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM

3,776 posts, read 5,879,423 times
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did not know what the dealio was with these stars. They are on every block now. I thought it was a religious thing. Well now I guess I confirmed that I am a dummy in front of 400,000 registered users. Well at least I didn't enter my photo so when someone sees me in Home Depot that they will laugh at me.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM

2,803 posts, read 2,547,215 times
did I mention that its the Texas lone star...pretty sure

Old 09-26-2008, 07:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,040,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Ummm, so the Texas lonestar is the only recorded use of a 5-pointed star???? C'mon, weren't you the one that said earlier "correct me if I'm wrong"? I think CuCullin and others have given clear support for the history of these decorations.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:54 AM

97 posts, read 276,932 times
it's been around for a while, in the 90's i worked in retail and it was a very big trend, esp. when Ralph Lauren did a huge campaign for his line. it was know back then as "Americana" fashions/ home decor. as with most things in fashion, at some point it will all come back around.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM

2,738 posts, read 6,291,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post

NO.

It is not.

Wow.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,038,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
OK another dumb question from me. I have been noticing more and more of these large stars on peoples homes. What do they stand for? Does it mean they are catholic,christian,jewish,islam,astrologists. WHAT.
Where have you been, JM?

It's decoration. You can buy one anywhere. Which is why I don't have one.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,279,103 times
I saw this for the first time yesterday in Merchantville. Two houses right next to each other had them. Lame. They look like big versions of "star bolts" that so many historic homes in the city have.

Those stars are meant to brace the facade. Since facades of rowhomes are not load-bearing they are normally free-standing and have a tendency to "distance" themselves from the house after 150 years or so. The bolts are anchored by the star on one end and are connected via long steel rods to plates that use the floor joists as anchors.

I have a feeling that the original purpose of a "barn star" is much the same.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 30,661 times
solibs is exactly correct:
On older brick and stone houses, usually in the East, the sides of the buildings begin to bow out from the weight. Engineers run a big steel rod through the house (usually one in the attic and one in the basement) which is threaded on each end. Then they place a big steel plate on each end and secure it with nuts on each end as well. Many old buildings around the Mid-Atlantic have them, especially barns.
Then some person decided that the steel plate could be cut as a design, like a star, or a moon, or the Sun, and they started having stars on the old buildings. They were initially structural and they have evolved into a decoration, which is rather stupid if you consider their origin.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM

1,374 posts, read 5,002,888 times
And here all along I thought it was sort of a warning the the home owner is an AH..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey