Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

59 posts, read 173,894 times

Advertisements

The title could be a little more refined, but it's what my fingers typed....

Here are the reasons:

1. I feel like I'm the one chasing him for all the answers. I have to make 3 or more calls to get a hold of him.
2. I sent an email of things that we wanted to get fixed and asked him to contact me to advise B4 sending it to the sellers. 3 days later, I learn that he had sent it directly quoting from my own email. I used fragmented sentences and used 2 fonts. Very unprofessional.
3. We are now 7 days b4 closing. 3 days ago I had a level 2 chimney inspect. 2 days ago I got a 11,667 estimate and sent it the lawyer to advise. Called him yesterday morning and he was suppose to call back. called at 5pm, he said that he didn't look at the email yet and would call this morning. Still waiting for a call.... grrrrr.... I just want to give the sellers ample time to think about the credit and not think that we are trying to pull a fast one which we are not.

I ask the forum... Is this normal? I only can blame myself for not doing the necessary research in picking the lawyer. I don't want to slander anyone, so if anyone would like to know who NOT to pick, DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenboba View Post
The title could be a little more refined, but it's what my fingers typed....

Here are the reasons:

1. I feel like I'm the one chasing him for all the answers. I have to make 3 or more calls to get a hold of him.
2. I sent an email of things that we wanted to get fixed and asked him to contact me to advise B4 sending it to the sellers. 3 days later, I learn that he had sent it directly quoting from my own email. I used fragmented sentences and used 2 fonts. Very unprofessional.
3. We are now 7 days b4 closing. 3 days ago I had a level 2 chimney inspect. 2 days ago I got a 11,667 estimate and sent it the lawyer to advise. Called him yesterday morning and he was suppose to call back. called at 5pm, he said that he didn't look at the email yet and would call this morning. Still waiting for a call.... grrrrr.... I just want to give the sellers ample time to think about the credit and not think that we are trying to pull a fast one which we are not.

I ask the forum... Is this normal? I only can blame myself for not doing the necessary research in picking the lawyer. I don't want to slander anyone, so if anyone would like to know who NOT to pick, DM me.
To an attorney... doing real estate is milk money.. spare change. They are all pretty much like this..well except for mine . Mine is also a personal friend so she knows I know where she lives and that'll I'll drive to her house if she doesn't call me back

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
Show up at his office and wait to be seen. Can't hurt

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM

hmmmm.... I may not know where he lives, but I can drive to his office to RATCHET UP THE HEAT!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 AM

52 posts, read 172,618 times
We were underwhelmed with ours.

The seller we were working with was giving us too much grief about the oil tank during attorney review so we wanted out of our deal. We emailed/left a VM for the paralegal we are working with only to find she was out for 2 days and the only one who could take care of this for us. She finally took care of it for us but it was kind of annoying having to wait.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
To an attorney... doing real estate is milk money.. spare change. They are all pretty much like this..well except for mine . Mine is also a personal friend so she knows I know where she lives and that'll I'll drive to her house if she doesn't call me back
Same for me, personal friend - but he didn't even handle the majority of the work. His assistant did it, and she always responded quickly, incorporated comments, etc. - and I could NEVER imagine him putting someone else's language in a legal document coming from his office.

I'd say your lawyer isn't very good. I'd also say its late in the game to change the players, but you should definitely be obstinate. Do not leave a message. Remain on the phone and wait. This is incredibly important.

If you are working with an agent, or the sellers are, since your lawyer is incompetent.... contact your agent (preferred) or their agent (not preferred), and alert them to your chimney discoveries (do not mention pricing) and that you are discussing items with your lawyer, just so they don't find it a last-minute surprise.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM

I hear you Hobo1040... They sound so good over the phone when you lawyer-hunt, but are completely underwhelming. Yes, and it seems like his paralegal is always out. That's an excuse that he's used sometimes... annoying...

And yes, i will go to the office if I don't hear anything by 3pm.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Will do CuCullin... I did mention to my agent the ineptness and the situation with the Chimney. I will ask him to talk to the owner to alert them of the chimney discoveries. good idea....

Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Attorney was probably the best (and only) thing that came out of my sale. I had Foxtons who went out of business while I was selling. So basically my attorney and myself had to take on agent role.

Attorney - 95% of time I called - he answered. Everything was done within hours. Professional, made calls to other real estate agents to get things moving..
He was recommended by a co-worker.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
My attorney was horrible. Because of him our deal almost completely fallen through. He did the same thing as the OP, took the email and sent it to the buyer, even changed a few things and in the email we had stated please call that we can discuss the points.

The major point was the chimney, which our attorney had told the seller we would fix. We had told our attorney we would not address that issue. Two weeks before closing the buyers are insisting on a $15,000 new chimney. Our attorney was no help whatsover. Thank God for my real estate agent, she saved the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: