U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:18 PM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 507,518 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me information on any of these areas. Are any of them safe for a family to live in? Also, how close are they to any kind of "life"? If anyone has any pictures, I would greatly appreciate that too.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,414,573 times
I really like Cranbury. It has a little town center, nice homes...good half way point from NYC to Philly. But I hear the propety taxes are a little high as a down point.

Hackettstown is very pretty and also has a town center. I have a few friends that live there, its' nice, but it's north west jersey, so that means a little more quiet and rural surroundings. It's a little too quiet for my own taste, but if you're into that it's a good spot.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM

604 posts, read 1,993,766 times
Plainfield is just not a great place to live or shop. It does however have a large Gay community and an even larger Black community. If either of those two suit your needs then maybe Plainfield would be OK.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Thanks!

actually i prefer to live near arts, muesums, culture, recreation, diversity. however, it seems that the only "affordable" areas for me would be the above.

most of you natives have told me that jersey would be too expensive for my budget...but I am determined to move.

again, any additional information would be appreciated.

thanks.

p.s. i am narrowing down to roselle...anyone have any more information on either roselle or flemington would be great!

Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 451,892 times
If you want arts and culture, Flemington is not the right place for you. It is a nice town but it is very distant from anything of any interest. It is a rather boring area. It is in its own little world.
Cranbury is a great town! It is quaint and a great place to live. It is also in a good location, you can get to NYC and Philly with ease. It is off the TPK and near 195/295 as well. Cranbury's property taxes are not as high as many towns local to it.
I vote for Cranbury!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Default roselle

i think this town may work for me. does anyone have any info on it?

thx

Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM

1,688 posts, read 2,170,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
i think this town may work for me. does anyone have any info on it?

thx
Not the safest on your list. I wouldn't want to move my family there (in fact, when I was a tyke, my family moved me AWAY from there). Personally, I'd pick Cranbury.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:47 PM

562 posts, read 1,847,409 times
roselle, is next to Elizabeth.. roselle is mostly a black community.. taxes are pretty high for the size of homes.. it's not that bad of a town..
you might want to look into Elizabeth too.. it's a more diverse community.. many shops.. easy transportation to NYC or anywhere since it;s near all major highways.. it has many cultural events on the summer.. oh and many restaurants and coffee shops are open late.. need more info just send me a message..

Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Default elizabeth and cranbury

i have noticed other people on this forum have been critical of Elizabeth. How safe is this city? Also, on Cranbury, how expensive is it? How much would the average rent be for a 2 bedroom apt?

does anyone know if there is a site where I can check the crime rate etc?

thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,381 times
I grew up in Roselle, it was nice in the 80's and early 90's. Taxes are really high because there is no industry to cover the overhead. Plainfield is not good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey