Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times

Advertisements

I think we all have to relax a little with our kids today. Everyone wants them to be doing 5th grade work in 1st grade.

My eldest started school in a VERY academically focused school. But that was their only focus. Development of the "whole" child was not a consern. I noticed a lot of the kids, including my own, hated school by the end of first grade because they were being pushed too much. That's when I realized I wanted my kids in a school where they would learn, but also have a good arts program, lots of activities, and the opportunity to stay KIDS for the little time they have to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
its not the kids its the system. boys are treated as little girls with a pinus.
behavior and disciple should be treated different. coed is a bad idea. we have made
grave errors in education in the last 40 years.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:21 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Girls and boys can both be treated unfairly based on the teacher, the teacher more than anyone else. I also don't think you can take learning styles and break them down on gender alone. The problem is that MOST schools and many teachers have a one size fits all model, and that size may fit 2 kids out of 30 in their class... but so be it.

I don't really think going back to segregating schools by gender is the way to go.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not the kids its the system. boys are treated as little girls with a pinus.
behavior and disciple should be treated different. coed is a bad idea. we have made
grave errors in education in the last 40 years.
from my experience going to an all girl's school - TERRIBLE! wouldn't do that to my kids. you can't live life segregated by gender so in my mind it doesn't prepare you for the real world.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Girls and boys can both be treated unfairly based on the teacher, the teacher more than anyone else. I also don't think you can take learning styles and break them down on gender alone. The problem is that MOST schools and many teachers have a one size fits all model, and that size may fit 2 kids out of 30 in their class... but so be it.

I don't really think going back to segregating schools by gender is the way to go.
I agree with you. I learn like a boy...very hands on, and HATE lots and lots of details.
If classes had been segregated as has been suggested, then I definately would have been left behind. Now..mind you, I didnt like school throughout my childhood, but if Id been stuck in a room full of just girls I think I'd have hated it.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM

157 posts, read 780,559 times
To the original poster:

I think you should try to put your child into a regular kindergarten. If he is not ready acedemically, definately give him a transition year. If he is ready (or ahead) academically, that is great: All children have challenges. His will be to learn impulse control & good classroom behavoir. This will be your job.

I haven't had this exact problem (I have 2 girls), but one of my daughters does have some anxiety with speaking in school (this is almost the opposite problem).

I find K to be an important year for them to learn to be students. It is important that parents work with, and back up the teacher. I don't believe boys can be given a pass on behavior- this will only hurt them in the end. Most, with the help of teacher and parents will calm down and focus somewhere between K and 1st grade.

Good luck!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
Default RE: The TROUBLE with boys!!!

To the OP: Your son sounds a lot like my son!

When my son was younger I sent him to a home daycare and then a preschool just to play and be around other kids (PS, they kicked him out of daycare by the age of 4, they couldn't handle him!!). I also took him to Spanish classes. By the time he was 4, he hadn't learned to write his name like the other kids, nor did he care or have any interest whatsoever.

When he was evaluated for kindergarten (he wasn't quite 5 yet), the evaluator told me she was concerned that my son didn't know his colors and couldn't write his name. I laughed and said, (1) he does know his colors, in fact he knows them in Spanish and English, but your evaluation was about 20 minutes long, roughly...oh, I don't know, ...19 minutes too long in his opinion!!! Therefore, you had been dismissed, and (2) he can't write his name....so what? He's 4!!

My son is now 11...and as soon as he started kindergarten, they felt he had ADHD. I medicated him btwn ages 6-11, only on school days and not all the time (he missed some days and didn't take it on other days, such as half days). Now he is in 6th grade, and is off all meds. Stop worrying, send him to kindergarten, whatever will be will be, let the chips fall where they may.

My son:
-Had the best handwriting in the class when he learned to write in both print AND script
-Has been a straight A student always with the exception of 1 marking period last year (he dropped to a B one semester)
-plays the guitar, piano, and trumpet in the school band
-sang in the school choir and was in the school play
-always scores well above average in both Language Arts and Math on the NJ ASK test
-Always reads above grade level and spent the last 4 years in the gifted program
-Graduated from grammar school to middle school with multiple academic awards
-Greater than 90% of the tests he brings home are 100 (sometimes more with extra credit)
-Loves to play baseball, ride his bike, swim, and has been in scouting since first grade
-Is a well adjusted, happy kid!!!

If this is TROUBLE, I'll take it!!!

All of this from the kid they thought was SLOW because he didn't know his colors and couldn't write his name at the whopping age of 4!!!! . And when he was little he never sat still, moved around all the time, never paid attention, and touched everything!!

DON'T get stressed out. Every human being, every person is different. He may not conform to what might be viewed as "normal" developmental milestones, but you may find out that he will not only catch up quickly, he will surpass others, as my son did. I took the assessment of my son for what it was worth--the paper it was written on!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,175 times
You mean you don't want to just give your kid a bag of pills and be done with it? Do a search on "the neurobiology of ADHD." They can confirm ADHD with a PET Scan (abnormal electric activity), but the insurance companies won't pay for that (they only cost 200 usd in Thailand; not the 2000 usd they charge here). They will pay for the "bag of pills," though.
I've also heard that the ADHD diagnosis red flags some perfectly normal behaviors in boys. Something tells me that the book mentioned goes into that. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Here is a suggestion that might work. Most public school kindergartens have a regular class designated for IEP kids, ones with already diagnosed learning differences. These kids are mainstreamed into a regular classroom with several extra teachers on hand. Our daughter is extremely high energy, very active, talkative etc. Even though she is just an really active kid and so far has no learning differences, she ended up by the luck of the draw in this integrated classroom. We do sometimes wonder about ADHD but at this age it is hard to tell the difference between a very active child and one with a difference. But she is in a good place. One added bonus was the special ed teachers on hand noticed a speech issue that may have gone unnoticed in a regular classroom.

With four teachers in the classroom, there is little chaos. She is doing very well. All the children seem to get a lot of attention. The special teachers are trained to work with all sorts of personalities. It worked out quite well for us. Perhaps you can inquire about this type of classroom at your school.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,477 times
Default Teaching, is an Educator and Social Worker all rolled into one

My sister has taught for nearly twenty years in NJ, this energetic, Master degreed educator has had her spirit broken. She has been moved around,annually, in an under performing inner city, where parents rarely show up for parent teacher meetings, and defend their children's bad behavior. ( I know you shouldn't speak in second person, but, Teaching, is all my sister aspired to be, when we were children) I speak to her daily, and she states that, "when I do get a motivated child, a bad attitude always follows". I tell her, from my Psych 101, that those behaviors usually are a call for attention. My only reassurance to her is, "If, one child, one child, breaks through to the other side ( passes tests, seeks higher education ) then you have done your job!"

This story, sad but true, when, in reality, we all wish that All the children, and parents will value an education, and aspire for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: